MechTech 1911 CCU

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Rifles' started by Will_White, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

Triple stack! :s0010:

misterarman, Alexx1401 and bbbass like this.
  2. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Never tried but I "think" the idea of a blowback action is the bullet is gone before the bolt moves. So it seems that the bolt would go no matter how much less barrel there was. As long as these have been around there is surely some who have made an NFA weapon out of one. Somewhere out there is probably some reviews and such on how they did it.

etrain16 and bbbass like this.
  3. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

I did a quick search of someone who had made or tried to make an NFA out of one of these and nothing seems to be popping up. Kind of surprised me. So don't know if some have tried and ran into some kind of problem or what.

bbbass likes this.
  4. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

etrain16 likes this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

That's a good one - and I found another, possibly even closer to the action of the Mech Tech - this one shows a Tec 9, which seems to have a very similar setup to the Mech Tech.

Skip to 6:12 to start the Tec 9 portion:

bbbass likes this.
  6. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but the TNW PCC's I have work this way. They sell the same guns as either a pistol or a rifle. To make a rifle a pistol is just a barrel swap to the shorter barrel. They are saying nothing else changes. So the Mech-Tech would work the same way. TNW does of course warn you not to have in your possession a rifle and a pistol barrel unless you have also bought a pistol from them. Since if you get caught with them both (rifle and pistol barrel but no pistol) it "could" lead to you being charged. They also last I looked said they would not sell you a pistol length barrel unless you could prove to them you had one of their guns that was made as a hand gun. So anyway the Mech-Tech would work the same. Don't know why this did not click with me as I was very much thinking of buying another TNW in pistol form to use with one of the braces.

bbbass and etrain16 like this.
  7. Will_White

Will_White
    Salem, OR

Is your buddy using a single stack or double stack 1911 and if single stack does it work well enough for him for the IDPA PCC division?
    thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing, too bad the listings finished so I can't get contact the guy.
    Looking at BBTI (and including 45 super since there's only one entry for 460 Rowland) it looks like commercial ammo doesn't really gain much from a barrel longer then 10 or 12" so momentum shouldn't really be effected.
    Weight doesn't really bother me that much, besides with 44 mag ballistics, weight is a good thing.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  8. Will_White

Will_White
    Salem, OR

Saw this on another thread, how's this working for you, and who did you have cut it down and thread it?

bbbass likes this.
  9. Deavis

Deavis
    Mid Willamette Valley

IMG_0553.JPG
    Tom Denall did the cut/threading.

This thing is admittedly ugly but wicked effective.

It's an odd combo: Pistol Brace + CCU + 80% lower + suppressor and old red dot but it works, really really well.

10. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

I'll see if I can find out. I didn't shoot with his squad last time but I have his phone #.

Will_White likes this.
  11. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

I forgot. Maybe Saturday. :)

12. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

I talked to my friend today... His MechTech is actually for a Glock 17, which surprises me because he is a 1911 guy. However he got that because he could use the Glock 33rd mags with it. Apparently the Division Capacity for PCC is 30 rounds. A single stack would be at quite a disadvantage, yes?

Secondly, he gave an emphatic yes on the reliability being enough to shoot IDPA PCC with it. Said it is a bit on the heavy side tho. Which, having shot with my AR heavy varmint rifle, I think would be another disadvantage.

He mentioned that AR9 prices have been coming down and some are now on sale for $600, which is only slightly above the price of a Mechtech upper.

spookshack and Will_White like this.
  13. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

14. Will_White

Will_White
    Salem, OR

How long of a barrel did you end up with?