JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More importantly, at the end of the day it sounds like way more money than just owning two, a pistol 10/22 and a rifle 10/22.
It's *always* more expensive to build than buy... I stick to building as a way to wipe my a** all over I-1639 an the faces of all who support it. FFL'ing stripped receivers gets around our backdoor handgun registry too...

EDIT to add: and buying a factory gun limits my learning opportunities, I'm just dismantling and reassembling what someone else built rather than truly crafting something of my own. :)

Last Edited:
It's *always* more expensive to build than buy... I stick to building as a way to wipe my a** all over I-1639 an the faces of all who support it. FFL'ing stripped receivers gets around our backdoor handgun registry too...

EDIT to add: and buying a factory gun limits my learning opportunities, I'm just dismantling and reassembling what someone else built rather than truly crafting something of my own. :)
Well I can appreciate that. I haven't bought anything since 1639 went into effect, but if I wanted something else I would follow the path you take for the same reasons. I've completely assembled AR lowers, but anyone who ever played with legos should be able to do that, but I've gladly let uppers be preassembled for me because if it can ship right to my house anyway, why not.

So, here's where we are... parts in-hand or ordered in Bold.

Core components - chassis/action
  • Chassis - Ruger Charger Takedown OEM
  • Receiver - Brownells BRN22 flattop or Ruger part-out from S&P
  • Rear sight/rail: BRN26 (NoDak Spud) rail/rear sight
  • Bolt - Ruger OEM
  • Charging Handle - Ruger OEM via MidwayUSA
  • Crosspins - Tandemkross
  • Other FCG pins - Pete's Pillars stainless
  • Bolt stop - Tuffer Buffer-style from Pete's Pillars
  • FCG - 5# Ruger factory takeoff
  • Grip - FAB Defense AGF-43S folder as used on USAF GAU-5 ASDW

Toolkit
  • Tandemkross Mag Tool
  • out-of-production Real Avid 10/22 Field Pack (field maintenance guide, micro toolset and cleaning kit)
  • Caldwell rimfire Mag Charger
  • Maglula LU30B loader/unloader kit
  • Tandemkross Gunsmither Bolt Bar
  • Tandemkross Gunsmither Safety Tool
  • Tier 1 3d Prints chamber flag/mag block

Case
  • Harbor Freight 18" aluminum case
  • Nanuk case sling (double duty as gun sling?)
  • pairs of QD swivels and CLASH hooks to upgrade regular sling hardware
  • MTM ammo/small tool cases
  • Tier 1 3d Prints mag cases

6" barrel assembly
  • Barrel - Acculite 6" .920 bull, threaded no flutes
  • Takedown hardware - Acculite
  • Front sight - NoDak Spud NDS-23
  • Handguard - Ruger OEM included with chassis, hogged out as needed

10" barrel assembly
  • Barrel - Acculite 10" .920 bull, threaded no flutes
  • Handguard - Midwest MI-1022-8H 8" M-Lok

Pistol brace assembly
  • Brace adapter - Farrowtech 1913, no QD socket
  • Brace mount - Midwest MI-STAP-SF sidefold storage tube with
  • Lenght-of-pull limiters - SB Tactical LOPL
  • QD adapter - Leapers MNT-RSQD403
  • Brace - SB Tactical SBA3

16" barrel assembly
  • Barrel - Acculite 16.5" .920 bull, threaded no flutes
  • Handguard - Midwest MI-1022-13H 13" M-Lok
  • Alternate option - Ruger 90565 full TD barrel assembly, remove rear sight and add MI-1022-13H

Rifle stock assembly
  • Stock mount - Midwest MI-STAP-SF sidefold storage tube
  • QD adapter - Leapers MNT-RSQD403
  • Stock - AR telestock, exact model not yet determined

Optic
  • Bushnell TRS25
  • Arms Unlimited TRS25 QD-lever conversion

Scope
  • BSA Sweet .22 or similar (suggestions?)
  • Aero Precision QD mount

Mags, other accessories and special features
  • Mix of OEM 10-rd magazines between single, double- and triple-coupled
  • Ruger 90403 mag dustcovers
  • Alangator tri-mag couplers (one on the way)
  • Witness marks on rear sight for each barrel's zero, color coded to match markings on the rear of each front sight
  • Leapers TL-BP28S bipod (same as Ruger OEM)

Last Edited:
20220111_195036.jpg

Read through the whole thing and I can't believe not one person mentioned the Franklin Armory Binary trigger.

I didn't build 22 chargers, I built stripped takedown 10/22 receivers with Binary triggers after installing the first Binary on my 10/22.

Also might want to look at the Ruger Silent-SR since you're building takedowns.

