JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am wondering if any of you guys know whether or not it is illegal for me to carry while I'm riding a motorcycle on the street. I have my CHL, and also have read that it's illegal while riding an ATV, but haven't seen a law stating it is or is not illegal while riding a street-legal motorcycle.

Concealed handgun permit? I carry on my motorcycle and from my understanding with the permit I can carry on an ATV also.

If you have an Oregon permit - you can carry while riding a gocart, scooter, skateboard, bus, parachute, and yes while riding a turtle. ( in the state of Oregon)

I edited the OP, but yes I have my CHL. I was listening to a talk show that was hosting an Oregon representative who tried to pass a bill to make it legal for ATV riders to carry a handgun, but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to hear if they mentioned having a chl or not.

I am wondering if any of you guys know whether or not it is illegal for me to carry while I'm riding a motorcycle on the street. I have my CHL, and also have read that it's illegal while riding an ATV, but haven't seen a law stating it is or is not illegal while riding a street-legal motorcycle.

wow. this is a good question. to place the gun off your person while riding would imly you have a tank bag or other, but bikes dont come with that as OEM and would require you to purchase that separately - at which case the state would probably need to fund that if they made that a requirement. If you were to "transport a firearm" on your person - no doubt the gun would need to be unloaded - my hunch is that it would would fly.

I am not up on OR law (I am a WA guy) but from what I have seen others talk about even with a CHL you can NOT carry on an ATV (other then unloaded and for transportation).

Looks like someone got it while I was typing.

If you have an Oregon permit - you can carry while riding a gocart, scooter, skateboard, bus, parachute, and yes while riding a turtle. ( in the state of Oregon)

FAWK this guy is an idiot - dont listen to him.

seriously i cannot believe this to be a restriction. I am blown away. I need to dig deeper not sure why this would be illegal for a permit holder on an ATV. I dont get it.

glock.40,
With your CHL you may legally CC on your street bike. I was stopped last summer while riding. I moved slowly and communicated clearly and chose to inform LEO of my CHL. He asked where my firearm was and went about his business, no big deal.

Regarding the (separate) ATV issue, I believe HB 2797 ( <broken link removed> ) was introduced this year to attempt to exempt CHL holders regarding ATV carry; However, last I heard, it passed the house but was gummed up in the senate, I don't know if final determination has been made on that bill yet.

Wow, there's a bunch of misinformed gun owners in here. Glad to see that some have done their research.

It is illegal to carry a loaded weapon on an ATV. On your streetbike it is legal.

suggested reading:
OR_GOG.jpg

Oregon Firearms Federation

Last edited by a moderator:
On a dual sport it is legal to carry while on roads. Off road the law requires you unload your weapon. Of course, as soon as you dismount, it is again legal to carry. Interestingly for me, what got me interested in getting a CHL and protection initially, was coming up close and personal with bears on two occassions while riding. I'll be discrete, but I'll take the chance of a fine over being mauled on my dual sport. YMMV.

Stupid law, but not the only one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads