JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got this idea from a thread I saw over on AR15.com. I could never figure out why Ruger mated a stainless steel barrel with a painted black aluminum receiver. I never liked this combo, so I did some poking around and found the info to turn my rifle into a shiny machine!

Here's the whole thing all put together:
20131031_133340_zps4a9e18f7.jpg

The next couple photos show the receiver in close-up. I disassembled the rifle completely, then took the receiver and drenched it metal stripper that I got from the auto parts store. Just a word of caution, you don't want to get that crap on you. Anyway, after about 30 minutes the paint just sloughed right off. A little scrubbing with a brass brush here & there to get the nooks & crannies and I was good to go.

20131031_133257_zps8a074695.jpg

I then started wet sanding the receiver, first with 300 grit, then 600, then 1200. Last was a rubdown with 0000 steel wool. After the sanding regimen, I mounted my orbital buffer in a vise, spread some Mother's Aluminum polish on the bonnet and began buffing the receiver. I managed to get a pretty nice shine on it that matched my new bull barrel pretty well! I also sanded and polished the bolt, and did a little sanding on the inside of the receiver to knock down a few rough spots.

20131031_133325_zpsf708146a.jpg

All that's left to do now is take it out and sight it in! I might be able to some time next week. Here's hoping the weather cooperates!

20131031_133247_zpsa5c2c2ac.jpg

I did the same thing. Had a stainless barrel and a beater receiver so I polished the receiver to match the barrel. Took way longer to polish mine out than I ever expected but the results are worth it to me. A bunch of parts turned into a decent rifle. There's always something you can do to a 10-22 to change it.

Anymore it's easy to have a 10-22 with no Ruger parts, just depends on what you want to spend. I have from bone stock to nothing but a Ruger reciever and everybody elses parts, they're all a good time

How is the fit? If the rifle sights in low, it could be because the barrel is now a tiny bit loose in the stripped receiver, and that means it's not going to be as stable.

I wish you the best of luck, but I gotta tell you that I have a headache in my safe right now due to a barrel that's maybe 1 mil too loose, and the darn thing groups like a scattergun. The clue to the loose fit was how low I had to crank the scope adjustment, because the 10/22 secures the barrel by pulling it down with that 2-screw, V-notch thingie.

So you have a shiny SS barrel mated to a nicely polished aluminum receiver, but then went and mounted a set of black rings to the top. Back to square one! Time to polish those rings up now!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top