JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I will join the Remlin fray. I gave Rossi, Marlin and Henry a good hard look. I originally wanted something in .45Colt or .44mag. I kept coming up against too slow of twist rates for my intended use. Although Henry's .45colt is 1:16, the actions constraint on cartridge length keeps you at 260gr or less. I want to shoot heavy wide metplat cast bullets and possibly even suppressed. I could not see butchering a beautiful high dollar Henry anyway. So that led me back to Marlin but their pistol cartridge offerings are 1:38 twist, no bueno. Well after a bit more research I came upon the idea of a 1895 guide gun in 45-70. You can load it down to 45 colt levels and subsonic no problem or hot rod it to levels that kill on both ends. At 1:20 twist it should work great. Best of all I can get one for under 5 bills new from my lgs. That is far less than I was looking at for some of my other options. They had to order it so I can't handle it off the rack but for the price it is chance I am willing to take. I will start a new thread and do a little review when I get it as well as chronical the mods I do and load development and accuracy reports. Stay tuned to find out if I am just a big sucker.:(
IMG_1303.PNG

Last Edited:
Well I will join the Remlin fray. I gave Rossi, Marlin and Henry a good hard look. I originally wanted something in .45Colt or .44mag. I kept coming up against too slow of twist rates for my intended use. Although Henry's .45colt is 1:16, the actions constraint on cartridge length keeps you at 260gr or less. I want to shoot heavy wide metplat cast bullets and possibly even suppressed. I could not see butchering a beautiful high dollar Henry anyway. So that led me back to Marlin but their pistol cartridge offerings are 1:38 twist, no bueno. Well after a bit more research I came upon the idea of a 1895 guide gun in 45-70. You can load it down to 45 colt levels and subsonic no problem or hot rod it to levels that kill on both ends. At 1:20 twist it should work great. Best of all I can get one for under 5 bills new from my lgs. That is far less than I was looking at for some of my other options. They had to order it so I can't handle it off the rack but for the price it is chance I am willing to take. I will start a new thread and do a little review when I get it as well as chronical the mods I do and load development and accuracy reports. Stay tuned to find out if I am just a big sucker.:(
View attachment 389939

Count me in when you start the Guide Gun Post.

I currently own (and shoot) two Guide Guns and one 1895BL.

One of my GGs is used to humanely euthanize large breed rescue animals at a variety of rescues/sanctuaries.

Having a wife who is "hippy" and having friends that are diversified when it comes "political beliefs" comes in handy at times.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top