JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if anyone has experience with Matador Arms, particularly their 9mm uppers? They also built Brownell's BRN-9 uppers for them too so if you have experience with those, feel free to chime in.

Curious if anyone has experience with Matador Arms, particularly their 9mm uppers? They also built Brownell's BRN-9 uppers for them too so if you have experience with those, feel free to chime in.
I own one but haven't taken it to the range yet. As a huge MAC clone fan. I like the design and it's stupid simple

I bought a Montgo-9 from AIM Surplus one night before Christmas. I had missed the deal on the BRN-9 they had for $350. When I got the email for the Montgo-9, I may have had a few cocktails in me and bought it on the spot. I had planned to use it with a Colt lower I had, but it turns out it only worked with a Glock lower. oh well, I have a Glock lower now. It runs great, and is accurate, it's also pretty fun to shoot. It makes for a pretty compact package too.

I'll snag a photo of it tomorrow.

I bought a Montgo-9 from AIM Surplus one night before Christmas. I had missed the deal on the BRN-9 they had for $350. When I got the email for the Montgo-9, I may have had a few cocktails in me and bought it on the spot. I had planned to use it with a Colt lower I had, but it turns out it only worked with a Glock lower. oh well, I have a Glock lower now. It runs great, and is accurate, it's also pretty fun to shoot. It makes for a pretty compact package too.

I'll snag a photo of it tomorrow.
They claim the newer MAT9K now works with Colt lowers. I've seen some iterations of them in the wild (internet). Guess I'll find out soon since I have a Spikes Colt lower and MAT9K on the way. The caveat is it has to be a LRBHO which mine is.

Yeah I thought I was getting one of the newer ones, thanks bourbon, but I picked up a Spikes lower and the LRBHO works great. I ended up SBR'ing the lower, and adding a picatinny folding stock.

Yeah I thought I was getting one of the newer ones, thanks bourbon, but I picked up a Spikes lower and the LRBHO works great. I ended up SBR'ing the lower, and adding a picatinny folding stock.
I have an sbr'd lower that takes colt mags that has been kind of cranky. Might end up trying this

If my Spikes Colt lower has any issues I may buy the new Matador Colt lower they said they're about to release. The owner mentioned it to me in the email when I bought the upper.

What type of mags have you been using?
I have some iwi ones. I want to say asc for some. But it has been short stroking which appears to be buffer related. I used a couple taccom3g.com buffer systems (which work beautifully with a Glock lower) with it and haven't put a normal one on it at this time. Part of me likes this idea. The other option is dead foot arms.

Here is my Glock mag Matador.

ePKzQOp - Imgur.jpg

I have some iwi ones. I want to say asc for some. But it has been short stroking which appears to be buffer related. I used a couple taccom3g.com buffer systems (which work beautifully with a Glock lower) with it and haven't put a normal one on it at this time. Part of me likes this idea. The other option is dead foot arms.
Hmm thats interesting since the recoil system is built into the upper with these. I've used the Brownells metalform stick mags with the Spikes in a standard AR9 setup with no hiccups to date. Hoping the feeding geometry of the lower will play well with the upper.
*EDIT* I did have to modify the ejector to interface with the carrier as it was initially not ejecting the spent casings. It is a common issue with the Colt ejector but is easily fixed by simply bending it inward about 5 degrees

Here you can see from a top view the ejector is bent slightly inward but not so much that it rubs on the channel wall of the carrier as it cycles.

20240425_091440.jpg

Hmm thats interesting since the recoil system is built into the upper with these. I've used the Brownells metalform stick mags with the Spikes in a standard AR9 setup with no hiccups to date. Hoping the feeding geometry of the lower will play well with the upper.
*EDIT* I did have to modify the ejector to interface with the carrier as it was initially not ejecting the spent casings. It is a common issue with the Colt ejector but is easily fixed by simply bending it inward about 5 degrees
I have a standard upper and am thinking the internal system would bypass my current issue. My Matador arms upper is on a Glock upper but mine is a montgo9 which is not Colt magazine compatible

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews