JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Think you'd lose enough momentum by shortening the barrel that you'd have to change the spring?

Never tried but I "think" the idea of a blowback action is the bullet is gone before the bolt moves. So it seems that the bolt would go no matter how much less barrel there was. As long as these have been around there is surely some who have made an NFA weapon out of one. Somewhere out there is probably some reviews and such on how they did it.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but the TNW PCC's I have work this way. They sell the same guns as either a pistol or a rifle. To make a rifle a pistol is just a barrel swap to the shorter barrel. They are saying nothing else changes. So the Mech-Tech would work the same way. TNW does of course warn you not to have in your possession a rifle and a pistol barrel unless you have also bought a pistol from them. Since if you get caught with them both (rifle and pistol barrel but no pistol) it "could" lead to you being charged. They also last I looked said they would not sell you a pistol length barrel unless you could prove to them you had one of their guns that was made as a hand gun. So anyway the Mech-Tech would work the same. Don't know why this did not click with me as I was very much thinking of buying another TNW in pistol form to use with one of the braces.

One of my IDPA buddies bought one recently. (IDPA has a new Pistol Cartridge Carbine division). Not sure whether his is .45 or 9mm but I've heard he really likes it. Other folks at the last shoot were asking about it too.

Yup, they are a bit on the heavy side. IIRC there is no recoil buffer per se... the have what looks like a screen door spring so that when their bolt recoils like a sled, the spring pulls it back again. Sounds kind of hinky, and maybe it is, but remember that the biggest problem with AR9 and kits is that the bolt tends to push the buffer too quickly and the timing can be off and hard to tune. These folks seem to have that down, although I bet the spring needs to be replaced from time to time.

As far as modifications go, you really should ask their engineer... I been told he is easy to talk to. Reports I have heard about customer service vary from immediate replacement to they don't think they can do anything about the problem. Your mileage may vary!
Is your buddy using a single stack or double stack 1911 and if single stack does it work well enough for him for the IDPA PCC division?
I think the story on mectech was it was a cool invention and the owner was great with customers. Then sold the rights to make it to a company that is less good with customers, but the original designer is still involved a bit. But when I had mine they sent out the wrong ramp. They replaced it for free and threw in a couple of different sizes to try to make sure I got one that would work. That was nice.

The buffer tube houses the whole bolt reciprocating assembly which is quite large. Even if you were going to take out the springs and make it single shot, you would still need to buffer tube to cycle the next round.
(think like an AR pistol, it isnt going to function without the buffer tube)

Shortest you are going to get one would be like this

View attachment 390778
thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing, too bad the listings finished so I can't get contact the guy.
Think you'd lose enough momentum by shortening the barrel that you'd have to change the spring?
Looking at BBTI (and including 45 super since there's only one entry for 460 Rowland) it looks like commercial ammo doesn't really gain much from a barrel longer then 10 or 12" so momentum shouldn't really be effected.
They are a great, and I do mean great little tool. As mentioned they seem heavy now days since there is a lot of steel in them. I had one of the very early ones. Then bought another many years later. As shown there is no buffer tube. As with ALL mass manufactured anything a bad one will get out now and then. Other than the weight they are VERY nice.
Weight doesn't really bother me that much, besides with 44 mag ballistics, weight is a good thing.

View attachment 388893 This is cheaper and no paperwork:

80% Glock lower from polymer 80 and a Mechtech CCU.

180 moly over 4.6 BE gives me subsonic velocity and 1" 50 yard groups.

I chopped the barrel and put a pistol brace on it.

Optic could use some upgrading but it is fun and cheap.

Pictured with my .45 suppressor.

I call it The Abomination.
Saw this on another thread, how's this working for you, and who did you have cut it down and thread it?

IMG_0553.JPG
Saw this on another thread, how's this working for you, and who did you have cut it down and thread it?

Tom Denall did the cut/threading.

This thing is admittedly ugly but wicked effective.

It's an odd combo: Pistol Brace + CCU + 80% lower + suppressor and old red dot but it works, really really well.

I talked to my friend today... His MechTech is actually for a Glock 17, which surprises me because he is a 1911 guy. However he got that because he could use the Glock 33rd mags with it. Apparently the Division Capacity for PCC is 30 rounds. A single stack would be at quite a disadvantage, yes?

Secondly, he gave an emphatic yes on the reliability being enough to shoot IDPA PCC with it. Said it is a bit on the heavy side tho. Which, having shot with my AR heavy varmint rifle, I think would be another disadvantage.

He mentioned that AR9 prices have been coming down and some are now on sale for $600, which is only slightly above the price of a Mechtech upper.

20170927_185922.jpg
Well I found a sub2000 gen 2 for a decent price that should work reasonably well for PCC competitions, it fits nicely beside the bed and with a little practice my wife should be able to shoot it well. Still planning on getting the CCU though for more power.

We have 2 older units. A 1911 unit with an older gunsmith kit frame that used a framed frame so no adapter needed.

The other is a second one for a Glock 17 for the wife. On this one the length of pull was too long, so I shortened the butt stock by 9/16" , the most I could go.

I've shot both of them in steel plate matches and never had a hic-up.
On another issue I got to compare the 9mm against a Palmetto Arms 9mm on a AR platform, and a Colt AR9. The Mech Tech had far less recoil then both of them. It's a soft push against a sharp slam.

01 Mech Tech for 1911.jpg 09 Mech Tech for Glock 17.JPG DSC00006.JPG 20.JPG

Last Edited:
We have 2 older units. A 1911 unit with an older gunsmith kit frame that used a framed frame so no adapter needed.

The other is a second one for a Glock 17 for the wife. On this one the length of pull was too long, so I shortened the butt stock by 9/16" , the most I could go.

I've shot both of them in steel plate matches and never had a hic-up.
On another issue I got to compare the 9mm against a Palmetto Arms 9mm on a AR platform, and a Colt AR9. The Mech Tech had far less recoil then both of them. It's a soft push against a sharp slam.

View attachment 394241 View attachment 394242 View attachment 394243 View attachment 394244
What's the weight difference between the CCU and the AR9?

The Mech Tech with an empty 33 rnd. mag weighs 7.315 lbs.
The Colt AR9 with mag weighs 7.675 lbs.

The Mech Tech has a massive bolt the measure about 6 1/ 2 " long by about 1 1/2" wide

The Colt has a standard bolt / carrier

DSC00012 (2).JPG DSC00013.JPG

View attachment 394238
Well I found a sub2000 gen 2 for a decent price that should work reasonably well for PCC competitions, it fits nicely beside the bed and with a little practice my wife should be able to shoot it well. Still planning on getting the CCU though for more power.

You should enjoy that a lot. They are so short and light that for me they make a dandy home gun. The GenII fixed one of the big short comings of the GenI like mine. Much better sights. Is the one you bought a Glock mag model?

You should enjoy that a lot. They are so short and light that for me they make a dandy home gun. The GenII fixed one of the big short comings of the GenI like mine. Much better sights. Is the one you bought a Glock mag model?
Yep, I think it can use any of the glock mags but I'm not sure, I can only get a 2 finger grip on it but my wife can get a full grip on it. Had to figure out a way that the wife could charge it but with that figured out she likes it too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top