JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Decided to see what I could pack into this 1980s, 1990s era backpack made by a seamstress named Judy; which is a heavy Cordura Nylon copy of a WW2 10th Mountain Rucksack. It is about the same size as the standby of Large ALICE pack, but quite a bit heavier, and far more sturdy due to the materials used. I added the thin kidney pad to it, as it came to me with a humongous sheepskin pad that definitely was not original to it. I also made the carrier for the cook pot set which is hooked to the M1910 style grommeted tab by an IDF sourced M1910 hook. DSCF2021.JPG DSCF2020.JPG
External view of the rucksack loaded up.
DSCF2022.JPG
Contents of the items in the external pockets and carrier; my A-Tacs FG pyramid shelter, cook pot set, canteen, all under a 3/8" foam pad

DSCF2023.JPG
Lid underside with the metal zippered pocket

DSCF2024.JPG
Current contents of the lid pocket. Obviously this is not gonna last me very long :rolleyes: I plan on getting more food items and see if I can stuff the lid pocket. Likely 2-3 days worth though.
DSCF2025.JPG
Contents of the main compartment, Hirsch-Weiss down sleeping bag in a random camo sleeping bag carrier, 2 stuff sacks with clothes, and the Catoma USMC Improved Bug Net System pop-up bivy tent, on top of a USGI 1980s-1990s Cold Weather Parka with liner (sooo warrrm...)
DSCF2027.JPG DSCF2026.JPG
The contents of the 2 smaller stuff sacks, 2x BDU pants, poly-wool blend long johns, polyester long sleeve base layer shirt, camo t shirt, pair of normal underwear, wool socks, and normal socks. I might combine them into a larger, compressible stuff sack later on, and make use of the smaller stuff sack for more foodstuff if needed. I think I should also acquire a compression stuff sack for the down sleeping bag.... so that I can actually free up the space.
The whole thing is pretty heavy, but bombproof.

Have you hiked around for awhile with some elevation gain/loss over obstacles? Ergonomics have come a long way in the last few decades.
Not with this specific bag, but with others... while yes ergonomics have indeed improved much, this bag is not a 100% copy of the ww2 Mountain Ruck which had canvas flat webbing for the shoulder straps and waist belt. The design is based on the Norweigan Mountain backpacks made by Bergans, which was developed for ski troops. It is said it could be used frameless, so that may be an option if the frame is not good on me.

Change your socks, change them often. A pair of lite moccasins are another good add on fore use around camp and to allow your boots to dry out at the end of the day.
Amazing how much great camping food is available in the supermarket these days at prices that beat the heck out of REI. :cool:

Change your socks, change them often. A pair of lite moccasins are another good add on fore use around camp and to allow your boots to dry out at the end of the day.
that's not a bad idea actually...and I could clip them to one of the grommeted tabs.
Amazing how much great camping food is available in the supermarket these days at prices that beat the heck out of REI. :cool:
Yup. The only thing I've ever bought from REI was on a gift card, was for the cook pot set thats seen here. At least, the only thing I can remember :rolleyes:

Found out about the Knorr Sides from a hiking/backpacker site...and then decided to see what else is there in the supermarket....yep theres good staples and good food at good prices..although theres sometimes Mountain House meals in the camping section. I like using the bulk food section to make my own trail mix, I buy the individual ingredients first then mix them all at home...and portion them out in ziplock baggies, that way, I save some money, and I can tailor the mix to my tastes :D My wife prefers to buy hers premixed, packaged....
Once upon a time, I bought a couple packs of those foil packed, cooked chicken...from Tyson Foods.... never again. smelled just like cat food :confused::s0170:

The Arcteryx USMC ILBE is about as good as it gets regarding cost, durability comfort and weight.

They can be found for around $100.

I used to have ALICE packs but tossed them after donning the ILBE. I've carried mine with 55# for 6 days with elevation gains / loss over over 3000'. Routinely for less days and less elevation. It is rugged, vert well built and comfortable.

If anyone is hasn't looked at these yet I strongly suggest doing so.

Here is a review. Prices have continued to drop from what's mentioned in the article as the surplus market supply grows

The Arc'teryx USMC ILBE Gen 2 Backpack Review - RangerMade

How much does it weigh, and with how much water on board?
Dont have a reliable weight thing, but I can say its a bit heavy without the water :confused: not as heavy as the full military load with ammo and usgi sleeping equipment amd 4 qts of water on the MOLLE rucksack :rolleyes: I suppose its just around 35 pounds without water... frame and bag is a little heavier than ALICE Large ruck with frame.

Personal, I really like the Mountain House Products because you can eat the Hot or Dry but like other foods you will have trade offs. I also like the Alice Packs with or without the Frames.

