JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@stascom started a thread about a proposed 2 year shooting closure, by BLM, in the Anderson Butte area. He provided a link to an organization who is upping that idea to shut down the whole area PERMANENTLY! @thereddog came along and offered to help counter offer a different proposal. We are diligently working on putting that together now.

Trash No Land is sending a boat load of fliers and shooting brochures to thereddog, who will be our shooter liaison to the BLM and community. He needs help distributing them to gun and outdoor stores, the Sheriff's office, ODF, BLM office and more. He'll also need some help with site visits to evaluate the current situation and formulate some recommendations for BLM's consideration.

We've been able to share our web page to a couple outfits in the area but need help spreading it as much as possible. So share it on Facebook to any local groups you may be in. The web page about our effort is here: Southern Oregon Shooting Info

Anyone in the Medford area that can help him, please do so. See the whole thread in the General Discussions: Southern Oregon BLM closure of land to shooting.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, When I get the printed photopamphlets, I may need help getting them out to places here in the valley. If there were a couple of folks in the area that could help me do that, I can get the pamphlets to them and I will get a bunch out as well.

Just brainstorming, but I am thinking:
Sportsman's warehouse
Army Navy Store
Blackbird
Good Guys Guns
The pawn shops
Les Schwab
Big R Store
Bi Mart (s)
The Medford Sports Park Range
The indoor range by the airport
If you folks can help me with ideas of other places that would have an audience that is sympathetic to our cause, that'd be great.

Thanks Thereddog

Looking for support for a cleanup at Anderson Butte, Medford, on June 15th. We're teaming up with Southern Oregon 4Wheelers to do a multi-group cleanup. We have the location, the dumpster, disposal service, trash bags, tire recycling and lunch food so far. Free raffle prizes for volunteers. Camp out night before. Group shoot after the event.

Who's up for a good time in Medford? Official announcement and details coming soon!

Bill

Here's the details of the event being organized for June 15th... (I'll be announcing the event (officially) by Monday 5-26-19).

Google Maps to Meeting Place: Google Maps
GPS: 42°13'02.4"N 122°54'26.8"W

Organized by: Trash No Land and Southern Oregon Off-Roaders club
Sponsored by: Les Schwab Tire Center, Medford OR; Star Body Works, Medford OR, Sportsman's Warehouse, Medford, (and more to come real soon!)

Details:
Meet at 8 AM at the location noted above. Sign-in to the volunteer list, enjoy a morning coffee, donuts and good conversation with people you'll be glad to meet. 9 AM safety briefing and a discussion about current trail/recreation activities and fire prevention measures.

Join Trash No Land and Southern Oregon Off-Roaders to show your appreciation for quality recreation in the Anderson Butte area! We will be cleaning up as much of this recreation area as possible, including several dispersed shooting locations.

Included: A Free BBQ lunch and Free Raffle prizes for volunteers!

Bring; A potluck salad or side dish to contribute toward the lunch, outdoor clothing, boots, gloves, rakes, magnet & manual pickers and a Stewards heart! We need a few pickup trucks to help haul trash to the dumpster located at the meeting site.

After the event, enjoy an afternoon of recreation as you wish! Some will want to hit the trails and some will enjoy a group target shoot! Bring your toys and fire prevention gear!

All are welcome! We recommend children be of age 12 or older and be under adult supervision as there may be hazardous materials and sharp objects.

Firearm Policy: Handling or use of a firearm during event hours is not allowed at our events and is not an official part of our events. You may recreate as you wish after the event concludes.

Questions? Email Bill Cogley, Trash No Land, President, at [email protected]

Stewardship Keeps It Open!

Is there a good place to camp around there? If I go, I'd have to camp out given the 4-hour drive.
There should be. I'm going to camp on Friday night. Might be at a campground site though. I've heard of some pretty wild goings on at night on the Anderson Butte Road, so, I'm not so sure I want to do any dispersed camping.

On the other hand, if you and @Rem700..300 , and/or anyone else, wants to camp near the meeting site, I'd be up for that! Heck, you're talkin to a guy who camped in the middle of the Beaver Dam Rock Pit on a Friday night! Ain't scared of nuttin! :D Security comes in numbers!

I drove up there today. Actually the trash is not as bad as I have seen in the past. There isn't any campgrounds close to the area. There are some pretty wide spots and log landing sites on Anderson Butte Road though. Maybe the sponsors could ask the Sheriffs office for an extra patrol or 2 the night before.

I drove up there today. Actually the trash is not as bad as I have seen in the past. There isn't any campgrounds close to the area. There are some pretty wide spots and log landing sites on Anderson Butte Road though. Maybe the sponsors could ask the Sheriffs office for an extra patrol or 2 the night before.
Good idea, SO! I just sent an email to Sheriff Sickler, asking if they could have a rep at the morning meeting. As I chat with him next week, I'll ask about a good place to camp near the meeting place. I'm kind of thinking simply camp right at that spot. It is, however, a popular junction in the main road and may not be such a good idea.

I got some recent pics of some dumping off the edge of Anderson Butte Rd and I think he said it was closer to the residential area (which would make sense because those who dump, do it as soon as they hit the forest). It's too bad, however, that shooters have to sign our name to the washer & dryer!

60382416_2428245203893406_1977233626877657088_n.jpg

60556104_2428245167226743_798340197333860352_n.jpg

60482884_2428245410560052_9174021307845574656_n.jpg

Last Edited:
There is a gravel pit several miles up the road from the meeting site. It has a large open, relative flat area and has been used for shooting. It has a narrow entrance/exit road and basically has only one way in or out.

There is a gravel pit several miles up the road from the meeting site. It has a large open, relative flat area and has been used for shooting. It has a narrow entrance/exit road and basically has only one way in or out.
Great. I'll check it out on Friday the 14th. I need to learn as much as I can, about the area, before I go, so, I plan on getting there early enough on Friday to scout the nearby areas before setting up camp.

Three years later, and they're at it again!

The BLM is proposing to close recreational target shooting for 2 years in the Anderson Butte area near Medford, Oregon. They are proposing to close a 50 acre area that has 11 shooting sites, (although I would NOT call them shooting sites because of the dangers they present if shooting there!).

BLM has provided an opportunity to comment on the proposal, which I did, and here is my position:

Bill Cogley
President/CEO Trash No Land
Non-Profit 501(c)3 Organization
Promoting responsible target shooting on public lands.

I am in agreement with the 2 year closure in the proposed area of the Anderson Butte, as I have seen those locations and know of the dangers involved. I am surprised at the irresponsibility of some people, although they represent a minority of the target shooting community. However, I argue for a little give-and-take.

If you are to take away recreational target shooting in this area, I urge you to provide a place where target shooting could be done safely and respectfully. Seek to find a dispersed place, or two, where public safety can be assured (no rounds leave the range), the target shooting rules can be easily adhered to and a place where there would be little to no conflicts with other recreational activity. Perhaps there is a location outside of the 50 acre closure area that could satisfy the public safety concerns yet be attractive to shooters.

I urge you to see how we have assisted the Oregon Dept of Forestry resolve these same concerns by improving dispersed target shooting locations...

Improving Shooting Sites on Public Lands: https://www.trashnoland.org/improving-shooting-sites-on.../

Agencies and Organizations Team To Solve Target Shooting Concerns: https://www.trashnoland.org/agencies-and-organizations.../

Recreational target shooting has a long history on public lands and is a supported use that integrates well with the other activities. Improved dispersed shooting locations offer solutions, features and benefits over the current situation.

The improvements propose to develop a strategy, partner and collaborate with forest agencies, and involve the target shooting community in ownership and stewardship. The end result is to:

Resolve the safety, sanitation, and environmental issues.
Reduce the fire potential associated with target shooting.
Develop public ownership and involvement in the development and implementation of the strategy.
Maintain safe and sustainable opportunities for recreational target shooting on our public lands.

Thank you for your opportunity to weigh in on this issue.

Bill Cogley
Trash No Land
https://www.trashnoland.org/

The Anderson Butte Safety Project information can be seen and commented on here: (submit your comments by 4:30 p.m. on or before January 3rd, 2022).
https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/123432/510

They're closing it! For 2 years! We tried to save it, but there was too many who didn't care and ruined it for the rest of us. So now we loose it (for a while). Will we get it back? Will BLM do anything to provide a safe place to shoot? We'll see!

Here is another reminder of why we need to practice responsible target practice on public lands every time we go out...

11 Sites Closed.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads