JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, as I was letting my fingers do the walking at Midwest Industries looking for something else, I stumbled across their 10/22 Takedown chassis, and it gave me an idea...

INSPIRATION: Thompson/Center Contenders and AR15's built on virgin receivers or a few other conditions can go from pistol to rifle and back at will... why not the 10/22? The MI chassis takes a standard AR stock via a buffer tube, which can be set up to be quickly removed creating an no-stock "pistol/other" lower or a "braced pistol." Because the 10/22 and 22 Charger share a common receiver, FCG and barrel mounting system, and they seem to share some engineering with the Ruger PC and PC Charger, why couldn't a 22 Charger pistol exploit that takedown capability to swap between Short (~6"), Medium (~10") and Long (>16") barrel assemblies?

So here's what I've been thinking of...

"Core Group" - Receiver and FCG
  • Receiver - Brownells BRN-22 Takedown with integral rail
  • Charging Handle - Undetermined; I shoot left-handed but operate non-trigger/safety controls with my right, finding that it both promotes weapon retention via unbroken strong-hand grip and lets me get back into Ready faster
  • Bolt Assembly - Factory Ruger, the Brownells receiver doesn't play well with third-party bolts
  • Triggerpack - Ruger BX-Trigger, the Midwest chassis doesn't play well with most aftermarkets. Thinking about asking my neighborhood smith to swap in the heavier factory trigger and hammer because I don't like a 2-lb pull
  • Chassis - Midwest Industries MI-1022-TDC
  • Bolt Stop Pin - Factory Ruger
  • Receiver Crosspins - Tandemkross Enhanced
  • Grip - FAB Defense AGF-43S with beavertail chopped off
Backend Group
  • Rear Plug/Stock Mount - KNS Precision AR-1913 Adapter
  • 1913 Tube Mount/Folder - Midwest MI-STAP-SF-BT
  • AR Buffer Tube - Milspec CAR-length from spares bin
  • Rifle Stock - undecided; I like SOPMODs but they seem big and heavy for a "compact kit" build
  • Pistol Brace - SB Tactical SBA3 or SBA4
Barrel/Forend Groups
ComponentShort PistolLong PistolRifle
Barrel (remove sights if needed)??????Ruger 90565
Barrel takedown mounting (if needed)Pike Arms Takedown BundlePike Arms Takedown Bundle
ForendMidwest MI-PC-4.875Midwest MI-1022-8HMidwest MI-1022-13H
Flash Hider/Muzzle Device?????????

Sights & Optics: Not a lot determined here; I'm thinking rail-mount AR sights for the longer barrels. Problem is I don't like fighting with rezeroing every time I reinstall the barrels... I was toying with the idea of one of these for short pistol:
mounted on the receiver with a riser so it'd co-witness with the AR irons, or at least on a QD mount so it could be swiftly swapped with rear iron and optic. Long Pistol and Rifle front sights would be permanently mounted on the handguard but share a rear iron mounted on the receiver (removed in Short setup).

Magazines: Not really discussed. I was thinking the Alangator triple-mount rotary adaptor for three standard Ruger BX-10s and maybe a couple Tandemkross doubles.

Okay, guys, the floor is yours. Tell me why I need a rubber room... Is this thing looking like Title I, or an NFA violation in the making? Ruger gurus, any suggestions to fill in the blanks? This is meant more for "beginner" not a "spare no expense," so we're looking at "value for money" because the concept is two full sets as a His & Hers build project.

At the end of the day, is it any more capable than any other 10/22?
You could probably get the same function by owning both a 22 Charger and a 10/22, but part of the point is expanding the build repertoire and a "His/Hers Build Together" project with the girlfriend rather than just "here's the pile of parts, watch what I do and reassemble what I pre-fitted." Main Gain is taking a whizz in the face of Mandatory Semiauto/Handgun Backdoor Registration by building ourselves from bare frames, other than that's it's basically "climbing a mountain because it's there."

You could probably get the same function by owning both a 22 Charger and a 10/22, but part of the point is expanding the build repertoire and a "His/Hers Build Together" project with the girlfriend rather than just "here's the pile of parts, watch what I do and reassemble what I pre-fitted." Main Gain is taking a whizz in the face of Mandatory Semiauto/Handgun Backdoor Registration by building ourselves from bare frames, other than that's it's basically "climbing a mountain because it's there."
Ah, I get it now. I'm not a mountain climber, so it took a second!

