JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I have a nice,clean bore m91/30 with bayonet and 440rnd spam can. Priced for quick sale. $230 FTF in Vancouver pm or email me [email protected]
8258A6FD-B0CA-47CE-BD97-0F45FBFBCA11-155-00000007DB477125.jpg

?I was under the impression that you only need to go through an FFL if it was a handgun across state lines? I am new to the area so I am not entirely familiar with the local laws yet. I thought you can do face to face transfers across state lines with long guns. I will read up so I am properly educated. If only Vancouver wasn't so far from Bellingham.

^^^^you sir are correct. I was told that and didn't believe it either, so I called ATF in Seattle and they confirmed. Not saying I'm selling to ore w/O Ffl but I trust ATF more than the "sticky"

ATF and local law enforcement have a habit of not knowing what the **** they're talking about. If you get busted they won't care that someone you talked to on the phone said it was ok. Unless you have a signed letter on ATF letterhead that says it's ok I wouldn't believe it.

Here is the ATF's website Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

It is the first question listed:

"A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]"

I think this is getting a little confusing.

The problem is the wording.
A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State.
A licensee is: a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector.

So two private individuals are prohibited from FTF transactions across state lines, unless the transaction takes place with a licensed individual involved (i.e. FFL).

Does that make sense?

One more thing.

As per http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr178.31.pdf

§ 178.30 Out-of-State disposition of
firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell,
trade, give, transport, or deliver any
firearm to any other nonlicensee, who
the transferor knows or has reasonable
cause to believe does not reside in (or if
the person is a corporation or other
business entity, does not maintain a
place of business in) the State in which
the transferor resides: Provided, That
the provisions of this section:
(a) shall not apply to the transfer,
transportation, or delivery of a firearm
made to carry out a bequest of a firearm
to, or any acquisition by intestate
succession of a firearm by, a person
who is permitted to acquire or possess
a firearm under the laws of the State of
his residence; and
(b) shall not apply to the loan or
rental of a firearm to any person for
temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[T.D. ATF–313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57
FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]

Thanks for the actual references. Thank god I live far away from any other states. I might have mistakenly broken the law, if I was closer to a state line. If I am reading correctly though, you may "rent" the firearm to a non FFL? That seems quite ambiguous. You might be able to "rent" a gun for its value, for an indeterminate amount of time, and loose contact with the "renter".

That being said I always encourage full co operation of the law; even if the IRS doesn't.
GLWS and let me know if you come up north for some reason.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.