JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I just got a Mosin Nagant from a friend of mine. This is only my second gun, and I'm trying to find out what exactly all the markings mean. Don't have a quality camera to take a picture, I'll describe it as best I can.

It's on row 2, column C, here at 7.62:

Russian and Soviet Mosin Nagant Marks

The differences are, to the left of the serial number is AB.

Above the serial number is a box with either a capital I or L, I can't tell if the L mis-stamped onto the box.

Never seen these markings before, just curious what they mean.

Cheers everyone,
Drame22

do they resemble anything in Cyrilic?
cyrillic-alphabet.jpg

cyrillic-alphabet.jpg

Yup. From left column top-down first, they are the A, and then the B that apparently is actually a V.

Silly Russians and your weird letters!

Cheers,
Drame22

well that doesn't translate to anything word wise. any chance you can post a photo of it? and is it a 1944r like the one in the pic?
as far as the I in a box, it could be some unknown variation of an Izhevsk marking.

I don't think any of these responses really get to the question the OP is asking. A photo would help, but without a photo, that's not a mark I'm familiar with. I suggest shooting a photo and asking on 7.62x54r.net as suggested by mosinguy1. You can try again here with a photo, but that site is more likely to be helpful.

I don't think any of these responses really get to the question the OP is asking. A photo would help, but without a photo, that's not a mark I'm familiar with. I suggest shooting a photo and asking on 7.62x54r.net as suggested by mosinguy1. You can try again here with a photo, but that site is more likely to be helpful.

Which is why I posted my pic. The OP described the markings on a standard MN carbine series. the "7 in a square" describes exactly the re-armory mark on the receiver of my 44; it is really a diagonal strike in a square. This mark often appears on the stock as well indicating a post-war re-armored stock. Yes, a photo from the OP would be more help and 7.62x54R.net is a fantastic resource starting point for anyone interested in Mosin Nagants