JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As to the brass, yes, I did run it through a FL resizing die - but I can't compress it enough to get it back to spec. Dies are designed to correct for a few thousandths, not 10-12 thousandths, which is what I'm seeing. I don't even know if it's safe to use that brass at all given how much it stretched.

Back on topic - update: Magpul didn't turn out. The PMAG AICS mags put the rounds so low in the action that the don't feed, and to get them high enough, I needed to file the feed lips open to the point that the low strength of the polymer compared to steel means they aren't holding on tight enough. Magpul is letting me return them for refund despite the mods I tried to make. Good customer service. I'll be using McRee mags instead; if anything works in a McRee chassis, they should.

The scope is another disappointment. I couldn't even group the rifle because the zero wandered. I had to rezero it three times in 120 rounds just to shoot some steel. It wouldn't stay in focus either - parallax adjustment wouldn't stay set. I know SWFA has a good rep, and hopefully they'll give me a refund, but every company makes a lemon every now and then.

Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated right now. The trigger and chassis are great, though. Pretty happy with that part. At this point I don't know if this will reach the "never sell" status of my KK300, CZ75, or 1100 Competition Synthetic, but I think once I get the defective parts replaced, the rest should turn out nicely. It is quite fun to ring steel from a long way away, even if I did have to go back to paper to rezero every other box.

I was more than a little concerned about the massive oversize of your fired cases until I reread that you had fired them in some kind of Mauser - was that a m/96 or something else - but still an original Swedish [Carl Gustaf] or German Oberndorf Mauser? These older rifles were often VERY generous in the chambering, as befits a military-grade round, but my 1898-date Carl Gustav m/96 has a chamber that would make any SAAMI-user happy.

FYI - here are the SAAMI dimensions -

Case length - 2.165" - MAX - 2.020"

Base of case - 0.4770" - NO permitted variance [NPV].

To start of shoulder - 1.7043"

To end of shoulder - 1.8525" - reference dimension - NPV.

Chamber - 2.1772"

Any more you need? I have all the SAAMI references - centrefire, rimfire and shotshell.

tac

Last Edited:
Tac - the specs are pretty readily available on the SAAMI website, so I did check them out. The cases are pretty far outside them. You are correct, the rifle the old ones came from is a 1915 manufactured m/96. I think at this point the cases are probably toast - that's a bit too much stretching for my taste. Weakens the metal fairly significantly, and I don't want to put it under too much stress after that level of cold-working. The rifle is still safe to fire, best as I can tell, but I won't be able to use the brass.

B3dlam - the chassis actually came with that grip, but I gave it to one of my friends for an AR build because I personally don't like them. I like the steeper angle on the K2+, and it has a lower beavertail than normal, so when I cut it to a flattop it left some in place to provide a smoother, round transition. In addition, it has an oblong octagonal profile that is very comfortable and similar to the profile of the grip on my Walther. Honestly I'd recommend you try one of these if you haven't already. It's a great grip for this kind of application. To each their own, but I quite like it.

This is from when I assembled everything - you can see how the grip fits up with a smoother transition as there is still some curve left at the top of the backstrap.

IMG_1158.JPG

B3dlam - the chassis actually came with that grip, but I gave it to one of my friends for an AR build because I personally don't like them. I like the steeper angle on the K2+, and it has a lower beavertail than normal, so when I cut it to a flattop it left some in place to provide a smoother, round transition. In addition, it has an oblong octagonal profile that is very comfortable and similar to the profile of the grip on my Walther. Honestly I'd recommend you try one of these if you haven't already. It's a great grip for this kind of application. To each their own, but I quite like it.

I have large hands and have stuck to the big grips for that reason but if I find one of those grips ill have to check it out.

Starting to get a little annoyed...

IMG_1253.JPG

Does this look a bit, um, unfinished? Because they didn't weld, braze, bolt, glue, or otherwise attempt any other method of attaching the sides together.

The mags for this gun are turning out to be quite an adventure. Back to the shop these ones go too. What fun!

IMG_1240.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top