Not playing with cans, and binaries are forbidden by our human-garbage Overlords in Olympia on this side of the river.

I'm building a Charger because that way I can legally go from pistol to rifle and back; a 10/22 is "if first finished as rifle forevermore rifle".

Latest update: Based on current "13.5" max from brace end to trigger face" rule I had to block off two positions on the tube, this is longest legal setting based on estimated trigger position. Trigger pack and front ends still to-do.
20220304_131316.jpg
Red section is part of the grip beavertail I need to Dremel off before I can tighten down the back-end screw holding the adapter-chassis-grip assembly together.

Based on this prototype setup, I'm thinking see if Midwest's planned QD STAP tube cuts enough length to allow Position 5, but stick with this "standard STAP on QD riser" for the stock to help keep the OAL in rifle mode over 26".

Test fitting the rifle stock... ironic that before you can fold the stock you have to extend it at least halfway due to the SOPMOD's "saddlebags."
20220305_192106.jpg

Still a little more grinding to do to blend and dehorn the grip beavertail, then cosmetic touchup.

Trigger pack installed. Interesting to note that if you want to fully collapse an SBA3 or SBA4 brace you need to lop off the front lip on the brace, and hog out a hole in the rear for the tube and keyway. (About where the SB logo is.)

20220325_220934.jpg
Brace and stock both "normalized" corresponding to Position 1 (full collapsed) on the STAP tube.

And the final update before it goes into On Hold while I work on the mag stash.
20220426_201339.jpg
The two blue MTM cases are for ammo (ammo case currently holding various small parts awaiting barrel assemblies and a second STAP-SF) and tools, the Harbor Freight yellow case is mags, chamber flag and Maglula. Still need 10" and 16" Acculite barrel/Midwest handguard assemblies and a scope.

Main reason for this one last (for now) update is Discount Enterprises had a half-off sale on everything Timber Creek they stocked, which made the extended mag-release, forward M-Lok QD and the Maglula loader/unloader set a palatable package-deal. Now to find an out of the way corner to set this case aside a while...

And the final update before it goes into On Hold while I work on the mag stash.
View attachment 1186251
The two blue MTM cases are for ammo (ammo case currently holding various small parts awaiting barrel assemblies and a second STAP-SF) and tools, the Harbor Freight yellow case is mags, chamber flag and Maglula. Still need 10" and 16" Acculite barrel/Midwest handguard assemblies and a scope.

Main reason for this one last (for now) update is Discount Enterprises had a half-off sale on everything Timber Creek they stocked, which made the extended mag-release, forward M-Lok QD and the Maglula loader/unloader set a palatable package-deal. Now to find an out of the way corner to set this case aside a while...
Can you use the extended mag release with your pistol grip set up?

I have a pmaca and found that the grip got too close to the extended release for it to be useful. But, never seen the foldy style grip before your build.

Can you use the extended mag release with your pistol grip set up?

I have a pmaca and found that the grip got too close to the extended release for it to be useful. But, never seen the foldy style grip before your build.
Bearing in mind this has no barrels yet, it has worked okay for me in limited testing. Admittedly, this is a scrapyard Ruger factory chassis... folding grip is an Israeli one used on the USAF GAU-5 ASDW. (Also, my usual practice is "grip and trigger strong hand, other controls support hand.")

Got an offer too good to ignore on the Midwest rifle-length handguard, so here's mocking up that configuration. The barrel once in hand and installed will stick out another 3" past this, more if the linear comp is screwed on.

20220607_192251.jpg

Haven't had a chance to fire it, but...

Final update, behold the Ruger Charger Modular Weapons System.
View attachment 1485280

Better view assembled into Rifle Mode ready to go snipe some SMERSH or SPECTRE mooks...
View attachment 1485281

Pistol mode:
20230410_171310.jpg

Charger receiver means as long as I never have both stock and short barrel on at the same time I can go pistol to rifle and back at will. (In practice, I keep a sling-mount clamped onto the rear rail at all times unless the rifle barrel's mounted.) This was originally planned to have an SBA4 brace for the 10" barrel, but that's on hold until SS-Reichsfuehrer Garland gets his brace ban shoved back up his pedo prison-pocket once and for all.

One thing I'd do differently: SOPMOD stock looks sexy but is impractical on a sidefolder, the "saddlebags" get in the way. If I were building this again I'd go regular M4 wafflestock or similar.

Last Edited:
I used a set from NoDak Spud, NDS23 fronts and NDS26 rear with rail IIRC - one of their last shipments out the door before packing up and moving to South Carolina to become "the new H&R."

@Jason Brown Do note that tis loophole has since been closed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top