JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You and I might be relations, Frank Devaney! Founded a school in the Scio area?

Franklin 'Frank' Pugh Devaney [1828-1925] m. 4 Oct 1849 to Jemima Jane White [1833-1902]. He was descended from Jenkins Devaney and I'm descended from his brother Aaron Deveny II: both sons of Aaron Deveny [1710-1777]. I've traced the family back to the immigrant William Deveny [1680-1751] who came from Dungannon, County Tyrone, Ireland to Monmouth County, New Jersey about 1700.

Albany Democrat of Albany, Oregon dated 29 Jan 1925, pg 1
F. P. DEVANEY, 96, OLDEST OF ELKS IN OREGON, IS CALLED
Pioneer of 1865, Retired Farmer Succumbs at Daughter's Home in Lebanon
Word was received here by relatives that F. P. DeVaney, 96, one of Oregon's oldest residents and said to have been the most aged member of the Elks' lodge in the state, a charter member of the Albany lodge, died last night at 8 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Serepta Hansard of Lebanon. Mr. DeVaney was born October 30, 1828, in North Carolina, and at the age of 19, he migrated with his parents to Rhone [sic] county, Tennessee, in 1847. There he married Miss Jennie White, October 4, 1849, and in the same year they left for Missouri. They lived in Missouri until April 16, 1864, when they came to Oregon. They stopped at Boise, Idaho, on the way, arriving in Oregon in the fall of 1865, and settling at Green's bridge, near Jefferson, in Marion county. Two years later, Mr. and Mrs. DeVaney moved to a farm now known as the DeVaney place on Thomas creek, in Linn county. They lived there for 47 years until the death of Mrs. DeVaney occurred, August 24, 1902. After that Mr. DeVaney retired and lived with his children. He lived at Lebanon and Albany at various times. Mr. DeVaney is survived by the following children: Mrs. J. M. V. Bilyeu of Albany; Mrs. S. M. Hansard of Lebanon; Mrs. S. P. Hansard of Great Falls, Montana; Frank DeVaney of Thomas, Or., R. L. DeVaney of Roseburg; G. M. DeVaney of North Bend, Ore., and A. J. DeVaney of Jefferson. He is also survived by 21 grandchildren. Mr. DeVaney was a member of B.P.O.E., and I.O.O.F. lodges. He had been a member of the Jefferson I.O.O.F. lodge for more than 50 years. The funeral will be held at the Lebanon Presbyterian church at 11 o'clock tomorrow morning, and burial will be at 2 o'clock in the afternoon at the Franklin Butte cemetery near Scio. The grave services will be conducted by the members of the Elks' lodge, under the auspices of that order.

"My Grand Father was born in Franklin Co. North Carolina October 30 - 1828. He lived in the same Co. with his parents until he was 19 years old. He then moved with his parents to Rhone Co. Tenn. While living in Tenn. he became acquainted with Jamima Jane White a daughter of Geo. White and married her on the 4 of October 1849. After his marriage he left Tenn. on the 9th of same month and started for Mo. in a hack. When Grandma would get tired she would get out and ride a little sorrel pony called Trouble. Both of the other horses were bay. They stopped in Cas Co. Mo. and bought a farm near Harrisonville. He lived near Harrisonville about 16 yrs. While living near Harrisonville the Civil War begun and Grandpa enlisted with the 10th M. Calvary with General Reighars as Brigadier he was also with Price. He took part in the battles of Springfield, Lone Jack, Willson Creek, Carthage and Drywood, Kansas and other small skirmishes. Grandpa left the army of 63 and begun in 61. He was Segearnt of the guard as long as he was in the army. After leaving the army he remained in Mo. a short time and then start with 6 yoke of cows and one yoke of oxen. There were 29 wagons in the train part of the time there were 110 wagons. Grandpa had only 1 wagon. Grandpa left the train at Blackfoot about 100 miles from Boice City and went to Virginia City Montana and worked in the mine. He then went to Boice Cty and worked in the mines awhile and then came to the Willamette Valley in the Fall of 1865. GrandPa had 6 children when he crossed the Plains. My mother being born in Boice City, Idaho. This information was received by me from Grand Pa Devaney." Diary of Floyd Bilyeu, dated 2 Sep 1904

1890 Oregon, Linn Co., Scio Pct. Veterans Census
Frank P. DeVaney, Corporal, Co. A, 10th Missouri Cavalry, enlisted 15 Mar 1861, discharged 1 Nov 1863. Served 2 yrs, 7 mon, 16 days.

[In the citations above, I've preserved the original spelling.]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top