JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man securing firearms in vehicle triggers Llano school lockdown - DailyTrib.com - Your Hill Country online news authority

LLANO — A man securing firearms in a vehicle Nov. 27 launched temporary lockdown protocols at three Llano Independent School District campuses, officials said.

The so-called "soft lockdown" or "lockout" was implemented around 9:15 a.m. and lifted about 15 minutes later, according to LISD Superintendent Mac Edwards.

Llano High School, Llano Junior High School, and Llano Elementary enacted the lockdown protocol.

"The doors are locked or secured. Business (is) as usual inside the doors, but no one in or out," Edwards said. "It was normal protocol."

A LISD school resource officer, who is an employee of the Llano County Attorney's Office, initially alerted the school district of a report of a possible "armed threat" in an unincorporated area of the county, the superintendent said.

Llano County Sheriff Bill Blackburn confirmed that a report of an "armed threat" approximately 12 miles from the city resulted in a Llano County Sheriff's Office investigation. The person in question, however, was simply unloading a firearm before placing it in his vehicle.

"He was unloading a firearm, and there was no threat. Somebody else who was there misinterpreted what he was doing," Blackburn said. "He was being safety conscience about putting his guns in a vehicle."

Edwards said that, despite the false alarm, school officials will continue to take such precautions in the future.

"We were securing the buildings," he said. "Our first priority is safety of our students and staff."

As I stopped at NW Custom Firearms this morning, I wondered if the High School directly across the street would have a meltdown if someone noticed folks walking in and out of Jon's establishment with firearms.

As I stopped at NW Custom Firearms this morning, I wondered if the High School directly across the street would have a meltdown if someone noticed folks walking in and out of Jon's establishment with firearms.

I worked at a school in Eastern Oregon where the gun range was right next to the high school. We didn't think anything of hearing guns being shot during school hours. Of course, some of the kids could also figure out who was shooting by what was being shot and the rate of fire.

Then again, that was the school district where they had to put locks on the classroom doors before having their first lock-down drill. Gotta love small towns.

I brought my Rifle to school on the bus. And left it in the principals office. so I could hunt with friends on the weekend. :D

I remember a kid bringing a rifle for his informational speech. It was brought in by his dad and kept in the office safe until the speech.

Times sure have changed.

I remember a kid bringing a rifle for his informational speech. It was brought in by his dad and kept in the office safe until the speech.

Times sure have changed.

I remember one of the kids (an acquaintance of mine in our rural area) for his Senior project restored an old, beat up, 12-gauge SxS. Naturally, he had to bring in said scattergun to show the fruits of his labor and what he learned by working with a local gunsmith. He, and his mentor, did darn fine work.

You are correct, times sure have changed.

My school was so cool it went into lockdown for eight years when Clinton was elected and that's like 2000 miles away.

not really

I remember one of the kids (an acquaintance of mine in our rural area) for his Senior project restored an old, beat up, 12-gauge SxS. Naturally, he had to bring in said scattergun to show the fruits of his labor and what he learned by working with a local gunsmith. He, and his mentor, did darn fine work.

You are correct, times sure have changed.
Today, he'd be sent for a mental evaluation because of his "obsession" with guns and most likely forced into taking some pharmaceutical for his condition...

Folks, we need a fundamental change in the leadership starting in our school districts and going all the way up to the Capital Building in Washington, D.C.

Honestly?!?!

Did he have a real firearm or just a pop tart bitten into the shape of a gun...

Dear God, please help this pathetic society that we live in...

The problem is that he was using green tipped Tac-tic-al ammo:
image-130440.jpg
Not only that, the magazine was an extra high capacity "BIG PACK"

Last Edited:
What places go into "lockdown" other than schools? Prisons...

Are students being conditioned for a totalitarian future?

I live 7 miles from the elementary school that three generations of my family attended, a little bit farther from several schools on the other side of the mountain.

There is gun fire, often rapid gunfire up here on the mountain from time to time, with some people walking around on their property with guns. I think the new neighbors with a toddler might look askance a little at this, but I have not heard of any lockdowns anywhere nearby.

I guess it is a little bit different mentality in the rural areas?

I was in grade school during the early 70s when we lived in eastern Oregon. Great place, great time.

We're a long ways from that now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads