JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the store.......
Metal cutting and finish?
Stock fitting?
Action working smoothly?
Barrel rifling and is it clear?

Take it out and shoot some. By then.....you'll probably know if you got a lemon or not.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Didn't read all the replies but you should shoot it to see if it's any good.. if it works and is accurate. You can generally tell if it's got problems without mounting a scope on it.

I have a 2005 vintage .444 Marlin. I need to find his big brother in .45-70 and little brother in .44 Magnum from the same timeframe to round out my lever gun collection.

Might as well throw in a 30-30 as well ;)

Nice buy, I'm personally still hoping to see a CST in real life one day.

Bought mine a year ago. Like you I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Very difficult to find these. Fit and finish is perfect. I have about 200 rounds through it and it has been flawless and consistently very accurate at 50 yards.

I have the same gun, but did a lot of work to it. New trigger, the trigger slop is silly. Deburred and rounded the edges on the lever, much smoother. Polished and cleaned up the milling marks, etc inside the rifle and its very smooth. threaded the barrel and bobbed the magazine for the suppressor. Wonderful moose gun, but it does a number on sage rats too :)

We have those rifles in stock now.

My XLR .45/70 has been flawless, but it took some working in to get it there! It was a trade in, likely due to its roughness, but the bore was nice and shiny, and the outside fit and finish was serviceable! About 4 hours of work after a complete dissassembly and she is perfection! Added a good set of ghost ring and modified front sight with trit insert and a big bubba brake and she is a pussy cat to shoot! Prolly going to have it ceracoated like the early M-16s grayish color! Take the shine out of it and should look better with the laminate stocks!:)

I have the same gun, but did a lot of work to it. New trigger, the trigger slop is silly. Deburred and rounded the edges on the lever, much smoother. Polished and cleaned up the milling marks, etc inside the rifle and its very smooth. threaded the barrel and bobbed the magazine for the suppressor. Wonderful moose gun, but it does a number on sage rats too :)

We have those rifles in stock now.

Sage rats with a 45-70 :eek:

What is everybody's concerns about it?
As we say over at the Marlin Owners board, you got yourself a Remlin.
Go to you tube, or google checking Remlins, and you can find all the weirdness that has been inflicted on these fine machines.

Are there good ones, you bet. It all comes down to a pig in a polk.
Go over it with a fine tooth comb, inside and out.

Would I own one past 2002, hell no.
Would I shoot one, after the owner did :-D

I bought my 1895 SBL last year and while there are some QC issues (rough machining marks in the action, a big nick in the hammer spur) it's mechanically fine and the sights were dead accurate out of the box. I've put about 200 rounds through it without issue. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm satisfied with my rifle. The QC issues it has are all cosmetic and not anything serious.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top