JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With that being said, I actually talked to a former FBI agent who was a firearm trainer for one of my legal courses and he told me that the only real time the government will actually prosecute you is if you commit another serious crime (that they actually will imprison or punish you for) and then they will stack on the marijuana charges in addition to whatever charges you have or may even use it in a plea situation. ...

This seems as a good a place as any to resurrect this thread. I've been watching the US DOJ website for prosecutions of rioters, but there are a surprisingly large number of entries about prohibited people and guns -- maybe a third it feels like. Anyway, here's one but as you note, it was in the context of something bigger -- firing a warning shot:

In a plea agreement, Booker admitted that, on March 9, 2019, he shot a warning shot after an individual came to his house and attempted to buy a television with a counterfeit $100 bill. When that individual refused to leave Booker's property, Booker fired a shot into the ground. Officers also recovered a second firearm from a closet in Booker's residence. Booker admitted that he has been a marijuana user his whole life.

Last Edited:
This seems as a good a place as any to resurrect this thread. I've been watching the US DOJ website for prosecutions of rioters, but there are a surprisingly large number of entries about prohibited people and guns -- maybe a third it feels like. Anyway, here's one but as you note, it was in the context of something bigger -- firing a warning shot:

I remember the conversation about marijuana I had with the Army recruiter when I was signing up.

Him..." Have you ever used marijuana?"

Me..." What am I supposed to answer?"

Him..."You are supposed to answer "No" . "

Me..."Is that what I am going to answer?"

Him..."Yes."

Me..."No, I have never used marijuana"

Next question. "Are you a homosexual."

Glad to know the drug propaganda is still working.....I dont consume anything...but i would 1000 times over rather have pot heads with guns vs all these people with (legal) opioid addictions having guns.....Not to mention antidepressants and antipsychotics.....How about some questions on that form for those folks?

1) " If you live in a state with legal recreational cannabis and desire to own and carry firearms, it makes little sense to obtain a medical permit."
True dat. The medical permit will bring up a hit on a searchable database, whereas just doing it and saying nothing does not*. Analogous situation to the folks who lost their 2A rights if they had a fiduciary for their federal benefits.

*Disclaimer - This is an observation, not an exhortation to lie to the Federal Pigs.
(If the Federal secret police were equivalent to the Waffen SS, ATF would be Dirlewanger.)

2) "No using firearms while using THC. Or alcohol for that matter. Wouldnt be prudent."
My observations over the course of many years are that there aren't many drugs as destructive and debilitating as alcohol.
I have never seen anybody get violent behind Cannabis alone, plenty of nasty belligerent drunks, tweakers, red freaks (barbiturate enthusiasts. Although they usually can't stand up to fight.), and users of PCP. I also remember a number of people who got their Darwin Awards while engaging in DUI.
This is NOT to say that guns are to be handled when loaded on anything.

Last Edited:
Somewhere up thread it was mentioned that if the Dems take control, pot will be legalized at the Federal level. I would agree that that is their marketing but I'm skeptical -- still waiting on reciprocity and hearing protection act from back when the GOP had everything.

The reason I'm skeptical is that one of the strongest anti-2A tools dems have, is keeping it illegal at the Federal level while decriminalizing at the state level. This puts a lot of people in a quandary -- they can smoke pot but not own guns.

Anyway, I would expect Dems to cynically leave the Federal prohibition in place if they win everything. In some ways, I feel it is more likely to be repealed under a GOP sweep if enough of them are of the libertarian bent.

Somewhere up thread it was mentioned that if the Dems take control, pot will be legalized at the Federal level. I would agree that that is their marketing but I'm skeptical -- still waiting on reciprocity and hearing protection act from back when the GOP had everything.

The reason I'm skeptical is that one of the strongest anti-2A tools dems have, is keeping it illegal at the Federal level while decriminalizing at the state level. This puts a lot of people in a quandary -- they can smoke pot but not own guns.

Anyway, I would expect Dems to cynically leave the Federal prohibition in place if they win everything. In some ways, I feel it is more likely to be repealed under a GOP sweep if enough of them are of the libertarian bent.

Hard agree. It's a plank in Basement Joe's platform to keep it illegal at the fed level. Talk about Reefer Madness :rolleyes:

The common thought that marijuana use leads to passivity has been exposed in studies as being a myth. Actually the opposite is true. The following is an excerpt from a very long term study with many subjects:

However, 20% of the boys who started using pot by age 18 continued to use it through middle age (32-48 years). One fifth of those who were pot smokers (22%) reported violent behavior that began after beginning to use cannabis, whereas only 0.3% reported violence before using weed. Continued use of cannabis over the lifetime of the study was the strongest predictor of violent convictions, even when the other factors that contribute to violent behavior were considered in the statistical analysis.
In conclusion, the results show that continued cannabis use is associated with a 7-fold greater odds for subsequent commission of violent crimes. The level of risk is equivalent to the increased risk of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes over a similar duration (40 years).
The authors suggest that impairments in neurological circuits controlling behavior may underlie impulsive, violent behavior, as a result of cannabis altering the normal neural functioning in the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex.

This study was published in Psychology Today in 2016 and lasted over decades. There are other studies as well. Sure, there are plenty of the Cheech and Chong types...initially. I wish society would see the drug for what it really is. As an LEO I've seen many lives destroyed by this "harmless" herb.

its a stupid question IMO. it doesnt bother me if someone wants to own firearms and use mj. just like guns and alcohol, you shouldnt be handling a firearm while using either.

