JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got this idea from a thread I saw over on AR15.com. I could never figure out why Ruger mated a stainless steel barrel with a painted black aluminum receiver. I never liked this combo, so I did some poking around and found the info to turn my rifle into a shiny machine!

Here's the whole thing all put together:
20131031_133340_zps4a9e18f7.jpg

The next couple photos show the receiver in close-up. I disassembled the rifle completely, then took the receiver and drenched it metal stripper that I got from the auto parts store. Just a word of caution, you don't want to get that crap on you. Anyway, after about 30 minutes the paint just sloughed right off. A little scrubbing with a brass brush here & there to get the nooks & crannies and I was good to go.

20131031_133257_zps8a074695.jpg

I then started wet sanding the receiver, first with 300 grit, then 600, then 1200. Last was a rubdown with 0000 steel wool. After the sanding regimen, I mounted my orbital buffer in a vise, spread some Mother's Aluminum polish on the bonnet and began buffing the receiver. I managed to get a pretty nice shine on it that matched my new bull barrel pretty well! I also sanded and polished the bolt, and did a little sanding on the inside of the receiver to knock down a few rough spots.

20131031_133325_zpsf708146a.jpg

All that's left to do now is take it out and sight it in! I might be able to some time next week. Here's hoping the weather cooperates!

20131031_133247_zpsa5c2c2ac.jpg

I did the same thing. Had a stainless barrel and a beater receiver so I polished the receiver to match the barrel. Took way longer to polish mine out than I ever expected but the results are worth it to me. A bunch of parts turned into a decent rifle. There's always something you can do to a 10-22 to change it.

Anymore it's easy to have a 10-22 with no Ruger parts, just depends on what you want to spend. I have from bone stock to nothing but a Ruger reciever and everybody elses parts, they're all a good time

How is the fit? If the rifle sights in low, it could be because the barrel is now a tiny bit loose in the stripped receiver, and that means it's not going to be as stable.

I wish you the best of luck, but I gotta tell you that I have a headache in my safe right now due to a barrel that's maybe 1 mil too loose, and the darn thing groups like a scattergun. The clue to the loose fit was how low I had to crank the scope adjustment, because the 10/22 secures the barrel by pulling it down with that 2-screw, V-notch thingie.

So you have a shiny SS barrel mated to a nicely polished aluminum receiver, but then went and mounted a set of black rings to the top. Back to square one! Time to polish those rings up now!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top