JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I asked this same question of a very accomplished BR shooter (and pretty well known too) while at the range yesterday.

His feeling is that sometimes you can make the bullet too slick. By doing so you don't get the proper burn on the powder as there is insufficient friction in the barrel. On the other hand, moly coated bullets can generate more speed for those that need it to make the trip past 1,000 yards.

Some use it, some don't.
Some will, Some won't.

It's a matter of choice and depends on how much time you want to spend cleaning up your bore.

BTW, Ted told this to me while he was making consecutive shots into the same hole at 300 yards.

The question of the hour - was Ted using Moly or traditional jacketed rounds?

Ted was using regular jacketed rounds that he makes himself. Also carefully degreases them.

The Ted I'm referring to is the Ted in this article (about half way through)

World Record Nisqually Switch-Barrel

Ted Larson held nearly every meaningful BR record at his home range and he was state champion several times

In his words "I'm pushing 80 now" but he still shoots with the eye of an eagle. Great guy to know and learn from. Just ask and he'll share.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top