JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not think the law of the land will be tied to the fate of the BATFE. If it (the BATFE) gets dismantled, the laws will still be in place, administered by a different agency. Just sayin.

I do not think the law of the land will be tied to the fate of the BATFE. If it (the BATFE) gets dismantled, the laws will still be in place, administered by a different agency. Just sayin.

Unfortunately if they were to dismantle the BATFE the agency that ends up taking over the job would probably be forced to hire most of the workers who lost their job at the original agency. You would end up with a short term improvement in attitude but drop in efficiency in things that help the public - say longer wait times for NFA paperwork approval etc... In the long run since they had to hire most of the same slobs that were laid off at the original agency eventually it would turn back into the same situation with only some upper management changes. Since upper mgt will be getting their info / reports from the people who were trained under ATF rule they will be presented with the same slant as was "preferred" by former mgt. and will shape their thinking patterns...
Inside of 3 years back to the same old same old.

Unfortunately if they were to dismantle the BATFE the agency that ends up taking over the job would probably be forced to hire most of the workers who lost their job at the original agency. You would end up with a short term improvement in attitude but drop in efficiency in things that help the public - say longer wait times for NFA paperwork approval etc... In the long run since they had to hire most of the same slobs that were laid off at the original agency eventually it would turn back into the same situation with only some upper management changes. Since upper mgt will be getting their info / reports from the people who were trained under ATF rule they will be presented with the same slant as was "preferred" by former mgt. and will shape their thinking patterns...
Inside of 3 years back to the same old same old.

I agree. Be careful what you wish for moment. I think that 3 years to get things back on track would be fairly accurate. FFL's would feel the pain first, and worst.

Can a WA State Class III/SOT Build Machineguns? I have always wanted a nice Russian Maxim... or at least a nice MP5.

OP is listed as Winchester / Roseburg Oregon resident.

That said I haven't checked into how the WA no machine gun parts laws apply to FFL holders. Also if the SOT gets you around the WA state laws then you would want an 07/02 license - 07 is manufacturing 02 is the SOT for manufacturing. With an 07/02 you don't have the $200 tax stamp on each item you make. If I recall its $5 or $15 per NFA item. If you are building firearms from scratch (say bending up AK flats and completing the gun) there is also a making tax (FET) based on the retail price of the gun. I don't know how many R&D guns you can make before they start asking questions about the FET.

you see, I'm looking into getting all my paperwork done, so I can run a gun business, and I'd like to shoot for my Class III one day, and it would be cool to get all that in order. I know it's a long shot, but I'm sure I could make some money doing what I like. even if it's not a lot in the end.

OP is listed as Winchester / Roseburg Oregon resident.

That said I haven't checked into how the WA no machine gun parts laws apply to FFL holders. Also if the SOT gets you around the WA state laws then you would want an 07/02 license - 07 is manufacturing 02 is the SOT for manufacturing. With an 07/02 you don't have the $200 tax stamp on each item you make. If I recall its $5 or $15 per NFA item. If you are building firearms from scratch (say bending up AK flats and completing the gun) there is also a making tax (FET) based on the retail price of the gun. I don't know how many R&D guns you can make before they start asking questions about the FET.

There is no law in WA that says you can not have MG parts. The laws says ......"any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle...." If that were not the case then almost every gun part would be illegal since it could be used in a machinegun. RCW 9.41.190: Unlawful firearms

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top