93415FB0-44D3-4277-B820-813519E53449.jpeg

My NAA .22WMR Pug says, "here, hold my beer".

:D

I had both the MI takedown chassis and the Engineered Silence takedown chassis. The Engineered Silence chassis is the way to go. If you don't need to have a take down, look into Enoch Industries Odin or Deep 6 Chassis.

Bert, the entire point of this is a pistol/rifle convertible, which REQUIRES a takedown system to do quick forend swap. I'll take a look at ES, thanks for the headsup on them--Stickman suggested taking a look at the Odin too but it doesn't lend itself to "quick change" like this.

For sake of ease, just keep the pistol brace on it and run the 16" barrel. No sense in swapping to a real stock. Especially since the brace you are going with makes a nice stock.

This project might get expensive as most take down stocks don't sell the front end separately. May want to reach out to these companies first and see if you can buy extra front ends to go with the different sized barrels.

If you go with any optic, look to mount it to the barrel instead of the receiver. This might mean three optics, or one, and the other two barrel lengths can be irons.

For sake of ease, just keep the pistol brace on it and run the 16" barrel. No sense in swapping to a real stock. Especially since the brace you are going with makes a nice stock.

This project might get expensive as most take down stocks don't sell the front end separately. May want to reach out to these companies first and see if you can buy extra front ends to go with the different sized barrels.

If you go with any optic, look to mount it to the barrel instead of the receiver. This might mean three optics, or one, and the other two barrel lengths can be irons.
Midwest does sell them separately, and I had planned to mount sights to HG/barrel assembly. :) Was thinking a cantilevered rail section back over the receiver partway, but not sure it would hold zero and be sturdy enough to handle "knockaround"... this is mostly thinking an iron-sight plinker and range toy, not Serious Social Work or SHTF.

Last Edited:
So, to update after a month's consultation with industry pros...

Base Chassis: Ruger Charger OEM, $84.99 new-takeoff from S&P Outfitters
Receiver: Brownells BRN22 takedown, $158.99
Rear sight/rail: Brownells BRN26, $88.99
Triggerpack: source a factory takeoff from @Knobgoblin
Bolt stop: Tuffer Buffer, too many offerings to make sense of
Receiver crosspins: Tandemkross (TK orders are going to depend on whether TK has a sale, otherwise Primary Arms)
Mag catch pins: Tandemkross
1913 brace adapter: Copper Custom, $55
Folding grip: FAB Defense AGF-43S

Barrels are all Acculite .920 bulls, no flutes, threaded; all with Acculite takedown kits and NoDak Spud NDS23 front sights. 6" uses Ruger OEM handguard, 10" uses Midwest MI-1022-8H, 16.5" uses Midwest MI-1022-13H. Sights are $44 each direct, TD kits are $36. Barrels are $139 for 6", $143 10", and $197 16". Considering the new FAB Defense M-Lok angled foregrip and thumbrest for the longer barrels. Shout-outs to Louis at Acculite and Harlan at NDS for their help here.

Magazines: Ruger 90451 3-pack, $33 at S&P
Mag accessories: Alangator tri-mag coupler, Ruger dustcovers, Caldwell mag charger, Maglula load/unload kit

Other accessories/tools...
Tandemkross mag toolkit
Tandemkross bolt bar
Tandemkross safety tool
Real Avid 10/22 Field Pack toolkit (micro tool, cleaning kit, field ref guide; out of production)
Harbor Freight tool case to carry gun and all tools https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html

Any other recommended tools, books or refinements?

You going to try a variety of mag releases?
Not really, my plan is to try the Ruger standard first. If it's not what I'd like it to be I'll look at an upgrade later, but for the most part I'm thinking if it ain't broke don't futz with it. (TK pins get a preference for their Stay Put detents.)

Harlan at NDS suggested that for windage adjustment I use different colored paint pens to mark correct zero for each barrel assembly, then apply the same color to the rear of its corresponding front sight.

Main thing is... you're gonna laugh at this, I picked up that habit from AR's and 1911s where "split operation" lets me keep an unbroken firing grip at all times. Spear bolt catch, slide stop or AR ambi mag-catch with the birdie, work AR catch button with right thumb and 1911 mag catch with trigger finger.

Ruger looks pretty ambi other than the safety going by that pic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top