JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't feel like replacing a bunch of parts that work fine just to change the stock and pistolgrip. I like the looks of the thumbhole stock on my MAK90, but would prefer a regular stock with a pistol grip. It is also worth more in original condition.

I would like a set of standard stocks for it though. Just the stock and pistol grip in blonde wood.

For those that have asked, no I would not sell the original stock set. If I ever sell the MAK90, it will be original. Kind of funny wanting to keep anything recent Chinese in original condition for the sake of value, but it is what it is.

There are plenty of USA made options for wood stock sets that will fit your MAK90. Ironwood is one of my favorites, having had them do custom sets for me for other rifles, but Timbersmith and others will work too. The Chinese receiver is thicker, so any stock that goes into the receiver will need to be filed down. 922R rules are relevant, but that could be achieved by a USA made stock set and a Tapco magazine (6 parts) or a Tapco G2 FCG which os 3 with the stock set. I follow 922 rules even though they are retarded, they are the law. Ironwood makes stocks for both the straight and angle cut receiver. They will be more spendy and typically unfinished wood, but I do think they offer an option for finishing the set. If you are handy, you can do it easy. Beech wood is the closest in color the the original Chinese CHU wood if you want that look. They have nice option for Walnut or other types which are equally attractive. You could also just get an original handguard set and a thmbhole wood stock, as would have come on it at import and not have to deal with the 922. I may have something that will work for you or would be happy to offer advise on how to refinish an Ironwood set to look like an original type 56 rifle

P.S. I've met you, fitting up the rear stock will be a cinch. Sharp flat file and a sanding block.

P.P.S. All the Maks I have seen from that era had blonde thumb/butthole stocks. Is the plastic that's on it Chinese?
Not Chinese just ugly. I ordered a Archangel stock set for the stamped receiver. Unlike their 10-22 stock, this outfit looks pretty good and only $77 shipped

Ironwood is great stuff, can be had in either straight or slant cut (no adapters needed), with a variety of woods available, and will finish/stain to your request. Solid and damtuff, am very :)happy with the stocks Ive gotten from him over the years. There may be others making them now too. I have a Choate-made "Dragunov-style" alloy/zytel stock set that functions very well indeed and makes use of the inherent accuracy of the MAK-90:p (if accuracy is the correct word with any AK) and makes a small scope a less laffable and more useful proposition... JME, YMMV...

Last Edited:
There are plenty of USA made options for wood stock sets that will fit your MAK90. Ironwood is one of my favorites, having had them do custom sets for me for other rifles, but Timbersmith and others will work too. The Chinese receiver is thicker, so any stock that goes into the receiver will need to be filed down. 922R rules are relevant, but that could be achieved by a USA made stock set and a Tapco magazine (6 parts) or a Tapco G2 FCG which os 3 with the stock set. I follow 922 rules even though they are retarded, they are the law. Ironwood makes stocks for both the straight and angle cut receiver. They will be more spendy and typically unfinished wood, but I do think they offer an option for finishing the set. If you are handy, you can do it easy. Beech wood is the closest in color the the original Chinese CHU wood if you want that look. They have nice option for Walnut or other types which are equally attractive. You could also just get an original handguard set and a thmbhole wood stock, as would have come on it at import and not have to deal with the 922. I may have something that will work for you or would be happy to offer advise on how to refinish an Ironwood set to look like an original type 56 rifle
I looked at Ironwood, nice stuff. My problem is paying more for the stock set than I paid for my MAK90 w/thumbhole stock and then adding more parts to make it 922r compliant. It just seems like more money and work than I am ready to invest.

I don't shoot it as much as my SKS-M.

Last Edited:
I looked at Ironwood, nice stuff. My problem is paying more for the stock set than I paid for my MAK90 w/thumbhole stock and then adding more parts to make it 922r compliant. It just seems like more money and work than I am ready to invest.

I don't shoot it as much as my SKS-M.

Totally agree. If you are happy with the th stock then leave it. :)
I have at least one that stock rifle around here myself

You could always get one of these sets for it:
IMG_4762[1].jpg

Sorry, actually you can't, unless you make it yourself. I only made the one set, about 14 years ago, and it was a lot of work. It turned out pretty nice, though. It's Appleply, a beautiful, tough laminate.

You could always get one of these sets for it:
View attachment 477946

Sorry, actually you can't, unless you make it yourself. I only made the one set, about 14 years ago, and it was a lot of work. It turned out pretty nice, though. It's Appleply, a beautiful, tough laminate.
That there is some really NICE AK wood. Time well spent working that up, it stands apart from the herd!

Last Edited:
This one is not as handsome as the ones posted above. Shot the rifle today and I didn't have the opportunity to shoot for groups, but it's hell on bowling pins at around 50 yards. Thanks everyone for the advice. MAK 90.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top