JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hammocks, cots, or air pads/mattresses for the win ;) only real problem has been finding something thats light enough, sturdy enough, and can pack small... and support between 300 to 500+ lbs; not because of just me, but because sometimes the cot or air pad ends up having 2 to 3 people using it as a sofa :rolleyes:

So far the only things to meet these requirements that I have.. are the hammocks, usually with a change of suspension to Amsteel cord loops.

Air beds sometimes work but more often e d up being either prone to punctures, or too frigging heavy to pack in. Car camping, sometimes. But I'd just as soon as use a normal mil cot or stretcher for such camping with bigger tents and tarps :rolleyes:

Theres an older Thermarest Luxurylite Ultralite cot on Craigslist I'm eyeing... supposed to support up to 325 lbs, and packs small and weights around 3lbs.. I could probably cut some of that weight down by using much newer, sturdy fabric from Ripstop By The Roll who offers 2.2oz to 330D Cordura fabrics.

My homemade hammock uses 3 yards of 330D Cordura in woodland, and it has held me and the wife sitting in it just fine :D she has her own ultralight hammock from Gran Trunk, and I am trying out a lighter weight nylon "double" hammock which is from I think Outdoors something? Can't rightly remember :oops: got it on sale from Wal Mart, swapped out stock suspension and carabiners for adjustable amsteel "whoopie slings" which goes onto 1" no-stretch polyester tree straps.

Decided to see what I could pack into this 1980s, 1990s era backpack made by a seamstress named Judy; which is a heavy Cordura Nylon copy of a WW2 10th Mountain Rucksack. It is about the same size as the standby of Large ALICE pack, but quite a bit heavier, and far more sturdy due to the materials used. I added the thin kidney pad to it, as it came to me with a humongous sheepskin pad that definitely was not original to it. I also made the carrier for the cook pot set which is hooked to the M1910 style grommeted tab by an IDF sourced M1910 hook. View attachment 560671 View attachment 560670
External view of the rucksack loaded up.
View attachment 560672
Contents of the items in the external pockets and carrier; my A-Tacs FG pyramid shelter, cook pot set, canteen, all under a 3/8" foam pad

View attachment 560673
Lid underside with the metal zippered pocket

View attachment 560674
Current contents of the lid pocket. Obviously this is not gonna last me very long :rolleyes: I plan on getting more food items and see if I can stuff the lid pocket. Likely 2-3 days worth though.
View attachment 560676
Contents of the main compartment, Hirsch-Weiss down sleeping bag in a random camo sleeping bag carrier, 2 stuff sacks with clothes, and the Catoma USMC Improved Bug Net System pop-up bivy tent, on top of a USGI 1980s-1990s Cold Weather Parka with liner (sooo warrrm...)
View attachment 560678 View attachment 560677
The contents of the 2 smaller stuff sacks, 2x BDU pants, poly-wool blend long johns, polyester long sleeve base layer shirt, camo t shirt, pair of normal underwear, wool socks, and normal socks. I might combine them into a larger, compressible stuff sack later on, and make use of the smaller stuff sack for more foodstuff if needed. I think I should also acquire a compression stuff sack for the down sleeping bag.... so that I can actually free up the space.
The whole thing is pretty heavy, but bombproof.
Well there is a big difference between camping .
And BUG OUT.
camping is fun relaxing take your time enjoy the trip.
BUG OUT IS GRAB YOUR BAG AND GEAR THAT WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE.

Well there is a big difference between camping .
And BUG OUT.
camping is fun relaxing take your time enjoy the trip.
BUG OUT IS GRAB YOUR BAG AND GEAR THAT WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE.
I said alternate ;) If I gotta bug out of the campsite or the woods because some D*** Fool lit the woods on fire with fireworks.... :rolleyes: Then again, the actual get home contents and stuff are always in my vehicle when I'm within sight of it.

Decided to see what I could pack into this 1980s, 1990s era backpack made by a seamstress named Judy; which is a heavy Cordura Nylon copy of a WW2 10th Mountain Rucksack. It is about the same size as the standby of Large ALICE pack, but quite a bit heavier, and far more sturdy due to the materials used. I added the thin kidney pad to it, as it came to me with a humongous sheepskin pad that definitely was not original to it. I also made the carrier for the cook pot set which is hooked to the M1910 style grommeted tab by an IDF sourced M1910 hook. View attachment 560671 View attachment 560670
External view of the rucksack loaded up.
View attachment 560672
Contents of the items in the external pockets and carrier; my A-Tacs FG pyramid shelter, cook pot set, canteen, all under a 3/8" foam pad

View attachment 560673
Lid underside with the metal zippered pocket

View attachment 560674
Current contents of the lid pocket. Obviously this is not gonna last me very long :rolleyes: I plan on getting more food items and see if I can stuff the lid pocket. Likely 2-3 days worth though.
View attachment 560676
Contents of the main compartment, Hirsch-Weiss down sleeping bag in a random camo sleeping bag carrier, 2 stuff sacks with clothes, and the Catoma USMC Improved Bug Net System pop-up bivy tent, on top of a USGI 1980s-1990s Cold Weather Parka with liner (sooo warrrm...)
View attachment 560678 View attachment 560677
The contents of the 2 smaller stuff sacks, 2x BDU pants, poly-wool blend long johns, polyester long sleeve base layer shirt, camo t shirt, pair of normal underwear, wool socks, and normal socks. I might combine them into a larger, compressible stuff sack later on, and make use of the smaller stuff sack for more foodstuff if needed. I think I should also acquire a compression stuff sack for the down sleeping bag.... so that I can actually free up the space.
The whole thing is pretty heavy, but bombproof.

Decent. It's all specific to your location and needs and potential threats. I have been thinking about my BOB for a long time. I have a BOB that's designed to go in the car. I learned a great deal running around in the military that mobility is critical. You can't fight and move with a loaded alice pack unless you are in a large group ie infantry. Im a fan of a minimalist raid pack with integrated hydration.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads