JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of boats sink and one of the main cause is.human error .or the pride of the captain not being able to make the decision that it's time to go to shore .or just plain stupidity.
This is the captains falt he didn't want to stop or he never should have went in the water.

In India they have fed the gigantic man eating crocodiles human corpses for millennia yet habitually choose to incredibly overload and sink large water transport so often that it only makes the news if 1000 perish in one go.. and none of them can swim. yays

That duck looks different than the one we went on in Boston. It had a roof but no windows unless windows covers folds back. It was hot and humid at that time of year which was mid-September back in 2010.

Last Edited:
t but not all). If it were me, my kids would never have gotten on the dang thing and if they had they sure as heck would have had there life jackets on.

Probably would not have helped since the boat was enclosed and there is no open deck to get people on.

(Lake of the Ozarks IIRC).

But weather can change quickly in Missouri, I've seen it myself, in just minutes going from a sunny, hot, humid summer afternoon, to one heck of a wind whipped thunderstorm.

Drowning has to be a horrible way to die...

So sad...

I thought it was Table Rock. IDK.

Yep, people aren't used to the weather in Midwest or South. It can get radical real quick

I've heard drowning is quite peaceful once you get over the initial terror and take a breath. Course, I'd rather not find out. Being a S. Calif body whomper when I was young, I did come close often.

The PROBLEM with this is the boat had a hard top on it . even if everyone had life jacket on.
They all probably wouldn't have been able to to get out .
We have all heard the airline speaches.
In the case of a water landing.
Do not inflate you life jacket inside the plane

The windows are designed to push out rather easily as well as a USCG requirement.

The only problem with thst is you have to push the windows out before it goes under water .
And if the guy didn't tell them to get out.
They all probably sat there till it was to late.
You have been around boats
And I have been around boats .a lot but the people on this thing probably haven't.
So they probably didn't realize they were in trouble till it was to late .
Then the panic started and nobody knew what to do.

Having been USCG Search and Rescue Aircrew, I can tell you reliably that it takes specific instruction by boat crew/captain or by training to be able to get out of a submerging/submerged vessel or aircraft. We ALL had to get training in self-rescue in case of our helo going down in the water. I don't think it's all that easy when untrained people have panic set in. And I highly doubt the boat crew told these people to push the windows out in the case of the boat going down. I lost a good friend and a pilot I liked in a helo accident off the coast of Mexico. It was a night rescue of a U.S. based boat, the pilot descended and a rogue winter wave knocked a blade off the rotor, the rotor destabilized and cut off the tail, sending them into the drink, water rushed in, the helo quickly rolled over, my Aviation Electronics buddy got his harness off and floated up into an air bubble, although the window was removable like on an RV, he panicked and tried to open get to the sliding door on the side, it was only partly open because they weren't actually in a hoist yet. He and the co-pilot made it out, two others didn't. Point is, if this can happen to aircrew that has escape training, how much chance do laymen have, especially if they are not told they can pop the windows out?

They were on a lake so tides and that don't really come into play even the ones in Seattle only go on lake Union .so there really not in the sound but if the wind is blowing any body of water can be dangerous .

We have several small local lakes that take boaters all the time. Primarily small boats with shallow freeboard. My friend has a 12' V hull that I won't go out in if it is choppy/windy.

It is like these mostly phony (sorry Bill) house inspectors, they constantly write stuff up they have no idea about........then the call my wife (a real engineer) and she educates them.

LOL, ha ha... It's bad out there... there really needs to be a college level or other good institutional training for home inspectors, including professional engineers and other wanna be's. You know I was on the board for the State of Oregon and fought for this. Too many fools/idiots/untrained people and licensing/certification hasn't helped. (I have met a lot of very knowledgeable people in the field tho, some of them are downright impressive, and I believe that there are many that are really trying to provide a valid service.) But you should also know that when I talked to other inspectors and took testimony and advice for the State, engineers and architects were some of the worst inspectors I met. Highly intelligent people with specific training that has nothing to do with visual clues of problems that are out of their areas of expertise. For example, Structural engineers that know nothing about plumbing and electrical, architects that know how to design a building to code, but nothing else. Old buildings don't meet code, but they will write it up as a deficiency every time. These professionals don't know what they don't know but are highly opinionated and therefore should stick to their own businesses. They are not helping except by consulting on a specific issue within their knowledge base, training, learning, and expertise. When they try to become home inspectors, they are at the other end of a spectrum that is bad for the public. Sorry David... :p:p:p;) How do you like me now? :cool::D

Sorry for the thread drift folks!

Probably would not have helped since the boat was enclosed and there is no open deck to get people on.

I thought it was Table Rock. IDK.

Yep, people aren't used to the weather in Midwest or South. It can get radical real quick

I've heard drowning is quite peaceful once you get over the initial terror and take a breath. Course, I'd rather not find out. Being a S. Calif body whomper when I was young, I did come close often.

Having been USCG Search and Rescue Aircrew, I can tell you reliably that it takes specific instruction by boat crew/captain or by training to be able to get out of a submerging/submerged vessel or aircraft. We ALL had to get training in self-rescue in case of our helo going down in the water. I don't think it's all that easy when untrained people have panic set in. And I highly doubt the boat crew told these people to push the windows out in the case of the boat going down. I lost a good friend and a pilot I liked in a helo accident off the coast of Mexico. It was a night rescue of a U.S. based boat, the pilot descended and a rogue winter wave knocked a blade off the rotor, the rotor destabilized and cut off the tail, sending them into the drink, water rushed in, the helo quickly rolled over, my Aviation Electronics buddy got his harness off and floated up into an air bubble, although the window was removable like on an RV, he panicked and tried to open get to the sliding door on the side, it was only partly open because they weren't actually in a hoist yet. He and the co-pilot made it out, two others didn't. Point is, if this can happen to aircrew that has escape training, how much chance do laymen have, especially if they are not told they can pop the windows out?

We have several small local lakes that take boaters all the time. Primarily small boats with shallow freeboard. My friend has a 12' V hull that I won't go out in if it is choppy/windy.

LOL, ha ha... It's bad out there... there really needs to be a college level or other good institutional training for home inspectors, including professional engineers and other wanna be's. You know I was on the board for the State of Oregon and fought for this. Too many fools/idiots/untrained people and licensing/certification hasn't helped. (I have met a lot of very knowledgeable people in the field tho, some of them are downright impressive, and I believe that there are many that are really trying to provide a valid service.) But you should also know that when I talked to other inspectors and took testimony and advice for the State, engineers and architects were some of the worst inspectors I met. Highly intelligent people with specific training that has nothing to do with visual clues of problems that are out of their areas of expertise. For example, Structural engineers that know nothing about plumbing and electrical, architects that know how to design a building to code, but nothing else. Old buildings don't meet code, but they will write it up as a deficiency every time. These professionals don't know what they don't know but are highly opinionated and therefore should stick to their own businesses. They are not helping except by consulting on a specific issue within their knowledge base, training, learning, and expertise. When they try to become home inspectors, they are at the other end of a spectrum that is bad for the public. Sorry David... :p:p:p;) How do you like me now? :cool::D

Sorry for the thread drift folks!
I think it's because the hat isn't adjustable.

upload_2018-7-23_17-42-50.jpeg

View attachment 480826 Here is a photo of a San Francisco duck boat, look at the amount of free board and compare it to the video of the one going down. It simply was swamped by the weather.........and had insufficient pumps to deal with it. They ignored the weather forecast and the equipment couldn't deal with it, possibly the captain allowed the boat to breech starting the flooding that put it down. These boats are a bit of a canoe, narrow for there length. Obviously the crew was at fault for not ordering lifejackets put on and abandoning the boat as she foundered. It requires skill and a cool head to exit a boat as it sinks and is already underwater.......we lost a tug in a storm off Santa Barbara in 1989 ( it was 1990, the day before the Painted Cave Fire) my crew was young and all commercial divers, all got out fine but eye opening never the less.
I wonder what size pumps it had
Now that I see that picture your right that boat that sank looked like only a foot or so of free board.
I agree with you it probably got swamped .
Then 30 people start to panic.
Maybe they all move to one side or the other .
Or to the back of the boat and that was it all the water and people cause it to go under.
Mmmmmm we will see if they can get the camera video that they recovered

Yea - like jumping overboard? Thats EXACTLY what i would have done - early on - I am comfortable in water and would rather take my chances in it than on this abortion of a boat.
I would never get on a crappy boat . I have known guys that did and they are no longer here.

I disagree with most of this unless we're talking about a light, flimsy craft which we are not.
Staying in deep water, trying to get to his normal landing proved fatal here.
It's entirely possible that if he headed for the nearest dock or nearest piece of land that he could have saved lives.

And that DUKW is designed to do such a maneuver.
Instead he drove it into its weakness instead of its strength.
Lack of training.
He is right about going to shallow water but it is usually something like crossing a bar in the ocean.they close the bars all the time along the coast.to boats.because it is more dangerous to cross better to stay out .but that's the ocean. Where you get tides and huge swells

I've seen these vessels in many places but they've never interested me. My daughter would get upset because, of course they look fun to a kid but I'm just not a fan of dual use vehicles (Outside of the KLR 650). I get these Ducks were brought to make a profit but I don't get using 1930s technology in 2018 where so much new tech off the shelf is available.

Here are some less than pleasant ferry rides. Off topic but once you are committed what can you do?

I have been out there in some bad whether the channels between some of the islands when the tide is ripping in or out and there is a wind .
It's like a river and the chop is bad you better have the power to get out of it .
The big problem with the ferry is when you get water coming on the deck or waves if it .
Pushing the cars around .then you got PROBLEMS .all to one side and then you get a LIST and that's it man your taking on water .but the ferry is a wet deck the water is supposed to just go off .it's the cars that make it unstable

We took the Victoria Clipper a few days before Christmas one year and they put boards over some of the lower deck windows. Man you want to talk about waves in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. They rightly call it the "Strait of Wanna Puka". The only reason I didn't since I took a Dramamine before the ferry left the port in Seattle. I rode the ferry numerous times with family over the years but never during the holidays so I thought "Just in case" situation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top