JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These changes have nothing to do with supported software. ...Do they? It seems like unnecessary engineered confusion. What was (is) wrong the was is was done and still is done on most other forums?

Why do we have "alerts" on our page with watched thread BS to dig through instead of just for "Like" and PM or whatever we call them now. Didn't we get email notification on all of it already? .....

Needed upgrades are one thing, renamed and relocated everything is totally different. Is there no option for developers to put words of choice in the fields... (Posts instead of Messages) for example.

Last Edited:
I agree for the most part, too busy. I'm telling myself though, I'll get used to it. I really dislike looking down the column of "Threads" and not being able to easily see what has been viewed and what's not been viewed. BOLD=un-viewed. Now it's a little pale blue dot.

Too many large boxes with question marks, small boxes with question marks too, indicating YOU have posted on the thread...Rather than the distinctive bright green arrow we had before to indicate we'd posted on the thread. I guess if everyone had an avatar associated with their handle there'd be no boxes with question marks?

I'll keep working it, and telling myself I just need to get used to it.

Mike

I agree for the most part, too busy. I'm telling myself though, I'll get used to it. I really dislike looking down the column of "Threads" and not being able to easily see what has been viewed and what's not been viewed. BOLD=un-viewed. Now it's a little pale blue dot.

Too many large boxes with question marks, small boxes with question marks too, indicating YOU have posted on the thread...Rather than the distinctive bright green arrow we had before to indicate we'd posted on the thread. I guess if everyone had an avatar associated with their handle there'd be no boxes with question marks?

Mike
Change your avatar and the little indicators wont be question marks it will be what your avatar is..

These changes have nothing to do with supported software. ...Do they? It seems like unnecessary engineered confusion. What was (is) wrong the was is was done and still is done on most other forums?

Why do we have "alerts" on our page with watched thread BS to dig through instead of just for "Like" and PM or whatever we call them now. Didn't we get email notification on all of it already? .....

Needed upgrades are one thing, renamed and relocated everything is totally different. Is there no option for developers to put words of choice in the fields... (Posts instead of Messages) for example.

We didn't change the wording of any of this on our own, it's part of the new software package. This new software is made by another company, who changed the wording to protect from a lawsuit from vBulletin (who already sued them once).

I, for one, love the alert feature. It allows me to watch threads and know as soon as someone responds, without having to constantly check the thread or my email. No way I'd be able to keep up with all my watched threads without that feature.

Mike

Hmm, on my screen unread threads are bold, and those I haven't read aren't. Which browser are you using?

The large boxes with question marks are from members who haven't logged in and uploaded an avatar. We're two days into this, so I'm sure those will change.

Give it a little time. I'll ask for feedback in a month or so and hopefully change what really needs changing :)

Hmm, on my screen unread threads are bold, and those I haven't read aren't. Which browser are you using?

The large boxes with question marks are from members who haven't logged in and uploaded an avatar. We're two days into this, so I'm sure those will change.

Give it a little time. I'll ask for feedback in a month or so and hopefully change what really needs changing :)

I'm on "Google Chrome" I had to use Ad Block and Ghostery for ifish so that's what I browse with now, and really like it compare to IE. Also, I've never had an avatar, guess I could get one if I want to spend the time figuring it out.

I was used to getting on NWF and doing my perusing and getting on with my day. Some days it took 20 minutes, and other days 2 hours due to interesting content. Now it's like learning a completely new activity for my morning ritual! So many nooks and crannys to get lost in. So many things I, personally, don't need. I'm not leaving though, that's for sure.

Mike

Thank you. I'm not alone. Changes for the sake of 'updating' and busy work with no huge improvements is silly IMO. And it creates a lot of wasted time for a lot of people involved, trying to figure things out, work out bugs, learn a new system, etc.

Two questions:
How do I send someone a "Private Message," step-by-step??

Two ways to do this:
1a. Hover your mouse over your username at the top right of the page. A drop down menu should appear.
1b. Click Conversations.
1c. Click Start a New Converstion.
1d. Enter the username of the person you want to PM and then your message, then click Start a Conversation beneath the message to send it.

2a. If you are in a thread and looking at a post by the person you want to PM, then click on their username to the left of their post.
2b. In the pop up box, click on Start a Conversation.
2c. Enter a conversation title and message, then click the Start a Conversation button at the bottom to send it.

For opening the Slick Guns site, I'm not sure where you are looking, but if you click once on their logo/link at the right side of the page in the Community Supporters column, then the page should open in a new tab.

