JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've heard some horrible reviews on these rifles. I was at Cabela's and found one that just came in and there were about 10 people looking at it . I was the first guy to pull my wallet out so I ended up taking it home. I took it back and got a scope mounted today. What is everybody's concerns about it?? It seems like a very nice lever gun. The stainless is beautiful. Did I buy a lemon or have the production issues been fixed? It was made july of 18 .Chambered in 45-70. IMG_20180903_111037946.jpg

IMG_20180903_111041482.jpg

I have the same rifle. Mine shoots ok - so far, only put a few rounds thru it.

My understanding was that Marlin quality had fallen before Remington/et. al. took them over, then for a few years Remington was pushing them out after moving the plant and losing some good people due to the move, but for the last couple of years they have been doing better.

Doesn't mean they are all good - I still hear horror stories, especially about customer service. I intend to take my two Marlins over to Velzey and have him go thru them.

I will say that I like my Browning BLR better than an old school Marlin or Winchester - especially since it is a takedown model.

Yeah I've always wanted a lever and this thing is just downright beautiful. Yeah I picked up a 1.5x5 scope. I figured I couldn't shoot past 200 yards with this rifle. Really excited for Elk season and hopefully get to try it out.

Yeah I've always wanted a lever and this thing is just downright beautiful. Yeah I picked up a 1.5x5 scope. I figured I couldn't shoot past 200 yards with this rifle. Really excited for Elk season and hopefully get to try it out.

I shoot 45-70 quite a bit. I have an 1885 high wall and an 1886 lightweight. I use 405gr bullets in the 1886 because the shape is more blunt and I can crimp on the cannelure and feed reliably. If the OAL gets long, it just won't feed. The 300gr bullets work, I just prefer more weight.

I shoot 45-70 quite a bit. I have an 1885 high wall and an 1886 lightweight. I use 405gr bullets in the 1886 because the shape is more blunt and I can crimp on the cannelure and feed reliably. If the OAL gets long, it just won't feed. The 300gr bullets work, I just prefer more weight.

Yeahbut what about their BC? :D

I'd like one of those in .44 Mag and .357....

Something about shooting a bowling ball out of the barrel doesn't appeal to me.

Good selection though, I'm a sucker for laminated and stainless.

I'd like one of those in .44 Mag and .357....

Something about shooting a bowling ball out of the barrel doesn't appeal to me.

Good selection though, I'm a sucker for laminated and stainless.

What sold me was that I can hand-load less powerful rounds to match the 44 but I cannot make more powerful rounds to match the 45-70 if i would have gotten the 44.

What sold me was that I can hand-load less powerful rounds to match the 44 but I cannot make more powerful rounds to match the 45-70 if i would have gotten the 44.
And if SHTF you can load it with blackpowder. Of course that is true of most cartridges, but straight wall works better with BP?

I looked for and found some lightweight .458 'button' bullets too IIRC.

What I wish lever gun manufacturers would come out with is short barreled (16-18") octagon stainless levers in .44 mag or .454 or .45-70 or .30-30. Chiappa has some like that I think, but I have questions about their quality, especially for the price they ask.

There's a company in Cody Wyoming called Bighorn Armory that builds about anything you could want in a quality lever gun up to 460 .

Remlin QC issues are far from all fixed but if you can inspect before you buy you can stumble upon some keepers I understand. The one I ordered a year or so ago was missing some rifling. I would not buy unless it was on the shelf to inspect first. Sounds like you got a good one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top