JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up an M91/30 and needless to say its been in better condition... the barrel is banged up pretty good and the wood stock is in the same condition. looking around on the web i found that CBRPS makes a bullpup stock for $300 and ATI has a monte carlo stock for $70 any recommendations on which route is best? my brother is excellent with woodwork and said he'd refinish the wood stock any color i want for 75. any info is much appreciated.

For the mosin, I'd leave it be. She's not a beauty queen, she's a warrior. Hopefully she's also a shooter. Try some ammo thru her, and if its corrosive/surplus, make sure you know how to clean the bore properly BEFORE you shoot. Otherwise, stick with non-corrosive ammo.

Depends. If it is a project gun, do whatever with it you fancy and withing your budget. Keep in mind when done it won't be worth the sum of its parts. In my opinion, I would not waste money on a bullpup stock for a bolt gun. But that's me. Do not ignore Boyd stocks: Boyds' Mosin Nagant Socks

Else, I'd leave it be.

yeah i was thinking of just having the stock refinished would be the best way to go, what about the barrel? its not pretty, theres no deep scratches but one look at ths rifle and you tell its been through some tough times. the reciever and bolt are in great shape, is there any paint i could buy to make this classic shine once again?

To clean up a finish use 0000 (quad ought) steel wool and douse the metal with CLP. Rub the metal with lite short stokes and it should pretty it up after a bit of rubbing.
Why would you pay someone to do the stock. I did my own and i just got another COMPLIMENT on it.

Sometimes

Don't get the CBRP...that bullpup stock. Too many plastic parts that are going to be under stress. Plus a bolt action bullpup? nah.

I went the ATI route and can tell you it's not a drop-in solution. You'll have to channel and bed the rifle to regain accuracy. Plus with such a long barrel that is also thin you're going to not be happy with a short stock.

The Boyd's are good, but still there is the bedding and fitting.

I purchased an ATI stock for my ruger 10/22 and that worked pretty good, but for the mosin i think refinishing the original wood will be the best route. another problem ive run into is the scope mount, it seems like the only two ways to have a scope is removing the iron sights or mounting it directly onto the receiver...

Refinish the wood stock with an old iron(steam the dents in the wood out),baking soda(use it to remove excess moisture) get sone Krud cutter, cheese cloth, 0000 steel wool, some tung oil... youtube will show you the way! I did one a while ago the stock looks great, but again I'm selective about my mosins

I buy the old guns because they look cool "as is",never to change them. Seems like a waste of money.The don't go up in value any and they don't shoot any better.
But,it's a cheap gun and could be a cheap project.Heck for $75,you could buy supplies to do many guns.Fun to do also.