JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So me and some buddies wer talking yesterday. We all ride motorcycles and started pondering if we could just sling a longarm, be it rifle or shotgun, and head off to the range for some shooting.
If the weapon was unloaded would we be breaking any laws?
Im not talking about just riding around town here, but going to a shooting area. But on that note, would it be any different than trucks having gun racks in the back window with weapons for all to see?
I did a search on here but really couldnt find the info I wanted.

I thought displaying rifles on racks in Washington was illegal now. Is that not the case? I haven't seen one in years which is why I ask.

The reason I wouldn't carry a rifle on my bike is more for protection of the firearm. Drivers suck in our state and if I get clipped or my bike gets knocked over, my guns are more prone to damage. I'd rather tow/trot my bike to a spot and then use my bike to go up the trails and then go shoot...that's when I'd feel more comfortable mounting a gun to my bike.

Now that you mention it I cant think of the last time I saw a rifle in a pickup rack so I dont know on that. The reason Im wondering is the place where we usually go shooting\off-roading is just right out of town and would be way easier to just ride to it and not have to deal with loading the bikes in the back of my pickup.

I thought displaying rifles on racks in Washington was illegal now. Is that not the case? I haven't seen one in years which is why I ask.

The reason I wouldn't carry a rifle on my bike is more for protection of the firearm. Drivers suck in our state and if I get clipped or my bike gets knocked over, my guns are more prone to damage. I'd rather tow/trot my bike to a spot and then use my bike to go up the trails and then go shoot...that's when I'd feel more comfortable mounting a gun to my bike.

If you're far enough out of the city it might be worth chancing it. Or ask a local sheriff to see if you're going to get any crap for it.

Don't you guys have a 1,000 yard range out that way? I was told you do, but wanted to confirm.

If you're far enough out of the city it might be worth chancing it. Or ask a local sheriff to see if you're going to get any crap for it.

Don't you guys have a 1,000 yard range out that way? I was told you do, but wanted to confirm.

Both me and my buddy would have to ride through the city to get to it, so cops would most likely see it.

I don't know if we have a 1,000 or not, maybe a 500-600 but the pits are pretty old and decrepid last time I looked. Ill ask around see how long it is.

Open carry is legal in WA so under that I would say you are fine; however RCW 9.41.270 is currently being used to charge a Vancouver man who was open carrying and you could be charged under similar conditions.

If there was a way to ride with the rifle in some sort of case; even slung over the shoulder as long as it is in a case, my interpretation would be you are legal.

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

I've done it before but keep the rifles in gun cases, they are bungied to the side of the bike pointing upward and unloaded with the mags unloaded, the bolts, if they are removable, and the ammo in the saddlebags. I've never been stopped but I think I'm as in compliance with the laws regarding transport in a car as I can be.

Open carry is legal in WA so under that I would say you are fine; however RCW 9.41.270 is currently being used to charge a Vancouver man who was open carrying and you could be charged under similar conditions.

If there was a way to ride with the rifle in some sort of case; even slung over the shoulder as long as it is in a case, my interpretation would be you are legal.

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Open carry is legal in WA state.. that is until you try it

I have no idea about Wa but, here in Or., I got a backpack that has a spot for a rifle and had no problems at all. I called my local police dept and was told that I was fine as long as it was unloaded. Again, this is in Or. but it sure saved me a lot of gas money when I wanted to go hunting on nicer days.

RCW 9.41.270

Yes, 911? There is a man here at the driving range with a 9 iron hitting balls down range. Can we get the SWAT team down here?

I'll preface this by stating I am not a lawyer, but that clause "...in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons." is sticky. My interpretation is that by virtue of being on a motorcycle, which requires 2 hands to operate, you are in a "time and place" that you are physically unable to "intimidate another" since you need 2 hands to operate a rifle, and those hands are tied up, so to speak.

Again, I'm NOT a lawyer, and I just know if I tried this on my bike on my way to browns camp, I'd definitely have cherry lights behind me from a braindead soccer mom calling me in.

I'll preface this by stating I am not a lawyer, but that clause "...in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons." is sticky. My interpretation is that by virtue of being on a motorcycle, which requires 2 hands to operate, you are in a "time and place" that you are physically unable to "intimidate another" since you need 2 hands to operate a rifle, and those hands are tied up, so to speak.

Again, I'm NOT a lawyer, and I just know if I tried this on my bike on my way to browns camp, I'd definitely have cherry lights behind me from a braindead soccer mom calling me in.

You also neglected to consider the "warrants alarm for the safety of other persons" clause."

I think there are very, very few situations where any type of open carry "warrants alarm," but a prosecutor might disagree. Especially if, for example, someone was cruising around downtown Seattle at lunch hour with a evil black rifle strapped to his back.

Well, I tried it out the other day with my scoped 10\22 on my back. Rode there and back with no problems. Felt very Mad Max like, lol.
I didnt see any cops but who knows if someone called me in or not, its only like 3 miles from my house, straight shot not through town.
On a side note, I think its still legal for a pickup to have a rack with rifles in it, because Ive seen a couple since the beginning of this thread

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top