JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Modifying/Upgrading a 1911, curious as to what tips and/or tricks you guys have? What is ok to do myself, and what should I have a gunsmith do? I'd like to do as much as possible myself, without risking my safety when i go back to use and test it.

If you want to have fun? Sky is the limit, have to decide what you like. If you just want a 1911 with bells and whistles its cheaper to just buy one already done. If you want to do it for fun nothing wrong with that but make sure you understand it's nothing like building an AR. Lots of stuff out there for 1911's but a LOT of it only works well if properly fitted. Sadly so many of the 1911 clones are very different here and there. Not that it can't be fun but, it can also be very costly and frustrating if you put one together and the damn thing will not work well. :oops:

Rebuilding, upgrading and modifying a 1911. Where would a person with more experience working on them start? Starting with a complete and functional firearm. Swapping parts to improve overall function.
Depends on what the base gun is partly.(does it already have a match grade barrel?)
What are you looking to get out of the gun? (better reliability, better accuracy?)
If you are looking for better reliability then better mags is where I'd start, Chip McMormick or Wilson Combat are the best I've found.
If it is accuracy then there are several ways, trigger job/install adjustable trigger, install a tighter barrel bushing, install a match grade barrel.
Slide to to frame fit is more a marketing gimmick, what matters more is barrel lockup, barrel to bushing fit, and a good trigger.

Sights is a good place to start. Then maybe grips. Thinner with accompanying grip screws/bushings. Maybe check the feed ramp for fit and finish. Past that, there's not much to do unless you're starting with junk, at which point one should abandon ship.

If you want to have fun? Sky is the limit, have to decide what you like. If you just want a 1911 with bells and whistles its cheaper to just buy one already done. If you want to do it for fun nothing wrong with that but make sure you understand it's nothing like building an AR. Lots of stuff out there for 1911's but a LOT of it only works well if properly fitted. Sadly so many of the 1911 clones are very different here and there. Not that it can't be fun but, it can also be very costly and frustrating if you put one together and the damn thing will not work well. :oops:
That's something I was aware of going in. I do know many things will need to be fitted. Really, aside from the fun aspect, wanting to gain practical knowledge that watching videos doesn't quite impart.

Depends on what the base gun is partly.(does it already have a match grade barrel?)
What are you looking to get out of the gun? (better reliability, better accuracy?)
If you are looking for better reliability then better mags is where I'd start, Chip McMormick or Wilson Combat are the best I've found.
If it is accuracy then there are several ways, trigger job/install adjustable trigger, install a tighter barrel bushing, install a match grade barrel.
Slide to to frame fit is more a marketing gimmick, what matters more is barrel lockup, barrel to bushing fit, and a good trigger.
The one I'm starting with runs great, is very reliable, and is pretty accurate. I'd like a former grip safety, a match grade barrel and a better trigger, though the one I have provided no complaint.
I've been running Wilson combat and McCormick mags, as well as mec-gar and some Korean mags. The only one I've had any issue with is an ACT mag.

Sights is a good place to start. Then maybe grips. Thinner with accompanying grip screws/bushings. Maybe check the feed ramp for fit and finish. Past that, there's not much to do unless you're starting with junk, at which point one should abandon ship.
I have polished the feed ramp previously. I have considered new sights, and have not yet consulted with a Smith about upgrading them. It has some nice hogue wrap-around rubber grips on it now.

I must confess confusion as to the issue at hand currently at this juncture. I have modified a 1911 RIA 2011 into a home defense monster with light/laser and 10rd. mag, but past that didn't see a need for further modification. Shoot the sheet out of it with your chosen loadout and revel in the glory that is JMB's masterpiece!

I would do a Main spring and hammer plunger/spring mod, Cylinder and Slide has a really nifty "Trigger Upgrade kit" that has these parts as a set and it really improves upon the 1911. EGW ( And others) makes great hammers of different designs and styles, as well as main spring housings with or with out flared mag well extensions. Sights can be changed to suit your needs! A Match barrel and Bushing can also improve things. Brially ( Spelling) makes a spherical barrel bushing that works wonders. Grips to change the look, fit, and finish, and different controls to improve access!

The one I'm starting with runs great, is very reliable, and is pretty accurate. I'd like a former grip safety, a match grade barrel and a better trigger, though the one I have provided no complaint.
I've been running Wilson combat and McCormick mags, as well as mec-gar and some Korean mags. The only one I've had any issue with is an ACT mag.
Act mags are junk my RIA a few years back came with one, wouldn't even feed ball/fmj.
Be careful if you replace the grip safety, the sear is right under it, you do not want to accidentally have the sear come out and install it wrong.(ask me how my old house got a .45 caliber hole in the ceiling) I thought I had it installed right then loaded the gun up and it got hammer follow from improper installation by my then novice hands, this caused the gun to go off without my finger in the trigger guard and I have some slight or seemingly slight hearing loss from the event. Thankfully the Lord protected me and it didn't do that beyond the one round, after that though I had looked for awhile on the web to find a detailed photo of the sear placement and it took a while to find.

That said my favorite 1911 is bone stock except for the grips and mags. It has a 3.5lb or less really hard to tell but noticeably better trigger than any other 1911 trigger I've tried. Mine is the AMT Hardballer Longslide in my profile photo and it is my favorite handgun by leaps and miles.
It is the most accurate .45 I have shot, goes exaclty where I point it if I do my part. Also loosest slide to frame fit in any of the 1911's I've owned and it runs like a sewing machine.

MVIMG_20190904_153034.jpg IMG_20190904_213156.jpg

Last Edited:
Act mags are junk my RIA a few years back came with one, wouldn't even feed ball/fmj.
Be careful if you replace the grip safety, the sear is right under it, you do not want to accidentally have the sear come out and install it wrong.(ask me how my old house got a .45 caliber hole in the ceiling) I thought I had it installed right then loaded the gun up and it got hammer follow from improper installation by my then novice hands, this caused the gun to go off without my finger in the trigger guard and I have some slight or seemingly slight hearing loss from the event. Thankfully the Lord protected me and it didn't do that beyond the one round, after that though I had looked for awhile on the web to find a detailed photo of the sear placement and it took a while to find.

That said my favorite 1911 is bone stock except for the grips and mags. It has a 3.5lb or less really hard to tell but noticeably better trigger than any other 1911 trigger I've tried. Mine is the AMT Hardballer Longslide in my profile photo and it is my favorite handgun by leaps and miles.
It is the most accurate .45 I have shot, goes exaclty where I point it if I do my part. Also loosest slide to frame fit in any of the 1911's I've owned and it runs like a sewing machine.
That sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'd like to avoid.

I must confess confusion as to the issue at hand currently at this juncture. I have modified a 1911 RIA 2011 into a home defense monster with light/laser and 10rd. mag, but past that didn't see a need for further modification. Shoot the sheet out of it with your chosen loadout and revel in the glory that is JMB's masterpiece!
No issues. Want to customize mainly to be able to properly assess and repair issues with any of mine or those belonging to those around me. Sear replacement is the main thing I'm concerned about doing wrong.

Years ago, I used to attend the Chapman Academy on a regular basis. The 1911s that made it through the classes fell into two categories. #1 were pistols that were being used as they came from Colt without having do dads added on. #2 were pistols that had been worked on by Cylinder & Slide or Wilson, and some of the other top end outfits.

The problem 1911s almost always had some generic so called gunsmith swap out some parts. Worse yet were the do it your self type who did it at home on the kitchen table.

A nice finish and a match grade barrel would be a decent. New set of grips is always a good choice for most modifications. You could replace all of the springs and such. Then perhaps change the sights.

At that point it's almost a different gun...

A nice finish and a match grade barrel would be a decent. New set of grips is always a good choice for most modifications. You could replace all of the springs and such. Then perhaps change the sights.

At that point it's almost a different gun...
I've done the grips already. Planning on doing at least the springs and barrel, can't decide if I want to change guide rod or not.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top