JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I will join the Remlin fray. I gave Rossi, Marlin and Henry a good hard look. I originally wanted something in .45Colt or .44mag. I kept coming up against too slow of twist rates for my intended use. Although Henry's .45colt is 1:16, the actions constraint on cartridge length keeps you at 260gr or less. I want to shoot heavy wide metplat cast bullets and possibly even suppressed. I could not see butchering a beautiful high dollar Henry anyway. So that led me back to Marlin but their pistol cartridge offerings are 1:38 twist, no bueno. Well after a bit more research I came upon the idea of a 1895 guide gun in 45-70. You can load it down to 45 colt levels and subsonic no problem or hot rod it to levels that kill on both ends. At 1:20 twist it should work great. Best of all I can get one for under 5 bills new from my lgs. That is far less than I was looking at for some of my other options. They had to order it so I can't handle it off the rack but for the price it is chance I am willing to take. I will start a new thread and do a little review when I get it as well as chronical the mods I do and load development and accuracy reports. Stay tuned to find out if I am just a big sucker.:(
IMG_1303.PNG

Last Edited:
Well I will join the Remlin fray. I gave Rossi, Marlin and Henry a good hard look. I originally wanted something in .45Colt or .44mag. I kept coming up against too slow of twist rates for my intended use. Although Henry's .45colt is 1:16, the actions constraint on cartridge length keeps you at 260gr or less. I want to shoot heavy wide metplat cast bullets and possibly even suppressed. I could not see butchering a beautiful high dollar Henry anyway. So that led me back to Marlin but their pistol cartridge offerings are 1:38 twist, no bueno. Well after a bit more research I came upon the idea of a 1895 guide gun in 45-70. You can load it down to 45 colt levels and subsonic no problem or hot rod it to levels that kill on both ends. At 1:20 twist it should work great. Best of all I can get one for under 5 bills new from my lgs. That is far less than I was looking at for some of my other options. They had to order it so I can't handle it off the rack but for the price it is chance I am willing to take. I will start a new thread and do a little review when I get it as well as chronical the mods I do and load development and accuracy reports. Stay tuned to find out if I am just a big sucker.:(
View attachment 389939

Count me in when you start the Guide Gun Post.

I currently own (and shoot) two Guide Guns and one 1895BL.

One of my GGs is used to humanely euthanize large breed rescue animals at a variety of rescues/sanctuaries.

Having a wife who is "hippy" and having friends that are diversified when it comes "political beliefs" comes in handy at times.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top