JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize Im opening a can of worms here.. .but since I have no idea I'm looking for input. Who makes the most accurate 17HMR 100-200yds? To date Im looking at the Savage Model 93R17-BTVS.

Suggestions?

Thanks

For the money and the round that is about as good as it gets.

I bought a Savage when they first came out (no accutrigger) and bought an adjustable sear from Rifle Basix. I have my stainless model set at 13oz pull and my blued model at 1lb.

an Anshutz would be nice... but since I just dropped 2k on my AR .. I think thats a bit out of my range. So its sounding like the Savage is the way to go, unless I win the lottery

Thanks for the input !

BTW, I bought my Anschutz for a reasonable price on rimfirecentral.com classifieds. Put a nice Leupold VX-L LR on top of it from a local Craigslist seller, and I have a nice setup for a reasonable price. On the other hand, you can get Savages off this board from a local seller for quite reasonable.

I'm looking at a 1.5" outside to outside group at 100yds fired with Federal's that I shot yesterday. Cold shots, just scrubbed the copper out real good. Savage 93R17 (has the heavy barrel contour), blued, inexpensive Bushnell Banner 4-10x, inexpensive Weaver rings, synthetic stock, and I filled the buttstock with sand (in one of wife's nylon stockings) for extra weight, inexpensive bipod. All from Bi-Mart.

Great truck gun for the orchards/farm and digger squirrels and sage rats. Absolutely no complaints on accuracy.

I bought a Marlin 917-v a few years ago, and mounted a Leupold 3-9x40 on it. That rifle is hands down, THE most accurate rifle out of the box I've ever fired. Not an expensive rifle, but a tack-driver none-the-less. Sub MOA @ 100 yards. Excellent varmint killer.

Guns009.jpg

Can't go wrong with the Savage, the Accu-trigger is great, and it's easy to modify it to below the factory 2.5LB minimum.

I just had mine at the range yesterday (100 yards), 3 shot groups were a hair over 1/2", my 5 shot groups opened up to an inch. I blame it partly on my crappy Tasco scope, half the time I couldn't get the damn thing to focus. But anyways I bought this rifle a few years ago at Bi-mart for $180 and it's my favorite gun to shoot. I've had it out to 200 yards and it'll hit empty ammo boxes with ease. And you wouldn't believe how destructive these little Vmax rounds are.

Not everybodies favorite, but I have a NEF Sportster that is one of my favorite HMR's. Also have one in Mach 2, both shoot great. Really can't go wrong with any previous recommendations. It's a great round. I also really like the 20 gr bullet.

value for money, savage 93r (any model). on a good day i will get 0.5moa from my 93r.

money no object, anschutz or volquartsen. they have trigger pull measured in grams!

I have owned two Savage 93R17s and they are very accurate. I have purchased three CZ 452s and have sold the Savages. Bottom line is the CZ is just a much more refined rifle with the same or better accuracy. Not Cooper level but much better than the Savage. Not putting down the Savage. Out of the box for the money Savage is a great value.

Website Rimfire Central will supply all the opinions you need about rifles.

The true question is Ammunition.

It was necessary for me to dismantle HMR ammunition and supply photographs of components in order to convince a very well-known gunwriter that he was wrong when he stipulated online that "all 17HMR comes from two sources, and is identical, except for bullet."

Winchester 17g ammo is not only the accuracy departure (in my gun) , but also a departure in powder used (against comparison to all others, looking similar to each other).

Still: 17HMR ammunition will never enjoy the attention to absolute detail for accuracy in rimfire ammunition (as is done for a price with 22lr.). It is a hunting cartridge, not a target cartridge, and so volume of sales cannot propel any research or accuracy beyond basic.

A fine Anschutz with crappy ammo for it will shoot poorer than an NEF break-action .17 with good ammo for it.

NO .17HMR owner interested in accuracy will neglect to pursue a (rather lengthy) project of research toward ammunition compatibility with his individual gun.

I realize Im opening a can of worms here.. .but since I have no idea I'm looking for input. Who makes the most accurate 17HMR 100-200yds? To date Im looking at the Savage Model 93R17-BTVS.

Suggestions?

Thanks
I've got a 93r, it's super accurate with cci A17's, I love it!. It doesn't much like any other rounds though, next in line are cci TNT's, they're pretty close to the A17's, but that's just mine, others may like different ammo
You can get cci ammo directly from cci, with the best price overall due to free shipping over $100

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top