JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hoping to get opinions on cash value and trade value. I'm horrible at deciding trade value. Thanks in advance for any that comment

A 1954 Winchester Model 70 chambered in .270 Win. Includes the glass which is a 70's Bushnell Banner 3-9x with perfect glass. Small surface scuffing/rubbing.
Front and rear sight are mounted. The stock has a couple noticeable scratches on the ejection side near the butt. The pad has been replaced.
Rifling is still very much there pictures are the best I could capture. Trigger breaks very clean.
No parts except the pad has been replaced! Super clean firearm in my opinion!

20210925_100644.jpg

20210925_100557.jpg

20210923_220424.jpg 20210925_100511.jpg

Cash value will vary wildly between :

Area in which one tries to sell....
Timing of the sale...
Blue book value....
Internet gun sale site value...
Store value...
Real world selling value....

I would think / guess that your rifle would sell in my area for around $750 on up to maybe $1000
All depending on who sees it...and how fast you want to sell it.

As far as trade value....
I like to trade my item , that I don't or no longer have a use for , for something that I can and or will use.
So the dollar value of my item , or the item traded for , may not matter so much to me.
For example :
I have a muzzle loading rifle for sale right now with a price of $300...
But if someone had a item from my trade interests , and the value of their item was less than $300...
I still may go for the trade...because of the usefulness of their item to me...
That has value for me at least.
Andy

Thank you I never sold a firearm this old and prices seemed to be all over the place. I understand the timing of sale and all but I seen one sell exact year and caliber w/o a scope sell for 1600 in very similar condition then others in whst seem to be overall better condition that won't sell listed at half that price!

Yeah I'm the same on trades. I'd trade the farm for the pig if I really want that pig lol and I'd be completely satisfied with the trades.

Rough guess? 1000-1200
Nice gun in a popular caliber with what looks like late 60's - early 70's optics. It still has the sight hood, which is a plus. The scope doesn't add much to the value, but it's "proper" for an older hunting rifle. The Monte Carlo stock works very well with a scope.
Is that a Winchester pad? If so, that helps, too.
Overall, this looks like a nice, clean example.
Mine's not quite that nice, wears a "better" scope and I'd not let it go for less than $1000.
Model 70 New wood right.jpg

$750 and I'm not interested in buying. IMO these rifles are not commanding the prices they once did and I don't know why. The rear sight is not correct

Rough guess? 1000-1200
Nice gun in a popular caliber with what looks like late 60's - early 70's optics. It still has the sight hood, which is a plus. The scope doesn't add much to the value, but it's "proper" for an older hunting rifle. The Monte Carlo stock works very well with a scope.
Is that a Winchester pad? If so, that helps, too.
Overall, this looks like a nice, clean example.
Mine's not quite that nice, wears a "better" scope and I'd not let it go for less than $1000.
View attachment 1039166
Thank you for all that info! Unfortunately it's not a Winchester pad, it's a custom pacmayr marked everett sports store. Yours looks really nice too!

$750 and I'm not interested in buying. IMO these rifles are not commanding the prices they once did and I don't know why. The rear sight is not correct
Yeah doin research today I actually seen my rear I'd different. I do see what you mean though. That's why I decided to ask here. Price ranges were huge

Its a great rifle in a great caliber. Biggest issues I see is its in the 2nd most produced caliber, its a standard grade, and the original butt-plate has been replaced with a recoil pad. The rear sight looks like every 1950+ M70 I've ever seen. I think $850 is as far as most would pay. The market for those rifles is drying up as the folks who appreciate them start to pass on.

IMO these rifles are not commanding the prices they once did and I don't know why.

The market for those rifles is drying up as the folks who appreciate them start to pass on.
This ^^. The pricing dynamics on some firearms trend with the rise and fall of demographics. At one time, Win. Model 12 shotguns were hot. These days, not so much. Good ones are still pricey, but appreciation over time is sluggish and they move more slowly. Same story for Model 70's, in my limited experience.

This ^^. The pricing dynamics on some firearms trend with the rise and fall of demographics. At one time, Win. Model 12 shotguns were hot. These days, not so much. Good ones are still pricey, but appreciation over time is sluggish and they move more slowly. Same story for Model 70's, in my limited experience.
I bought a pristine model 12 for $450. Everybody is going for plastic fantastic. Which is great, it makes the price drop on gems like these for me.

:s0121:

I think you could sell it all day for 750 wait a week or so and you might get 800-850. However, in the current market anything over that your going to have to find the right buyer.

You never know someone just may be attached to that caliber and year having sentimental value.

Here's a featherweight 1955 270
the guy hasn't moved it yet and it's been on for a while.

All of this is personal opinion and personally I would hold on to it if your not hurting for cash. It is a really nice rifle that should bring many more years of great shooting .

FWIW, about 8 years ago I sold a Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H Magnum. It had a Bausch & Lomb Baltur 2.5x scope in Stith mounts, but was otherwise unaltered. I had the rifle appraised at Cabela's in Lacey and set the asking price based on that. I sold it in a private sale for $1500.

I bought a pristine model 12 for $450
When my bro-in-law retired about 35 years ago, one of his elderly customers gave him a pair of Win. Model 12's. His and hers, one in 12 ga, the other in 20 ga. They were older guns but had been very rarely used. Without saying a word to me, he traded them straight across for a new, entry level Tikka whatever in .30-06. I didn't know whether to cry or curse.

When my bro-in-law retired about 35 years ago, one of his elderly customers gave him a pair of Win. Model 12's. His and hers, one in 12 ga, the other in 20 ga. They were older guns but had been very rarely used. Without saying a word to me, he traded them straight across for a new, entry level Tikka whatever in .30-06. I didn't know whether to cry or curse.
Both....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads