JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really like the convenience and setup. So far, the app and laser round has helped with my aiming but I haven't gone to a live fire range yet to see the results. Can anyone else provide any feedback if this kit actually worked? Thanks!

I really like the convenience and setup. So far, the app and laser round has helped with my aiming but I haven't gone to a live fire range yet to see the results. Can anyone else provide any feedback if this kit actually worked? Thanks!
You may want to try this in the discussions page, not new member introduction. That said, I haven't used Mantis, but 5 min a day of dry fire was the best thing I ever did for my pistol shooting. If it allows you to do that and get quantifiable data points to track improvement, then it will work if you put in the effort.

Welcome! I do not have any experience with the Mantis as we bought the commercial grade SCATT. I really wish I'd saved $1700 by just getting the Mantis to begin with. The SCATT, when it works, is as accurate as live fire. We bought it for my daughter, she shoots precision smallbore and air rifle. From what I hear about the Mantis is that it is very robust. I still may end up obtaining one.

1663521331178.png

Aloha, Mark

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

We borrowed a Mantis unit from some friends but haven't used it yet. Hard good things from the friends.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome to the forum! Mantis systems can show all kinds of motion that contribute or detract from shooting skills. Initially I was put off because how could this game of laser tag make me a better shooter, then I started shooting better by using it.

as Elv8dm states, Dry Fire is also highly effective as a practice method.
Converting actions into muscle memory goes a long way toward establishing consistency.

I've got the Mantis X10 Elite system and it's great. I haven't used it a bunch yet so can't comment on all aspects of it but the dry fire & live fire training does provide great feedback on various things that you might be doing wrong and provide an overall score to each shot attempt. It has a movement tracker that shows how much you move the gun around before & during trigger press. There are lots of various training sessions to provide training exercises. It provides immediate feedback during firing and shows trending of shot placement. Maintains history of your sessions on my iPhone. Recommend purchasing some type of dry fire magazine insert to keep slide from locking back. They are relatively inexpensive and available on Amazon. I selected BarrelBlok version as it includes a barrel insert to indicate unloaded weapon and soft landing spot for the firing pin (can be had for <$17). Friend is currently borrowing it after using at a live fire range session to practice dry firing. Sensor can mount on Picatinny rail via quick release in front of trigger or behind. Can be mounted with adhesive pad. I purchased an adapter for my Sig P365 rail to convert it to a Picatinny for easier mounting.
There are separate apps for rifle/pistol, shotgun and archery. I have only used the rifle/pistol app so can't comment on the other 2.

I considered the Mantis system but a lot of good, fast, accurate shooting is a result of proper muscle memory. The Mantis system requires the shooter to reset the pistol after every trigger pull, right? Just imagine needing that pistol in a hurry and firing one shot, then resetting the pistol from memory because that's what you did thousands of times in your living room. 😳😜😁

I considered the Mantis system but a lot of good, fast, accurate shooting is a result of proper muscle memory. The Mantis system requires the shooter to reset the pistol after every trigger pull, right? Just imagine needing that pistol in a hurry and firing one shot, then resetting the pistol from memory because that's what you did thousands of times in your living room. 😳😜😁
Hey, if that's good enough for British Bobbies, it's good enough for YOU!

This is true of the "dry fire" sessions that allow you to work on your aim, hold and trigger pull along with other things like holster draw analysis, etc. This will aid in your "live fire" sessions with the Mantis system to further analyze your abilities and provide feedback. The "live fire" mode with it will indicate if you're improving during "dry fire" training sessions. I don't believe that practicing with having to rack the slide after each trigger pull creates such a learned habit that switching to the real firing will result in me pulling the trigger, sending a bullet and then reaching up to eject a round.
If it's that important, there are some CO2 systems that will provide slide action but they are relatively expensive (IMHO). It helps to add dummy rounds to provide a more accurate weight feel and instead of chasing these rounds on the ground, I recommend adding the magazine insert to prevent the slide locking and adding the extra motion of having to release it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top