JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I typically reload a 9mm handgun using small pistol primers. Are there safety concerns using magnum primers instead? I've read magnum ignites faster and they are harder on the firing pin. I use Accurate #5 powder. Should I avoid using? If so, what are they typically used for?

If that is all you have use them. I would however back out of your powder charge about 10 percent from your loads with regular spp. Spm primers are generally used for magnum cartridges with longer columns of powder like .357 mag using h110 powder.

I typically reload a 9mm handgun using small pistol primers. Are there safety concerns using magnum primers instead? I've read magnum ignites faster and they are harder on the firing pin. I use Accurate #5 powder. Should I avoid using? If so, what are they typically used for?
Covered many times here. The reloading books list if a load needs them such as 357 or others really depends on powder used and what data dictates but not always necessary. You can use them but back off the charge a grain or so at least. Also have used small rifle in small pistol loads as well, they're just thicker cups.

This will tell you more, it's a sticky at the top of this section.

harder on the firing pin.
Not really going to wear it any faster, but it is harder to ignite a magnum primer. This is important if you have a rather weak firing spring. Some old and/or extra small pistols might have an issue. So if you are reloading for something that really needs to go bang every time then you should test your loads and look carefully at the primer indent compared to regular small pistol primers.

But personally I have found no issues for any of my 9mm. Primer shortages have caused many to do a bunch of testing. You can find some good youtube vids on this.

Using the recognized published manuals and data......
"Start low and work your way up."

1672346315497.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany