Gun Deals
Defensive Arts
J&B Firearm Sales
Southwest Firearms Forum
Oregon Rifleworks

Magazine Capacity..WA.

Capn Jack

Reactions
I've looked through the hunting regs for Washington and I don't find any mention of magazine capacity for semi-automatic rifles...Have I missed something???:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions
You have NOT missed anything. 4 years ago, the 5 round capacity limit was lifted. There is now no longer a limit on your semi-auto hunting rifle. I would not recommend anyone who needs more than 5 shots to even be out in the woods, however, it is legal to carry around a 30 round magazine in your 30-06 if you choose. Technically speaking, one can use a 30 round magazine in an SKS for Elk if they wanted to... not recommended by the Fish and Game Department or by me..

I have called the Washington State Fish and Game Enforcement Office to verify this.

.243 is still the smallest caliber to hunt large game with, however, coyote and cougar can both be hunted with a .22 centerfire round.

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
Thanks Jaybo:s0155: I've got a 7.62x39 upper on my AR and the smallest magazine I can find is 10 rnds. As for "Big Game" hunting...I tend to think of the 7.62 as a rapid fire 30-30.:p:s0114:

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
This coming season will be my first time using the AR for hunting. Personally I have always been a meat hunter and try mainly for neck shots, but in the past I've used a 30-06.:)

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
Hotwheelz:D
I believe that's a Federal Law governing migratory water fowl, but most states use it as a general shotgun reg. Like the comercial says, "I don't care as long as it goes -"Bang, Bang, Bang"...:p:s0114:

Reactions
Here in the state of Washington... its 3 rounds for waterfowl (shotgun) and it has to be lead-free shot. Dont get caught without the plug in it, (if its capable of holding more) cause the Gamies dont take to kindly to the defense of "I didnt know"... 8)

It used to be 5 round max on hunting calibers for long rifles, but again.. that is not the case anymore.:s0155:

Oh ya.. one other pointer... IF you are an archery hunter.. and you go out hunting coyote with a rifle... you still need to wear orange during any modern firearm season.. (I know.. its a big duh.. but).... had a friendly Gamie give a very nice reminder!

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
Thanks Jaybo, We're not a string shooter. I pinned a Jack Rabbit to the ground once (early in life) with an arrow...Had to kill it with a rock. I never will forget it's squealing. I've never had a deer I've shot make more than a coulpe of jumps, most of the time they would just fold. Strange as it sounds, I don't like to HURT animals.:(

Reactions
Thanks Jaybo, We're not a string shooter. I pinned a Jack Rabbit to the ground once (early in life) with an arrow...Had to kill it with a rock. I never will forget it's squealing. I've never had a deer I've shot make more than a coulpe of jumps, most of the time they would just fold. Strange as it sounds, I don't like to HURT animals.:(
No jack that sounds right it is a lot different killing an animal to eat and just torturing it

Reactions
This is my first "bow" season.. and I havnet shot at anything yet. I was out of state for the firearm season... so.... I had to do the next best thing! Plus I get to spend quite a bit more time in the woods, as the season is a lot longer, and I can bag a doe, which is always a bonus, since I'm bound to get one of those!!! (Front yard counts right?!)

OP
Capn Jack

Capn Jack

Reactions
My Uncle and Aunt used to have a place outside of Oakville and I used to tell him he should at least step off of the porch.:p:D

Been nice, but we're probably using up server time.:s0155:

Reactions
I dont think the 5 round would be an issue with grouse, however, I think duck season coincides with the same season, so I wouldn't chance being caught with it, and trying to convince a gamie that your not really out duck hunting.. (although I could see the arguement if you were NOWHERE near a body of water)... Personnaly, a .22 or 17hmr is my caliber of choice for rabbit.. although, hitting them on the run is a wee bit more challenging;)

Reactions
From Washington Administrative Code:
WAC 232-12-047
(2) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.

Reactions
I stand corrected...

Apparently.. I wouldn't have been able to talk my way out of that one.. no matter what I said!

You may not be able to use more than 3 rounds in your shotgun... but a 50 round AK or AR is still legit for big game hunting tho..???!?!

Some laws make me wonder...

Thanks. :cool:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to pick up some parts for an AR style 10/22 and to start my journey into building an AR by picking up a lower. Staff was super helpful and...
    • Hueco
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been a member for 6 years, been shooting there (as a guest) for three years before that. I found the Ladies League and was hooked. It's the...
    • PacwestDefense
  • Barkley's Buy-Sell-Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been patronizing this pawn shop for a few years now. Very happy with the deals I find, both firearm and other. Prices for transfers are...
    • trekkerpaul
  • Sharp Shooting Indoor Range & Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    So far I have bought 2 new Sig p938 pistols and a marlin golden 39A from sharp shooting.the staff is very helpfull, nice shooting range,lots of...
    • Xrperry

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS