JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now to find some Aquila mini shells that are not a $1 a round.....

I'm curious to know if there is a way to 'roll your own' and make your own mini shells. I've seen it done on YT, but not sure it's advisable. Maybe take some low brass shells, cut a 1/2" or so off, reload the projectile and crimp.

With the Aguila short shotshells you could probably stuff at least 7 of them in those shotgun "pistols".
That would make those guns king of the hill for short range work.
I'm sure that someone will come up with a holster for them too.

Yeah, yesterday. I posted their letter in this very thread. Do you not see the issue with Oregon DOJ calling them "pistols?"

When some with an OR CHL start carrying these I would expect someone there will pull their head out and reclassify them. I too wish WA would classify these as a handgun. If they did I would literally be down there the next day buying one.

When some with an OR CHL start carrying these I would expect someone there will pull their head out and reclassify them. I too wish WA would classify these as a handgun. If they did I would literally be down there the next day buying one.
A pistol with a smooth bore is an AOW. That's what these would become if they were under 26", so if some knuckle dragger put on a normal pistol grip, they would run afoul of the NFA.

Last Edited:
A pistol with a bore diameter over 0.5" is an AOW. That's what these would become if they were under 26", so if some knuckle dragger put on a normal pistol grip, they would run afoul of the NFA.

I know when you buy the kit they make it very clear what's ok and what's not. I would expect the same info comes with these that are made up. If not hard for me to feel bad for them if they are dumb. If someone cuts a shotgun barrel to 16" because they are too ignorant to know better it's the same thing. I suppose Mossberg and Remington could follow in the Ruger mold. Print all kinds of warnings all over the barrel warning you not to change anything on these to make them any shorter. :)

Last Edited:
A pistol with a smooth bore is an AOW. That's what these would become if they were under 26", so if some knuckle dragger put on a normal pistol grip, they would run afoul of the NFA.

Would they though? The ATF does not consider them pistols, so would the ATF's stance on them change just because a state decides to call them a pistol? Wouldn't an NFA violation be based on federal, rather than state law?

I'm also wondering - what about those already transferred as "firearm", are they now suddenly reclassified?

And what about buying one in Washington as an Oregon resident? Would that be allowed? I know I can buy a rifle or shotgun in WA, but what about a "firearm"? If that were legal, would it suddenly become a "pistol" when you cross the river"? Does the state have the authority to reclassify a weapon already classified by the ATF?

Lots of questions still lingering.

I'm also wondering - what about those already transferred as "firearm", are they now suddenly reclassified?

And what about buying one in Washington as an Oregon resident? Would that be allowed? I know I can buy a rifle or shotgun in WA, but what about a "firearm"? If that were legal, would it suddenly become a "pistol" when you cross the river"? Does the state have the authority to reclassify a weapon already classified by the ATF?

Lots of questions still lingering.
You can only buy long guns outside of your state of residence. Pistols, firearms, receivers, etc HAVE to be transferred through an FFL in your state of residence.

You can only buy long guns outside of your state of residence. Pistols, firearms, receivers, etc HAVE to be transferred through an FFL in your state of residence.

Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, until this subject came up, I had never been aware of the separate 4th classification "firearm". I knew pistols had to be in my home state, but the "firearm" thing is new to me.

Do you know, besides these two guns, are there many other "firearms" classified items out there?

And what do you think about my question on the right of the state to classify as a pistol what the ATF classifies as a "firearm"?

Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, until this subject came up, I had never been aware of the separate 4th classification "firearm". I knew pistols had to be in my home state, but the "firearm" thing is new to me.

Do you know, besides these two guns, are there many other "firearms" classified items out there?

And what do you think about my question on the right of the state to classify as a pistol what the ATF classifies as a "firearm"?
The old mossberg JIC was sold as a "firearm, pistol grip," and so is the Black Aces Tactical 12 ga. The state is 100% wrong in this case because they're dictating to federal firearms dealers how to classify something on a federal form.

If the states wanted sovereignty when it comes to firearm sales then they should have never supported the gun control act of 1968.

The old mossberg JIC was sold as a "firearm, pistol grip," and so is the Black Aces Tactical 12 ga. The state is 100% wrong in this case because they're dictating to federal firearms dealers how to classify something on a federal form.

If the states wanted sovereignty when it comes to firearm sales then they should have never supported the gun control act of 1968.

OR QM nailed it!

Black Aces Tactical made the DT, that came a couple years ago. Its a mossberg style receiver that is saiga style magazine fed and has a Sig brace for a stock. They built it and they classified it a "firearm" with BATFE. That opened the door for other "firearms" in the shotgun style to be produced.

Calling the Shockwave a pistol, should make it legal for a pistol grip to be added but then the OAL drops below 26".
So a Mesa tactical AR15 stock conversion with a sig brace and pistol grip would keep it over 26"s but would changing the grip change the classification of the firearm?
Wish they came with a breacher barrel, wood grips, and a leather strap.

Calling the Shockwave a pistol, should make it legal for a pistol grip to be added but then the OAL drops below 26".
So a Mesa tactical AR15 stock conversion with a sig brace and pistol grip would keep it over 26"s but would changing the grip change the classification of the firearm?
So long as the OAL is over 26", and a shoulder stock is NOT installed, you can do what you want. Forward pistol grip, sig brace, normal pistol grip, etc. same rules as an AR pistol that goes over 26".

To stay "good" with Fed law you could change the grip as long as the barrel was left long enough. As in building one of these from a Cruiser. The 26" in an OAL. Does not seem to matter how you do that to the Feds. Now the state of OR and this strange way they did it, who knows. I would be pretty surprised if this does not change again soon with OR. It sounds like someone who had no idea what the hell they were doing came up with the definition they did. Should be fun to watch this as it goes on a while.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top