JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mossberg 590® Shockwave | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

With a 14 inch barrel and a bird's head grip, how can it be legal without a stamp? Those with more knowledge, please help me understand. Will this be legal in Portland?
Yes legal. The first time i saw one of these a while back I too was shocked. Thought it had to be a ClassIII. Turns out it was the way the "rules" were written by the BATF. Someone must have been reading them and spotted it. It looks to me like it was NOT what they had in mind. Since these were never a shot gun they do not have to have and 18" tube. Another company is making one of these on the Saiga platform mag fed. Same thing. The receiver was never a shotgun so it's the same rules. When I first saw one of these I went to the one site selling them. They recommend you print out the rules and carry them with you. As a lot of LEO's would be likely to want to arrest you with one of these. You can make one of these your self out of any shotgun that never had a stock on it. So it was never made as a shotgun from the start. Company makes a kit to cut down the barrel the mag tube. They would be interesting to try for sure.

I have one assembled from the parts that Mossberg once sold (they stopped making the parts available to the public a couple of years ago). You had to start with a pistol-grip "shotgun", which is technically not a shotgun because it doesn't have a stock on it. Then there are minimum and maximum lengths that this thing fits right in to. I keep the paperwork on its legality with me in the case, but haven't been confronted yet.

The thing is really fun to shoot and I find it amazing how accurate I can be shooting from the hip (there is no aiming this thing with that birdshead grip on it).

I downloaded this from Shockwave, the place that makes the birdshead handle, a while ago:

2015-03-19_15-54-48.jpg

Products for Mossberg 500 Firearms | Shockwave Technologies

I have an 18.5" Mossberg 500 with that shockwave grip. It's a blast. I'm sure I'd love a 14", but I wanted one shotgun that could also take a stock.

There's no trouble at all holding this thing at eye level and sighting with the bead, provided you put some tension on it (push with support hand, pull back with primary hand) and don't hold it too close to your face. It's still mostly a point-shooting weapon, but it doesn't have to be from the hip. I felt no wrist pain after 75 rounds of mixed slugs, buck and bird.

It's good to start with low-recoil loads and play around a little so you're confident about how far it'll push back before sticking it up at eye level with heavy slug or buck loads... but I weigh 150 lbs and I have no trouble with mine, so don't be afraid to fire one of these.

Gotta get me a dedicated 14" when I'm rich.

Looks so darned coooool! :) Just looking at it makes my hands and wrists ache! A good pair of shooting gloves with wrist support would probably do the trick!
Look at me, all ababble about a pistol grip scattergun, don't like them but this one is really sleek and beautiful!
Needs a big, honking set of rifle sights! :D

Last Edited:
Here is a collection of snipits from all over describing how to shoot these things.

"Stop trying to shoot the PGO shotguns like a handgun, it will beat the crap out of your wrist. To shoot the PGO shotgun you pull back on the pistol grip and push forward with your support hand on the fore-end. It recoils almost straight back and doesn't pound the grip into the web of your hand. At near arms length with a modified weaver stance they are accurate and easily handled as you now control the direction of the recoil and can avoid your front teeth."

"The proper technique for the "witness protection shotgun" or any with the type of grip you have is...

Strong hand on pistol grip... support hand on action bar (fore stock). Shotgun held out as if it had a stock sight down the barrel (actually use the bead sight). With the support hand push forward towards the threat... with the strong hand pull back as if you were trying to stretch the weapon. The recoil will come back and down and not towards your face or up to the forehead. A federal agency I retired from issued such a shotgun and I was a career long instructor with that agency. Those that did not use this technique often required band-aides after the instructional course of fire and made a career decision to never check one out. People like me who loved the gun played on the range between classes shooting 1 oz slugs out of the things... just for grins!

The only modification of that technique was if it had a stand off device for breaching. In that case the standoff makes contact with the door and the weapon is pushed with both hands against the door."

-Matthew

Whatever mods you do, be sure your support hand can't slip past the muzzle. Several folks have KSG'ed their hands,not so clean off! Google "ksg support hand blown off"

I assume this is why they all come with that forend strap. My heavily modified Magpul forend won't let my hand slip forward either.

Update: I just added grip tape to my forend. This thing is slippery! Hope the tape helps. I may end up installing the Mossberg strap on the Magpul forend.

Last Edited:
Looks so darned coooool! :) Just looking at it makes my hands and wrists ache! A good pair of shooting gloves with wrist support would probably do the trick!
Look at me, all ababble about a pistol grip scattergun, don't like them but this one is really sleek and beautiful!
Needs a big, honking set of rifle sights! :D

That's the great thing about the shockwave grip, it really doesn't make my wrist ache. I previously had a heavier 20" 500 with one of the more typical pistol grips and it was way worse than these ones.

I have an 18.5" Mossberg 500 with that shockwave grip. It's a blast. I'm sure I'd love a 14", but I wanted one shotgun that could also take a stock.

There's no trouble at all holding this thing at eye level and sighting with the bead, provided you put some tension on it (push with support hand, pull back with primary hand) and don't hold it too close to your face. It's still mostly a point-shooting weapon, but it doesn't have to be from the hip. I felt no wrist pain after 75 rounds of mixed slugs, buck and bird.

It's good to start with low-recoil loads and play around a little so you're confident about how far it'll push back before sticking it up at eye level with heavy slug or buck loads... but I weigh 150 lbs and I have no trouble with mine, so don't be afraid to fire one of these.

Gotta get me a dedicated 14" when I'm rich.
For those who want one and don't want to pay the price they go for new there is a kit to do it at home with any Cruiser. It gives you the handle and a piece you press fit (hammer) over the front after cutting down the barrel and feed tube. Runs only about $35 or so IIRC. Been tempting enough for me to start looking for an old used cruiser. You would have to make SURE the gun you do this too was a cruiser from day one.

What shotgun shells do you go with? Low recoil 00 buckshot? I have a 18.5" 590A1 but it has a full stock on it and I use a buttstock side saddle for 6 more rounds. I use LE132 9 pellet 00 buckshot.

Does Mossberg include any BATFE paperwork, like the sig braces come with?

Don't know about the ones coming from Moss. The co that makes the parts to covert a Cruiser recommend that you print out the relevant info from the BATF and keep it with you when you have the gun. Probably not a bad idea although not sure how much good it would do. I have little doubt a LOT of LEO's would "think" this gun was illegal with no stamp. Not sure how much help showing them the printed info would do. When I first saw one of these advertised I was sure there had to be some catch. Was quite surprised to see these were legal.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top