JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Martial law declared in New York City
Massive snow dump prompts extraordinary action by government
Published: 2 hours ago
Cars-buried-in-snow.jpg

It's the nagging fear many have about our government: what would happen if martial law was declared? New York City just found out, at least temporarily.

Eleven states as well as Washington D.C. declared states of emergency in the wake of the massive record-breaking snowstorm which blanketed the East. But New York City went a step further. Governor Andrew Cuomo declared "martial law" in New York City by ordering all people to stay inside under police enforcement. He issued an absolute travel ban for anything that is not an emergency vehicle.

The New York Police Department put out a blunt announcement on Saturday: "After 2:30 p.m. and you're on the road, we will arrest you."

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-1.jpg

As if that wasn't direct enough, the NYPD reiterated, ""Stay off the road. We don't want to have to arrest you."

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-2.jpg

The NYPD emphasized the need for safety, sending out additional tweets:

• "For your safety & ours, roads are closed in NYC except for emergency vehicles."
  • "We are asking people to make good common sense decisions. Use your head."
  • "Last year no one got arrested. People made the right decisions. We are looking for that again today."
Reactions ranged from outraged to amused.

• "Threatens arrest citizens for being on the streets 1 day due to snow. Illegals are free to roam the other 364."
  • "Haha. Arrest away then fella's."
  • "Calm down chief!"
  • "Shouldn't you help them get to their destinations safely instead of arresting them?"
  • "What if this person is trying to get home?"
  • "I get that the roads need to be clear for 911, but isn't that a bit extreme?"
  • "You are gonna have to arrest me, and I'll take it to court. This is appalling. I want to leave NYC!"
  • "You all drive prius's How in the world are you going to arrest me & my 4×4 with them?"
  • "You have made NYC go full Fascist!"
  • "Russia now has more freedom than NYC!!!!!!"
  • "*** martial law over a snowstorm. I pity us when there's an actual emergency."
A spokesperson for the New York Police Department said the ban just means no vehicles on the roads. Walking, running, and bicycles are permitted. "They can pedal all they want," said the spokesman

The police did request people not to walk in the streets so people could do their job.

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-3.jpg

The travel ban was lifted approximately 7 a.m. on Sunday.

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-4.jpg

NYPD reported 25 summonses were issued during the travel ban, and one arrest for driving while intoxicated.

Cars-buried-in-snow.jpg

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-1.jpg

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-2.jpg

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-3.jpg

Snow-article-1-24-16-twitter-4.jpg

No doubt, come this November, all the sheep in NY will quickly forget they live under the control of a dictator who will take away their freedom at the drop of a hat, and blindly follow their leader to the polls to re-elect them yet again. Shameful that so few Americans see a problem with this.

Screw New York. Screw Cuomo. Screw every damn New Yorker that gives these morons the power to do this. What a sad state of affairs in NY.

No doubt, come this November, all the sheep in NY will quickly forget they live under the control of a dictator who will take away their freedom at the drop of a hat, and blindly follow their leader to the polls to re-elect them yet again. Shameful that so few Americans see a problem with this.

Screw New York. Screw Cuomo. Screw every damn New Yorker that gives these morons the power to do this. What a sad state of affairs in NY.

Though I fully agree with your post, I also know how stupid people are. There are times when you just need to stay home for a day. But NO, the self absorbed self important ME,ME people will still go out and about. Then they get stuck, hurt, die, and want to blame others for their stupidity. There's no answer I tell ya'! Got to figure out a way to stop the stupid from breeding.

Though I fully agree with your post, I also know how stupid people are. There are times when you just need to stay home for a day. But NO, the self absorbed self important ME,ME people will still go out and about. Then they get stuck, hurt, die, and want to blame others for their stupidity. There's no answer I tell ya'! Got to figure out a way to stop the stupid from breeding.

It would be nice if adults could make responsible decisions for themselves. If that were the case, then maybe we wouldn't be in the mess with the government that we are today. If stupid people, irresponsible people, choose to do foolish things, let them suffer the consequences. That's how people used to learn. Unfortunately, we've got generations of people that think experiencing failure, injuries, etc., is harmful. Now, we pass laws and impose endless restrictions to try and legislate things like common sense. It can't be done. People need to learn by watching those who lead by example, and by experiencing, and failing, for themselves. I don't know why we've become so averse to learning through experience and failure. I think we're all better off doing it that way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top