JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a few friends and I are taking a motorcycle trip from Portland to San Francisco and camping along the way. Two of us have our CC lisences and permits from Oregon, Utah, and Arizona and actively carry here in Oregon.

We know we can't CC in California but is there a way we could bring our firearms with us to have while we camp? We are packing very lightly for the trip so having them locked up in a box someplace isn't really an option. Can they be in our camping packs strapped to the rear of our bikes?

Thanks in advance for the help. I just want to stay compliant but be safe.

No regular capacity magazines,only 10 rounders.
And separate the gun and the magazines/ammo_One in one bag and the other in another bag
If you were traveling thru,I would say lock everything up and don't worry.But if you are GOING to,then get on a CA forum and ask which guns are legal to own down there.And there is no way you should leave them on the bike or at a hotel room while you are out.You will get the trouble for having brought them,as much as the perp for stealing them.

Have fun and be careful.

CA does not have a reciprocity agreement with any state... I'm in the same boat, I'll be riding to a friends place in Pismo Beach next month form Washington. I have OR, WA & Utah but my 1911 will be locked up once I get to Commiefornia.

I wouldn't bother carrying there as you won't be protected by FOPA.
Too many issues with the legal status there. You'll have to get different mags and of course make sure your gun is even legal there.
If you really want to know what's required get on a Cali forum or check out opencarry.org
It's been my experience that the guys on that specific forum have the best understanding of the law out of any other forum. This one included.

Mag capacity, magazine disconnect, no concealed without a miracle license, is the gun even legal there?

All because you aren't a gangster.

My recommendation: Skip going to Commiefornia.

I'll never set foot in that bubblegum hole and wouldn't mind if it slid into the ocean.
I was going to say this but he seemed like it was a trip that was going to happen.I thought I would play nice for once,lol
I have a son and grandson down there.
He just got married a second time.Now I have 2 more grand kids
I do not go to that state for any reason.Hopefully my kin will be out on vacation when it slides into the ocean

The entire state of California is going to be destroyed on May 29th, this Friday.

However, it will only happen in movie theaters. Both San Francisco and Los Angeles will be completely destroyed, and most Californians killed in the flick.

However, it appears that Dwayne Johnson manages to somehow survive.

The entire state of California is going to be destroyed on May 29th, this Friday.

However, it will only happen in movie theaters. Both San Francisco and Los Angeles will be completely destroyed, and most Californians killed in the flick.

However, it appears that Dwayne Johnson manages to somehow survive.

OK, that's some funny shiet!!! Carry a "small" concealed piece that if "John Law" takes it, it wont hurt too much. That way you're covered if ya really need it. Better to have an not need than to need and not have..........

We are packing very lightly for the trip so having them locked up in a box someplace isn't really an option. Can they be in our camping packs strapped to the rear of our bikes?

California law requires that the handgun be locked up inside a hard container, and unloaded.

Failure to do so is a misdemeanor. If you have no criminal history, you will probably just get probation. Your firearm, though, will be seized. Good luck in getting it back.

If you take a gun with you, don't take a nice one that you would regret losing.

I was going to say this but he seemed like it was a trip that was going to happen.I thought I would play nice for once,lol
I have a son and grandson down there.
He just got married a second time.Now I have 2 more grand kids
I do not go to that state for any reason.Hopefully my kin will be out on vacation when it slides into the ocean

I recommend that you convince your kin to leave that awful place. Have they considered moving to America?

Why would anyone want to go to that place. ??????

Perhaps the people moving to California are Bay Watch fans:

:eek:

article-2026763-0AD9BE0F000005DC-673_468x564.jpg

Cool, so no gun for me. I can't lock it up anywhere. No room for a lock box. I'll feel weird not having the XDS on my side but that's what I needed to know. Thanks guys.

I ride motorcycles regularly; there are small lightweight secure boxes that qualify and you should buy one if not wishing to risk confiscation, arrest, conviction. Must be stored unloaded when traveling in California.

See: http://www.fourseasonsguns.com/safes.html

Portable Security Case with Key Lock
Model # PC-95K
$20
I think about 90% of the gun owners have that thing in their trunk,per my kid and his friends
Of course,him being from California,if he says everyone then he saw one in a trunk once:D

How is it secure with that wimpy cable? Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like side-cutters would go right through that cable. Or is the idea just to keep things legal, vs any real security? Whatever, trying to make sense of these laws is futile.

How is it secure with that wimpy cable? Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like side-cutters would go right through that cable. Or is the idea just to keep things legal, vs any real security? Whatever, trying to make sense of these laws is futile.
Your assumption is actual security vs perceived security.

That's also how their gun laws work. They are perceived as working when it's all a vapor.

:). :eek:

I rode Route 66 few years back and used the lock box mentioned above tucked in one of my saddlebags in the states where carrying wasn't legal; last 800-900 miles was in California up PCH. They don't take up much room and you can always move some equipment out of the saddlebag to a duffle if space is an issue. Just make sure you either lock the saddlebags or secure the box with the cable.

Side note: The cable is thin but constructed like a bicycle cable so you would have a hard time cutting through easily/quickly.

I rode Route 66 few years back and used the lock box mentioned above tucked in one of my saddlebags in the states where carrying wasn't legal; last 800-900 miles was in California up PCH. They don't take up much room and you can always move some equipment out of the saddlebag to a duffle if space is an issue. Just make sure you either lock the saddlebags or secure the box with the cable.

Side note: The cable is thin but constructed like a bicycle cable so you would have a hard time cutting through easily/quickly.
Not really. I have a cable cutter that goes thru bigger one easily. Now I'm not saying this just to make you wrong.
The idea is,if someone does cut the cable and steal the gun,Ca will try to make you the bad guy anyway.
Do all you can to make the gun safe.
So if you are going to go on hikes or such,then maybe taking a gun isn't the smartest move. You leave it in the bike and go thru the tourist traps,where the thieves are waiting. Ca LEO will ask why you had it in the first place.
They will try to make you the bad guy
Be safe

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top