Carrying while riding a motorcycle

Reactions
I am wondering if any of you guys know whether or not it is illegal for me to carry while I'm riding a motorcycle on the street. I have my CHL, and also have read that it's illegal while riding an ATV, but haven't seen a law stating it is or is not illegal while riding a street-legal motorcycle.

OP
G
Reactions
I edited the OP, but yes I have my CHL. I was listening to a talk show that was hosting an Oregon representative who tried to pass a bill to make it legal for ATV riders to carry a handgun, but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to hear if they mentioned having a chl or not.

Reactions
Reactions
I am wondering if any of you guys know whether or not it is illegal for me to carry while I'm riding a motorcycle on the street. I have my CHL, and also have read that it's illegal while riding an ATV, but haven't seen a law stating it is or is not illegal while riding a street-legal motorcycle.
wow. this is a good question. to place the gun off your person while riding would imly you have a tank bag or other, but bikes dont come with that as OEM and would require you to purchase that separately - at which case the state would probably need to fund that if they made that a requirement. If you were to "transport a firearm" on your person - no doubt the gun would need to be unloaded - my hunch is that it would would fly.

Reactions
I am not up on OR law (I am a WA guy) but from what I have seen others talk about even with a CHL you can NOT carry on an ATV (other then unloaded and for transportation).

Looks like someone got it while I was typing.

Reactions
If you have an Oregon permit - you can carry while riding a gocart, scooter, skateboard, bus, parachute, and yes while riding a turtle. ( in the state of Oregon)
FAWK this guy is an idiot - dont listen to him.

seriously i cannot believe this to be a restriction. I am blown away. I need to dig deeper not sure why this would be illegal for a permit holder on an ATV. I dont get it.

Reactions
glock.40,
With your CHL you may legally CC on your street bike. I was stopped last summer while riding. I moved slowly and communicated clearly and chose to inform LEO of my CHL. He asked where my firearm was and went about his business, no big deal.

Regarding the (separate) ATV issue, I believe HB 2797 ( <broken link removed> ) was introduced this year to attempt to exempt CHL holders regarding ATV carry; However, last I heard, it passed the house but was gummed up in the senate, I don't know if final determination has been made on that bill yet.

Reactions
On a dual sport it is legal to carry while on roads. Off road the law requires you unload your weapon. Of course, as soon as you dismount, it is again legal to carry. Interestingly for me, what got me interested in getting a CHL and protection initially, was coming up close and personal with bears on two occassions while riding. I'll be discrete, but I'll take the chance of a fine over being mauled on my dual sport. YMMV.

Stupid law, but not the only one.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom