Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin Nagant markings help.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Drame22, May 21, 2013.

1. Drame22

Drame22 Portland, OR Member

Hello,

I just got a Mosin Nagant from a friend of mine. This is only my second gun, and I'm trying to find out what exactly all the markings mean. Don't have a quality camera to take a picture, I'll describe it as best I can.

It's on row 2, column C, here at 7.62:

Russian and Soviet Mosin Nagant Marks

The differences are, to the left of the serial number is AB.

Above the serial number is a box with either a capital I or L, I can't tell if the L mis-stamped onto the box.

Never seen these markings before, just curious what they mean.

Cheers everyone,
    Drame22

2. dracozny

dracozny Oregon Member

do they resemble anything in Cyrilic?
    cyrillic-alphabet.jpg

cyrillic-alphabet.jpg

3. Drame22

Drame22 Portland, OR Member

Yup. From left column top-down first, they are the A, and then the B that apparently is actually a V.

Silly Russians and your weird letters!

Cheers,
    Drame22

4. dracozny

dracozny Oregon Member

well that doesn't translate to anything word wise. any chance you can post a photo of it? and is it a 1944r like the one in the pic?
    as far as the I in a box, it could be some unknown variation of an Izhevsk marking.

5. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

Here is the markings on my M44 with explanations.

marks.jpg

marks.jpg

6. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Marks on the stock can also e usefull go to 7.62x54r.net all the info you could need

7. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

I don't think any of these responses really get to the question the OP is asking. A photo would help, but without a photo, that's not a mark I'm familiar with. I suggest shooting a photo and asking on 7.62x54r.net as suggested by mosinguy1. You can try again here with a photo, but that site is more likely to be helpful.

8. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

Which is why I posted my pic. The OP described the markings on a standard MN carbine series. the "7 in a square" describes exactly the re-armory mark on the receiver of my 44; it is really a diagonal strike in a square. This mark often appears on the stock as well indicating a post-war re-armored stock. Yes, a photo from the OP would be more help and 7.62x54R.net is a fantastic resource starting point for anyone interested in Mosin Nagants