Personal, I really like the Mountain House Products because you can eat the Hot or Dry but like other foods you will have trade offs. I also like the Alice Packs with or without the Frames.
Me too, use them every year on my motorcycle trips...found out Raccoons like them too...LOL

This is my GHB list. Comes in at 36 lbs. including the 3L of water.

Kelty Redwing Backpack
Snukpak Dri-Sak Medium
Packtowel 10"x14"
Snow Peak Titanium Spork
Maratac Peanut Lighter
UCO Stormproof Match Kit
North Northflex Cold Grip Plus 5 Gloves (Winter)
SOL Escape Lite Bivvy
Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow
Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad Rain Pants
Frogg Toggs Java Toadz 2.5 Rain Jacket
Sawyer Squeeze Hydration Kit
Sawyer Water Filter Bottle
Platypus GravityWorks 2L Water Reservoir
Evernew 1.5L Hydration Pack
Katadyn Micropur Water Purification Tablets
Camelbak Mil-Spec Antidote Water Bladder
3 Liters Water
Bluefield Medium Pack Rain Cover
Kenyon Polartec Thermal Henley
ECWCS Gen III Level 2 Thermal Shirt (Winter)
Polartec 100 Microfleece Pants (Winter)
2 Smartwool Hike Liner Socks
Wigwam Merino Wool Comfort Hiker Socks
Terramar Briefs
Outdoor Research Sentinel Sun Hat
Fleece Hat
The North Face Fleece Neck Gaiter (Winter)
4 Mountain House Pro-Paks
4 MRE Flameless Ration Heaters
8 Bridgford MRE Sandwiches
5-Hour energy
Other Misc. Food
Kamui Tarp
Casio Triple Sensor Watch
Fenix HL30 Headlamp
3 AA Batteries
Anker PowerCore+ Mini Portable Charger
RAVPower Mini USB Car Charger
Silva Ranger CLQ Compass
Leatherman Skeletool CX
Edge Dakura Polarized Safety Glasses
BaoFeng BF-F8HP Handheld Radio
Nagoya NA-24J Antenna
BaoFeng 3800mAh High-Capacity Battery
3M Aura N95 Flat-Fold Dust Masks
Reading Glasses
Insect head net
Fishing gear
Earplugs
Cash
Government ID
Electronic documents
Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch Lite with the following:

· 4" Israeli Pressure Bandage
· NAR Black Talon Gloves
· H&H Compressed Gauze
· Hyfin Vented Chest Seals
· QuikClot Combat Gauze
· CAT Tourniquet
· Prestige Medical EMT Shears
· SOL Duct Tape
· Nasopharyngeal Airway w/Surgilube
· Water-Jel 4x4 Military Burn Dressing
· 2" Roll Gauze
· 4" Gauze Sponge
· Wood Tongue Depressor/Splint
· Tweezers
· Needle
· Minor Injury Kit w/OTC Medications

Sanitation Kit with the following:

· 6 Cleansing wipes
· Toilet paper
· Hand sanitizer
· Toothpaste
· Dental floss
· Soap
· Sunblock
· Insect repellent
· Toothbrush

Snukpak Dri-Sak Large
SOL Escape Bivvy
Titan Paracord 25'
Fallkniven S1 Forest Knife
Aqua Quest Safari 10x10 Tarp
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Regular Sleeping Pad
Ledge Sports Scorpion Sleeping Bag
3 Tent Stakes

Bathroom scale says 24 lbs, and this without water. Hmm. My gut said more than that but seems thats not a bad weight for its size and bulk :eek: considering that theres a lot of small items and other things not included in the preliminary pack list...

Bathroom scale says 24 lbs, and this without water. Hmm. My gut said more than that but seems thats not a bad weight for its size and bulk :eek: considering that theres a lot of small items and other things not included in the preliminary pack list...

Adding 3L of water would make it about 31 lbs. but that's not bad as long as you have everything you need. I plan my food to last 4 days at 2100 calories/day, and 7 days at starvation rations of 1200 calories/day.

The Arcteryx USMC ILBE is about as good as it gets regarding cost, durability comfort and weight.

They can be found for around $100.

I used to have ALICE packs but tossed them after donning the ILBE. I've carried mine with 55# for 6 days with elevation gains / loss over over 3000'. Routinely for less days and less elevation. It is rugged, vert well built and comfortable.

If anyone is hasn't looked at these yet I strongly suggest doing so.

Here is a review. Prices have continued to drop from what's mentioned in the article as the surplus market supply grows

The Arc'teryx USMC ILBE Gen 2 Backpack Review - RangerMade

Don't forget FILBE as an option: FILBE - Marine Modular Backpack System

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews