JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you can fix stupid with hardware, got it.

Everyone from time to time pulls a bonehead move. As an example, I have been reloading since 1994. I always pay close attention in a distraction free environment. Except two or three years ago I made a squib load. I use a single stage press so it wasn't a mechanical issue with a progressive -- it was 100% me. No matter how much attention and focus a person applies, it is inevitable that a mistake will happen. One squib in 25 years is obviously rare, but you wouldn't believe how embarrassed I was -- felt like a total knob. Not putting powder in the case was stupid, not seeing when I checked the cases for powder was stupid. Throwing some hardware at the problem (better lighting) was smart.

We usually don't notice our mistakes because most of the time there are no consequences, even with firearm handling. Applying layers of processes and/or hardware can minimize the number of mistakes and minimize the number of times mistakes have consequences. So while you can't fix stupid, you can plan for it and take measures to limit its effects.

Last Edited:
Never been a Sig fan, but In my experience firearms don't "accidentally" discharge

I would agree, to a point; guns don't just go bang without PERFECT conditions. Firearms are manufactured using various technologies and contain multiple components, all of which are prone to fatigue and potential manufacturer defects. That said, it is possible, although improbable, that when a firearm has a round in the chamber with the hammer/striker cocked that a component can fail due to fatigue or defect and cause an AD. This is rare with most modern firearms and the exception rather than the rule. I've not personally experienced an AD, but have witnessed a ND once or twice.

I'm just saying that it is possible for a gun that is cocked and ready to rock can go bang when it isn't supposed to, and it isn't always human error. Sometimes sh1t just happens. Not all firearms are created equally.

That said, it is possible, although improbable, that when a firearm has a round in the chamber with the hammer/striker cocked that a component can fail due to fatigue or defect and cause an AD.

Sorry to go necro here, but since we have another thread on the subject now....

I'm only familiar with Glock striker fired pistols. In a Glock pistol, the striker is not fully cocked until the trigger bar is moved rearwards by the trigger shoe... which cannot move rearward until the trigger is depressed, moving the trigger safety leaf off the blocking position. Additionally, the striker safety cannot move from blocking the striker until the bump on the trigger bar moves back, coming into contact with the striker safety plunger and moving it upwards. Can somebody explain how the Sig is different? Are the strikers at full cock after the slide cycles?

This particular officer was fired today, and admitted that he habitually removed his pistol from its holster and played with it, and was doing so when it discharged.

Sig makes both hammer fired and striker fired pistols. Does anyone know what model Sig he was fondling?

I get him folding it, I really do, I can hardly keep my hands off my Sig M11, she's a beauty :D

There was a post much earlier in the thread that said the entire dept switched to p320s. And that's the one that had the AD problems - striker fired. Still not sure how it differs from the Glock striker system tho.

According to the animation on Youtube, it appears the P320 striker is fully cocked at stasis/rest. Another article reviewed indicated that the ADs, from being dropped, reported were from 2017 models and the problem was later fixed. Not sure how they fixed it.

There was a post much earlier in the thread that said the entire dept switched to p320s. And that's the one that had the AD problems - striker fired. Still not sure how it differs from the Glock striker system tho.
Got it... One would think there's only a couple of three was to make a striker fired mechanism. But I'm not a mechanical engineer.

According to the animation on Youtube, it appears the P320 striker is fully cocked at stasis/rest. Another article reviewed indicated that the ADs, from being dropped, reported were from 2017 models and the problem was later fixed. Not sure how they fixed it.
Seems silly to have the striker fully cocked at rest. Perhaps was done for a lighter trigger pull? Still seems to carry with it too much liability, but as I said I'm no mechanical engineer.

I wonder if he was spinning it on his finger, like a Western movie...
I watched some idiot years ago walk down an aisle in a gun store, pull a revolver from an OC holster and spin it on his trigger finger. I reported it to a counter person and GTFO. As I got to the door they were already talking with the person and it looked like they were telling him to leave. So yeah, there are people who do that. Maybe not this guy around kids (we can always hope) but there are people that stupid.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top