Mist mainline

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by JGRuby, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JGRuby

JGRuby
    Portland Oregon

Does anyone know if the mainline is going to be open for drive in this next weekend - this is the mainline just west of Mist on highway 202? Between Mist and Clatskanie?
    Information is appreciated - thanks

James Ruby

2. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman
    Vernonia
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I live in the area and I can tell you that a lot of areas are closed right now. I know there's some logging going on and it's been closed where it pops out on Keasey Rd in Vernonia. But with the rain we've been getting and will be getting I would imagine it'll be open. I should be heading to Sporty's in Clatskanie this week and I'll swing in and check for sure.

3. JGRuby

JGRuby
    Portland Oregon

Nwwoodsman - thank you for the reply - I am hoping that we can hunt back in there.

James Ruby

4. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman
    Vernonia

So I know this is a heck of a time to get back to you, but when I headed out there tonight the gate was wide open. Fire precautions are in effect so make sure you got your shovel and a gallon of water. My son and me will be out there dressed like pumpkins

5. JGRuby

JGRuby
    Portland Oregon

Thanks for the info - I really appreciate it. I found the mainline was open and we hunted it primarily - you have to get in from main entrance off 202 - all exit /entrance points were closed. I know we tried them all I think. It is my understanding that the mainline is only open during the weekends. Saw a couple of nice bull elk but the only deer we saw was in the camp Wilkerson camp ground.

James Ruby

6. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman
    Vernonia

You can get there from Keasey on the Columbia River mainline. Take th CRML to Deep Creek. Found a few chanterelles in the area, a few does, but no bucks. Not a lot of people which was really nice. Think I'll be up there again this coming weekend

7. JGRuby

JGRuby
    Portland Oregon

Nwwoodsman - good luck - I will be back out ther eon 10/15-10/16 - I am oncall thsi weekend.

James Ruby