8202FB2F-DA5D-46F5-8B9B-3E742A7B7F77.jpeg

The common thought that marijuana use leads to passivity has been exposed in studies as being a myth. Actually the opposite is true. The following is an excerpt from a very long term study with many subjects:

However, 20% of the boys who started using pot by age 18 continued to use it through middle age (32-48 years). One fifth of those who were pot smokers (22%) reported violent behavior that began after beginning to use cannabis, whereas only 0.3% reported violence before using weed. Continued use of cannabis over the lifetime of the study was the strongest predictor of violent convictions, even when the other factors that contribute to violent behavior were considered in the statistical analysis.
In conclusion, the results show that continued cannabis use is associated with a 7-fold greater odds for subsequent commission of violent crimes. The level of risk is equivalent to the increased risk of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes over a similar duration (40 years).
The authors suggest that impairments in neurological circuits controlling behavior may underlie impulsive, violent behavior, as a result of cannabis altering the normal neural functioning in the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex.

This study was published in Psychology Today in 2016 and lasted over decades. There are other studies as well. Sure, there are plenty of the Cheech and Chong types...initially. I wish society would see the drug for what it really is. As an LEO I've seen many lives destroyed by this "harmless" herb.
You've seen lives destroyed by that drug? Or because YOU were just following orders and arrested people for that drug and thus ruined their life? Not to mention that hemp was just a cotton competitor and oh how great it had a mind altering substance so the government could ban it.

Pot isn't even as bad as alcohol man. And if Pot is on the same list with cocain and meth, alcohol should be too. Along with smartphones. That study, how many people were in it? 100...1000... 100 000? or just 10?

I had a customer about a month ago fill out the 4473 for a Pistol transfer and I ask questions of customers to get and Idea who I'm working with and if they should own a firearm
We got to talking and I mentioned that I had read some articals about CBD oil and dogs with Aliergies My Golden Retriever has them and all were positive and he proudly says well I smoke pot to help with pain. So we finished up and I told him i'll call you when I get BGC back from Sheriff , I paid ship his gun back and sent a full refund with a letter saying we are unable to process this transaction you will need to contact vendor you bought gun from.
But in the mean time I did a litte research and local LE don't care that he LIED on the federal form and the ATF don't care although they did say I did the right thing of course I did
Also not a lawyer.

Section 11 letter
E. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant,
Stimulant,
Narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law
Regardless of whether it has been
Legalized or decriminalized

For medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

Also not a lawyer.
I am not a lawyer either. My parents were married to each other at the time of my birth. What was the question? I object!

Story time.
The last fatal traffic collision that I investigated personally (first on the scene) the driver lost control, when over the center median, and collided with two other vehicles injuring their innocent occupants. In the offenders car, the front passenger died on impact, the rear passenger had to be cut out. The driver was messed up with internal injuries but walking around when I arrived. He said they had smoked a few bowls at his house before they left. The dead guy in the front seat died still clutching his baggie of pot.

One of my co-workers had tried to mentor the kid who died at a younger age, believe he had lost his father. As he aged he had wandered into this pot smoking crowd.

Pot isn't even as bad as alcohol man. And if Pot is on the same list with cocain and meth, alcohol should be too. Along with smartphones. That study, how many people were in it? 100...1000... 100 000? or just 10?
Play nice. You don't know me or my peers, one of which tried to help a kid that was not a relative try to navigate through tough adolescence. Pointing to other things that are bad is an extremely poor justification for something. The "all natural' thing is absurd as well...so is hemlock but I don't see too many sparking up a blunt filled with this up in PDX.

I don't expect anyone to have their mind changed by some anonymous dude on the internet. But anyone who blindly follow orders (to paraphrase you) of the dope smoking crowd and not engage some critical thinking skills is not doing themselves a favor. I've met very few long term pot smokers (not implying you) that have any ability to critically think...that is why I met them. :cool:

Story time.
The last fatal traffic collision that I investigated personally (first on the scene) the driver lost control, when over the center median, and collided with two other vehicles injuring their innocent occupants. In the offenders car, the front passenger died on impact, the rear passenger had to be cut out. The driver was messed up with internal injuries but walking around when I arrived. He said they had smoked a few bowls at his house before they left. The dead guy in the front seat died still clutching his baggie of pot.

One of my co-workers had tried to mentor the kid who died at a younger age, believe he had lost his father. As he aged he had wandered into this pot smoking crowd.

Play nice. You don't know me or my peers, one of which tried to help a kid that was not a relative try to navigate through tough adolescence. Pointing to other things that are bad is an extremely poor justification for something. The "all natural' thing is absurd as well...so is hemlock but I don't see too many sparking up a blunt filled with this up in PDX.

I don't expect anyone to have their mind changed by some anonymous dude on the internet. But anyone who blindly follow orders (to paraphrase you) of the dope smoking crowd and not engage some critical thinking skills is not doing themselves a favor. I've met very few long term pot smokers (not implying you) that have any ability to critically think...that is why I met them. :cool:
You are assuming the had the ability to critically think before they started smoking MJ. Morons abound even pot smoking morons.

Valid point. Chicken or the egg?
I used to smoke like a stack when I was younger. I treated it like alcohol. Never behind the wheel and if it affected my career or personal life i'd lay off. I'm a pretty darned succesful person professionally and on the home front if I do say so despite my some would say abrasive personality and my penchence for danger . I dont smoke now by choice. That being said there are many out there who also treat MJ like alcohol and have no qualms about drinking and driving or letting just about anything destroy their lives.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top