Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mossberg 590 "extra" part - help!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by jneufeld, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jneufeld

jneufeld N. Oregon New Member

I was disassembling my Mossberg 590 the other day and when I was about to put it back together I spot this little metal piece on the table that I have no idea where it came from or where to put it back. It's cylindrical about 3mm in diameter and about 6mm long.

dscn9396o.th.jpg

I've gone over all the pieces 5 times but I don't see a hole or anything where something like this would go. Can anyone help me? I'll post pictures of the other parts if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Is that supposed to be between the firing pin and spring?

3. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

Try checking out 590 disassembly videos on youtube.com.

Hopefully you'll see your part and then you'll know where it came from.

4. jneufeld

Thanks for the replies so far! I've watched several vids on yourtube but I don't see the part anywhere. I've looked at the "exploded view" in the manual and can't see anything obvious.

I don't take apart the trigger or bolt assembly but I can't be sure it didn't fall off/out of them.

Here's the trigger assembly:

dscn9398.th.jpg

dscn9399.th.jpg

dscn9400.th.jpg

And here's the bolt assembly:

dscn9401.th.jpg

dscn9403.th.jpg

dscn9404t.th.jpg

dscn9402.th.jpg

I assembled it and everything "seems" to work ok, but I'm not willing to risk firing it with live ammo until it's for sure all back together.

5. 3 AE

3 AE Oregon Member

Could that possibly be a detent pin that would fit in a hole with a small spring behind it to bear up against the magazine tube fore end cap? It would prevent the cap from loosening from the magazine tube under recoil,etc. I looked all over the internet and there was a couple of references to the detent pin and spring NOT being listed in the assembly/exploded view drawings.The hole in the barrel ring which the pin and spring fit into should be staked to prevent the pin from falling out. Hope this helps.

6. jneufeld

Thanks 3 AE, I think you're right! I looked under the mag cap and there was a hole that the pin fit in perfectly, and now that you mentioned it I recall it being there when I first bought it. It looks like I lost the spring for it though, not sure how it got loose in the first place.

Under mag cap no pin:

dscn9413.th.jpg

Under mag cap with pin:

dscn9415n.th.jpg

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement? I looked online and couldn't find anything. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to make sure the cap stays on tight.

7. 3 AE

3 AE Oregon Member

You can send an email to Mossberg Customer Service at their website explaining that the spring and detent pin dropped out and that you lost the spring. They should send you another spring for free and have them explain to you how to stake the assembly to the barrel ring so it doesn't happen again. Good Luck.

8. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

looks right