JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
agree on the handling qualities of 94; I've never found the urge to acquire any of the fine examples presented over the years at various estate sales, gun shows, etc.

Here is a model 36 that I own , its from 1947.
These are neat to find and shoot as well.
Andy
DSC03365.jpg

If iron sights over a scope is your choice, the 336 has a great option: Skinner Sights peep sights with brass front and aperture size of your choice. The 94 requires receiver mounts from the side. I much preferred my Skinner-sighted 336 over my current 94 with Williams receiver sight.

If a scope is your thing, the 336 is really the best choice, even over the 94AE. The Mossberg 464 design is better (just in regards to the ability to mount a scope!) than the 94AE, but the 336 design (with the side eject) is the best of all for scopes.

Love the looks of the stock. How is the fit and finish overall? Is it a recent manufacture? I have a 1980 Marlin 375 (336 in .375 Winchester). They just started making ammo again after 7 - 8 years. Gunbroker was selling boxes for $150. I was down to 14 rounds of factory ammo, but now am stocked up for a while and reloading. It was a safe queen for a few years.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. Mostly because my expectations weren't that high. It's pretty tight with the exception of some slight front to back movement of the forend which is apparently really common. The action feels great. I haven't run the numbers yet but I think its about 5 years old. Seller claimed he's taken several deer with it. He really seemed sad to see it go. Divorce sale. My brother got a 10/22 from him.

I've wanted a lever gun for quite a while. I dont need one -- I just want one. Have my eye on a Marlin. Anything I should know? I dare you guys to talk me out of it.

"I didn't need one" either but it was like new with scope. Needless to say I'm fully supervised in Cabelas now

I must have got a good one fit and finish were nice action is smooth.

-Aaron

IMG_0315.JPG

I'm currently working on a re-build project Marlin 336 from 1951. Mainly it's just Dirty and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been given a good cleaning since it hit the streets. I'm not in a position to do any Shooting right now because of some major back issues but I'm sure it will be fine. I've never seen one that didn't shoot well if the Shooter was doing their part.:):D:D

What calibre friend? I am doing the same thing for my 1950 Marlin in .35 Rem.

I did not need it but, I purchased a new Remington built Marlin 336Y recently. Have not shot it yet. Testing with a dummy round it functions just fine, action may be a little gritty but could be easily tuned with a little bit of stoning and lube.

Cost was $325 after the rebate. Assuming it shoots decent, my take is that it is a good value. I will have this one threaded and mount my suppressor on it, hence my interest in the shorter barrel. Overall, decent quality and happy with the purchase. I am glad these are still be produced for shooters even though there have been quality issues when Remington too over and they are not the "same" as before.

Video of action...I have not oiled or done anything to it..works fine.

Save your money and find a JM MARLIN in .357 - top of the heap - simply the best
Buy an available Henry in .357 - other than a couple minor issues I love mine - fit and finish is that of rifles with bigger names and prices. There is currently nothing to equal a new Henry right now - except maybe a Miroku Winchester - at over twice the price. (Henry on the right)
Avoid a Winchester AE in ANY pistol caliber - I sold my Trapper .357 of over ten years when I bought the Henry.
View attachment 382618

I am looking hard at the Henry in .357, as it will pair well with my SP101. What is the barrel length of yours? I really like the probable handling ease of the Carbine 16.5", but thinking the 20" may be more accurate at a little longer distances.

Speaking of lever guns, if there were 20 choices, you'd get 20 different opinions from different folks. But since there are only two good choices, Marlin and Winchester, you'll only get two opinions. I have them both. The Marlins are the nicest, and maybe a bit more accurate, but I like my Winchester's too.

Last Edited:
I agree with Wayno on the '20 choices' being really only '2 good choices', but since my focus was on cowboy action (a speed event) those 2 would be Marlin 1895 and Uberti 1873.

By far my favorite pistol caliber lever gun is the Uberti clone of the Winchester 1873 for a variety of reasons.

Although the 1866 really is virtually identical design, the brass frame is considerably heavier than the steel version '73.

And my initial response to the '73 was disappointment...which led to getting the little beastie smoothed out a bit...and yes, with a little short stroke kit.

Make using it absolute pleasure. Didn't take enough time off my score to make me 'gamer'....just a 'participant' at considerably more brisk pace....

Even with the roughness of the Rossi 92, it held up to as many as 4 users in a single match, for over 2 years, and 2 or 3 shooters for over 5. Never glitched out, swallowed everything I fed it, and never smoothed out with use. Almost sorry to have traded it off, but I'd take another in any day in preference to the 94. YMMV.

My father purchased his first rifle upon arriving in Oregon in 1962 and it happened to be a 336 RC. When he passed a couple years ago it came to me.

I can speak of this now since he is gone, but my father was a notorious poacher when he was younger and fed our family, and a few others, with game meat. One season alone he killed 15 blacktail bucks (that I was aware of) all with that 336.

I know that he was on the radar of OSP at some level because I can remember when I was 5 or 6 having a trooper visit our cabin. Dad wasn't home, but my mother, who was several months pregnant, was home and talked to the trooper. He asked to look inside and my mother, naive Saint that she was, obliged and let him in.

He inspected our pantry, which was stacked with Mason jars full of canned venison. He looked them over, thanked my mom, and left. Never saw him again.

This is a photo of the infamous rifle with original Weaver scope.

20170813_194646.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads