JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of getting a mectech CCU in 460 Rowland but there's a couple things I'm wondering about.
First can it be fired without a buffer tube in place, and second does cutting down the barrel effect how it functions? I'm wanting to cut it down to 10 or 12 inches and use it as a pistol still. Also can you still fire 45acp and 45 super through it I've seen conflicting reports on this? And lastly would it be legal to put a brace on it with the shortened barrel.

Amazing design. The mech tech. Even works (KIND OF) with missing parts when they fall apart. That was 9mm. Not impressed. Darn near gave mine away so it wouldn't frustrate any longer. Of course then there is their customer service.

Last Edited:
Amazing design. The mech tech. Even works (KIND OF) with missing parts when they fall apart. That was 9mm. Not impressed. Darn near gave mine away so it wouldn't frustrate any longer. Of course then there is their customer service.
I'm not sure I follow, are you saying they're good or that I should stay away?

I have two - one in 9mm (Glock), one in .45acp (1911). I know some folks don't care for them, but I've had mine over a year without a single hiccup or problem. Other than being a little on the heavy side, I really like mine and have no plans to move them on. That said, I've never had to deal with an issue and customer service, so I can't speak to that. I did have to get a little ramp piece for my 1911 since I was attaching a Para lower, and they were easy to deal with in that exchange.

One of my IDPA buddies bought one recently. (IDPA has a new Pistol Cartridge Carbine division). Not sure whether his is .45 or 9mm but I've heard he really likes it. Other folks at the last shoot were asking about it too.

Yup, they are a bit on the heavy side. IIRC there is no recoil buffer per se... the have what looks like a screen door spring so that when their bolt recoils like a sled, the spring pulls it back again. Sounds kind of hinky, and maybe it is, but remember that the biggest problem with AR9 and kits is that the bolt tends to push the buffer too quickly and the timing can be off and hard to tune. These folks seem to have that down, although I bet the spring needs to be replaced from time to time.

As far as modifications go, you really should ask their engineer... I been told he is easy to talk to. Reports I have heard about customer service vary from immediate replacement to they don't think they can do anything about the problem. Your mileage may vary!

Nope, Para 14.45 LTD - double stack. The Para lowers require an adapter part to work with the Mech Tech due to the feed ramp angle.

:confused::confused:Any 1911 style double stack is considered a 2011 boss (the 2 standing for double stack) ... doesn't have to be an STI. Therein my confusion re what you wrote. :)

Since I owned a P14 I am familiar with the ramp diff. It's actually that the fully supported Para barrel/ramp has a lug at the bottom, requiring a matching cutout in the lower. Unlike standard Colt barrel with no ramp. So when you go MechTech ya gotta fill that hole. Yes?? :D

Para barrel:
941450.jpg

Standard barrel (no feed ramp)
311662.jpg

I think the story on mectech was it was a cool invention and the owner was great with customers. Then sold the rights to make it to a company that is less good with customers, but the original designer is still involved a bit. But when I had mine they sent out the wrong ramp. They replaced it for free and threw in a couple of different sizes to try to make sure I got one that would work. That was nice.

The buffer tube houses the whole bolt reciprocating assembly which is quite large. Even if you were going to take out the springs and make it single shot, you would still need to buffer tube to cycle the next round.
(think like an AR pistol, it isnt going to function without the buffer tube)

Shortest you are going to get one would be like this

images.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a mectech CCU in 460 Rowland but there's a couple things I'm wondering about.
First can it be fired without a buffer tube in place, and second does cutting down the barrel effect how it functions? I'm wanting to cut it down to 10 or 12 inches and use it as a pistol still. Also can you still fire 45acp and 45 super through it I've seen conflicting reports on this? And lastly would it be legal to put a brace on it with the shortened barrel.

They are a great, and I do mean great little tool. As mentioned they seem heavy now days since there is a lot of steel in them. I had one of the very early ones. Then bought another many years later. As shown there is no buffer tube. As with ALL mass manufactured anything a bad one will get out now and then. Other than the weight they are VERY nice.

Yup. What seems to be a buffer tube is merely an end cap. The bolt and spring are contained in the main body... That is why you can have one with a folding spring stock by purchasing your CCU with their adapter on the end.

I suppose one could shorten the barrel as long as you don't go past the barrel support but I might've read something about the barrel moving during recoil... not sure, too unfocused today to research.

:confused::confused:Any 1911 style double stack is considered a 2011 boss (the 2 standing for double stack) ... doesn't have to be an STI. Therein my confusion re what you wrote. :)

Well, this site is always good for learning something. I'm newer to 1911's, but I've only heard the term 2011 referred to specifically with STI products - I didn't know it was just a generic term for a double stack 1911. Good to know.

Well, this site is always good for learning something. I'm newer to 1911's, but I've only heard the term 2011 referred to specifically with STI products - I didn't know it was just a generic term for a double stack 1911. Good to know.

You ask them... they think they own it. But I've seen lots of ads for 2011 generic products. :D

They are a great, and I do mean great little tool. As mentioned they seem heavy now days since there is a lot of steel in them. I had one of the very early ones. Then bought another many years later. As shown there is no buffer tube. As with ALL mass manufactured anything a bad one will get out now and then. Other than the weight they are VERY nice.

I still want one. Thought I would get one for my P14.45 but then decided to pass the Para down to my SIL. Sick, I know. Now I want one for the Glock 34 I bought to replace the Para. 33rd sticks... YUM!!!

Yup. What seems to be a buffer tube is merely an end cap. The bolt and spring are contained in the main body... That is why you can have one with a folding spring stock by purchasing your CCU with their adapter on the end.

I suppose one could shorten the barrel as long as you don't go past the barrel support but I might've read something about the barrel moving during recoil... not sure, too unfocused today to research.

They are strait blow back, so barrel is fixed. My original had a stock welded on since it was made during the great ban. The new version came just the unit and you could bolt on an AR stock with a simple adapter or they sell a tele wire stock. When I ordered it they were priced as just the unit and you decide what you want them to add if anything. I never tried to take one apart. There is some instructions on how that come with it along with warnings that it's not recommended. Would be simple to make an SBR out of.

They are strait blow back, so barrel is fixed. My original had a stock welded on since it was made during the great ban. The new version came just the unit and you could bolt on an AR stock with a simple adapter or they sell a tele wire stock. When I ordered it they were priced as just the unit and you decide what you want them to add if anything. I never tried to take one apart. There is some instructions on how that come with it along with warnings that it's not recommended. Would be simple to make an SBR out of.

Think you'd lose enough momentum by shortening the barrel that you'd have to change the spring?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top