Thank you. I'm not alone. Changes for the sake of 'updating' and busy work with no huge improvements is silly IMO. And it creates a lot of wasted time for a lot of people involved, trying to figure things out, work out bugs, learn a new system, etc.
Changes for the sake of having software support and being able to fully use the site is why. It wasn't done to have "busy work" it was done so that we had a better fully functioning site. Do you still use dos, windows 95 or have you updated?

Take a Deep breath and pretend this is the very first time you have been to NWFA and this is how the site works. Don't confuse yourself with the idea that some how you have to translate what you see here back into what was in some past life.

I'm involved in 4-5 different hobbies and while a couple of them have sites that use Vbulletin others use software nothing like this one or Vbulletin and yet I have learned how to operate there as well as here just fine.

Embrace the diversity.

Changes for the sake of having software support and being able to fully use the site is why. It wasn't done to have "busy work" it was done so that we had a better fully functioning site. Do you still use dos, windows 95 or have you updated?

I appreciate the effort.

But somehow it's two steps forward, 1 step back, and 1 step sideways. I knew the other site, and it wasn't like I was sitting around thinking, "Gosh, if only the PMs were called Conversations, and everything was mungled around differently... and things normally over here are now over there...

And, the 'improvements' between 1 generation to the next are often marginal or even steps backwards and no leaps forward. They are to sell a product.

Computers, cars, guns, and technology would be much better if people would perfect product ABC and then keep it until it REALLY needs improvement, versus changing it to ABC.1 and ABC.2 and ABC.3 every season to work out bugs... and then as soon as the bugs are all worked out in ABC.52, suddenly ABC is scrapped and DEF.1 is introduced, totally different and filled with a whole new set of bugs.

It happens in the car industry, with each model lasting about 4 years, just long enough to work out he kinks, and then a whole new model is introduced. Software is another one.

The old program worked, offered everything needed, and didn't have the glitches that this one seems to have. 'nuff said.

If you click on the check box to the left of a conversation in your inbox, and then choose "Leave conversation" that will remove it from your inbox.

So, are you just leaving the conversation, or does this delete the messages... what does "leave conversation" mean? Was there something wrong with "delete message" which is used by nearly every other forum/product and commonly understood... ?

Really not trying to be difficult... but here we are.

So, are you just leaving the conversation, or does this delete the messages... what does "leave conversation" mean?

It's weird, but it looks like it removed the message from your inbox, but if you choose the option when you leave it of receiving future messages on the conversations, then it will return to your inbox if that happens. I think if you choose the other option it will actually be deleted, but I don't know why I'd choose to reject a message from an old conversation.

My inbox is 175% full and I can't figure out home to delete any ;(

If you click on the check box to the left of a conversation in your inbox, and then choose "Leave conversation" that will remove it from your inbox.

Yep, this is how you do it.

I appreciate the effort.

But somehow it's two steps forward, 1 step back, and 1 step sideways. I knew the other site, and it wasn't like I was sitting around thinking, "Gosh, if only the PMs were called Conversations, and everything was mungled around differently... and things normally over here are now over there...

And, the 'improvements' between 1 generation to the next are often marginal or even steps backwards and no leaps forward. They are to sell a product.

Computers, cars, guns, and technology would be much better if people would perfect product ABC and then keep it until it REALLY needs improvement, versus changing it to ABC.1 and ABC.2 and ABC.3 every season to work out bugs... and then as soon as the bugs are all worked out in ABC.52, suddenly ABC is scrapped and DEF.1 is introduced, totally different and filled with a whole new set of bugs.

It happens in the car industry, with each model lasting about 4 years, just long enough to work out he kinks, and then a whole new model is introduced. Software is another one.

The old program worked, offered everything needed, and didn't have the glitches that this one seems to have. 'nuff said.

I replied to you in the other section here: Three weeks later, what do you think of the new design?

Can you tell how well a car runs and drives by looking at the paint job? :)

So, are you just leaving the conversation, or does this delete the messages... what does "leave conversation" mean? Was there something wrong with "delete message" which is used by nearly every other forum/product and commonly understood... ?

Really not trying to be difficult... but here we are.

It's weird, but it looks like it removed the message from your inbox, but if you choose the option when you leave it of receiving future messages on the conversations, then it will return to your inbox if that happens. I think if you choose the other option it will actually be deleted, but I don't know why I'd choose to reject a message from an old conversation.

I just updated the Leaving / Removing Conversations section here, please read it for clarification: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/how-do-i-use-conversations.165018/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top