JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've wanted a lever gun for quite a while. I dont need one -- I just want one. Have my eye on a Marlin. Anything I should know? I dare you guys to talk me out of it.

Few years back I picked up the 30-30 stainless Marlin a friend of a friend had at the range. Totally awesome accuracy for me in an iron sighted carbine.

Picking off the 100 and 200 yard gongs with ease and regularity, using the factory Leverelution/whatever ammo.

Couldn't talk him out of it with ever increasing wads of $hundreds.

I'm currently working on a re-build project Marlin 336 from 1951. Mainly it's just Dirty and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been given a good cleaning since it hit the streets. I'm not in a position to do any Shooting right now because of some major back issues but I'm sure it will be fine. I've never seen one that didn't shoot well if the Shooter was doing their part.:):D:D

I just got a Marlin 336 in stainless a few months ago. It is extremely accurate with iron sights, I like it way more than the Winchester model 94, it is way easier to disassemble and is a beautiful gun.

Because of the quality control issues with the Marlins that were made at the outset of the Remington/Freedom Group takeover, 336 rifles with anything but a "JM" proofmark are guns that should only be bought in person.
The problem guns had poor wood to metal fit, poor machining finish, and canted sights. Some were fine, a lot were junk. So, if the gun has a safety, check what proofmark it has. Anything but a JM mark, make sure you inspect first.

That being said, they are nice rifles and good shooters. The bolt and lever are easy to remove for proper chamber to muzzle cleaning. There were several iterations of the 336. Straight grip, pistol grip. Nose cap forend, barrel band forend. Youth and adult models. Walnut stocks, laminate, birch. .30-30, .35rem, .44 mag.

If (rather when) I look for another one, I will likely pay the premium for a pre-crossbolt safety model. I still regret selling mine...

IMG_0970.JPG

If you want to save some money, try looking for a Sears branded J.C. Higgins model 45 30/30 that was made by Marlin.
They are looked down on by collectors, but sell for 1/2 the money vintage 336 models go for.
The barrels are marked Sears and Roebuck 103.450.
Here's one that recently sold on Armslist for only $275.00

3794489_01_jc_higgins_model_45_marlin_336_640.jpg

I used to own a 336 in .30/30. That one was well before Marlin was bought out. It worked, I liked it, and have no real complaints. But I just liked the Winchester 94s better and have stuck with said over the years, up to and including the present.

I've had one older, "JM" marked Marlin, a 1895 Cowboy model in .45/70, that required two trips back to the factory (on my dime) to make it even cycle cartridges. After that, it was rock solid and a real thumper. I finally sold it a couple years ago, because I finally got the .45/70 out of my system.

So, all and all, if you pick up an older 336, odds are you'll be a happy camper. If you are thinking .30/30 WCF levergun, though, don't discount the old 94.

don't discount the old 94.
prior to my involvement with the SASS cowboy matches, I really had no idea of the differences between 94/Marlin/92/1873 etc.

I did manage to develop some opinions based on the cowboy match scenario, which is simply personal preference.

The 94 was really ill suited for cowboy matches. After handling about all the available mfgs in that particular type of use, my own favorite emerged, as being the 1873 slicked up a bit. Still, for a field carbine I'd take a Marlin by choice. I had a nice 1895 version in 45LC I liked a lot, but not in the 30-30 ballistic realm.

Thanks for all the input, especially the negatives. I've seen plenty of bad press on the Remlins but wasn't sure how much was legit vs regurgitated heresay. BTW, the one I'm looking at is a W in 30-30. Certainly nothing special but looks to have been gently handled and priced pretty right.

I like the '94s but it seems that everyone is extra proud of them. Had a lot of fun shooting a buddy's last summer. His grandpa got it as a kid. Fun shooting something with 100 years of working history.

I like the '94s but it seems that everyone is extra proud of them.
Like anything anyone is 'proud' of you have to research what is actually being paid for what you are looking for, develop a price range you believe is fair and have CASH in had when you make the offer. You would probably call me a thief for what I have paid for many of the guns I have bought but well, cash works!

I've got a few W94 stories that make the heart grow ever moister with retelling.....which I'll leave out for now.

And certainly this is not intended as ragging on the venerable 94 in any caliber. It's a delight in many ways to any who appreciate reliable mechanical beasties.

I was introduce to Rossi 1892 in 45LC as a cowboy action gun, because I couldn't afford the...yes, Winchester 94. Slowly over the decade i shot that Rossi, I begrudgingly became rather impressed with it....granted it handles more like an agricultural implement at harvest time in a lumpy field, still it fired any/everything fed to it.

I came to see those trying to make their W94 run faster for the gamester wing of the cowboy action matches. The mechanical wonders of 30-30 elevators just didn't adapt well. Given the targets were 20-50 yards, their inherent pointability didn't make up for the slow stage times inherent with such design. And they simply could not be adapted to 10 rounds of 45LC, so that limited their appeal.

The Marlin 1895 of course was designed and marketed with those very issues in mind. And don't get me started on the marvels of the grandfather 1866 that started the Winchester dynasty.

I'm still looking for the proper Marlin 336, someday it will show up.
The 1894 Winchester doesn't produce the same kind of enjoyment. YMMV.

I found my 1943 Winchester '94 in a secrete basement room wall cavity that I was remodeling.
The home owner just handed it to me and said "You take it, I don't like guns."

win 94 006.JPG

I was introduce to Rossi 1892 in 45LC as a cowboy action gun, because I couldn't afford the...yes, Winchester 94. Slowly over the decade i shot that Rossi, I begrudgingly became rather impressed with it....granted it handles more like an agricultural implement at harvest time in a lumpy field, still it fired any/everything fed to it.

I've been very tempted to acquire a Rossi 92 in .357. The reviews I've read online have been mixed. It is nice to hear of a good report on those leverguns. :)

I found my 1943 Winchester '94 in a secrete basement room wall cavity that I was remodeling.
The home owner just handed it to me and said "You take it, I don't like guns."

View attachment 382611

Nice! Very nice.

The Marlin 336 (and earlier variants) are fantastic rifles. The actions are excellent and the rifle is overall robust. I have passed on several Marlins out of simply nothing more than procrastination. However over the years I have always appreciated the Winchester 94 and Currently own three in 30-30. The Winchester comes to the shoulder like a fine violin. They are trim and well balanced and even in 26" barrel lengths there is no loss of 'grace'. The mod 94 may not have the 'refinement' of the Marlin but it has its own 'style' and is a great rifle with a history and background few items can equal.

I've been very tempted to acquire a Rossi 92 in .357.
Save your money and find a JM MARLIN in .357 - top of the heap - simply the best
Buy an available Henry in .357 - other than a couple minor issues I love mine - fit and finish is that of rifles with bigger names and prices. There is currently nothing to equal a new Henry right now - except maybe a Miroku Winchester - at over twice the price. (Henry on the right)
Avoid a Winchester AE in ANY pistol caliber - I sold my Trapper .357 of over ten years when I bought the Henry.
IMG_0727.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews