JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Amazon Deal of the Day - sounds like Sunday only, but I'm not sure.

Mountain House "Just In Case" freeze-dried buckets

My favorite is the "Classic" bucket $47.99 shipped. I already have a couple. This is the cheapest I've ever seen it. At this price I may have to get a couple more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00955DUHQ

For comparison, here is the Epicenter in Eugene's ad for it. Their lowest price (based on buying 6) is $72.

http://theepicenter.com/catalogsearch/result/?attr=0&q=Just+in+case+bucket

Mountain House's other two "just in case" buckets are on sale at Amazon today too.

The bucket is good by itself for carrying stuff, is airtight and has extra room for small items. Add fire-starters/matches, small water filter, cheap poncho, space blanket, a map, button compass, small multi-tool, extra socks and underwear, ammo and a keystick with essential books/documents on it and you've got a pretty good off-site cache. ;)

It's an essential rule of prepping not to have all your preps in one place. Caching is cool!

Just ordered 2 buckets. Never used these before but they seem to get good reviews all over the internet. Im going to use them to supplement a few meals here and there camping this summer. i will also throw a few under the back seat off the truck for emergencies.

What a great deal. These individual MtHouse run about $6 each. My wife and I eat them when we go kayaking and they are really good!

Costco currently has a bulk pack for sale as well (piled up at the end cap in Tigard store right on the main aisle by the foods). Sorry I don't have the full details, but if you are going to be heading out camping and missed the Amazon deal, look for it.

Costco currently has a bulk pack for sale as well (piled up at the end cap in Tigard store right on the main aisle by the foods). Sorry I don't have the full details, but if you are going to be heading out camping and missed the Amazon deal, look for it.

I bought a bunch of their (Costco) MH meals in a box for under $50 (12 per box) a couple of years ago.

I keep an eye open for those - about the best deal I have seen on MH meals.

I have eaten 30+ year old MH pouch meals and they are still decent. Those were the older foil packets - the newer ones are better (thicker, more durable). So I have no problem using them as long term emergency meals. I keep a dozen in my daily driver with about 3 gallons of water (stored in thick plastic half liter pop bottles I have washed out) along with other GHB gear. If I ever get stuck somewhere in my car, I would have enough food and water for 3 adults for a couple of days. If I need to walk home, then I have enough lightweight food to last me for at least 4 days (I also have a couple pounds of jerky in the car).

Picked up 3 "premium" MH 13 pouch boxes at HIllsboro Costco today for $47 each.

Each pouch was 2, 2.5 or 3 "serving" pouches (most of their pouches are that size).

That is $3.60 per pouch, which is about the best price I have seen in decades. When you compare the cost per calorie, the pouches are about the same price as the meals in cans, and although the cans are rated to last longer (12 yr. for pouch vs. 30 yr. for cans), and although I have six cases of cans, I prefer the pouches because they are more portable, I can hand out single meals, I can open them meal by meal instead having to use up a whole can once I open it, and I can sample the meals easier and cheaper than the cans.

I've also eaten pouch meals that are 30 years old using the older pouch tech, and they are quite edible. Not haute cuisine, but good enough for me.

Several pallets worth as you walk in the door.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews