JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't understand the appeal of a 16" .308. Is it for masochists, maybe? :) It's not like a few more inches of barrel is going to make the gun unmanageable. Shooting should be enjoyable.

If I was a masochist, I wouldn't mess around with a .308. Instead I'd get a lightweight .338 WM, cut the barrel to 16" and then install a steel buttplate. ;)

I do have a 16" .30 cal gun, but it is one of those little Handi-rifles in .300 BLK. I guess I can handle the blast from that, heh.
I find shooting an AR10 in .308 with a 16" barrel and a regular birdcage flash hider to be just fine. It's when you start messing with muzzle brakes that the report and concussion can get obnoxious. I agree with you another two inches of barrel is not out of line.

A 20" barrel seems to be the optimal length for .308, but you really don't give up much performance using a barrel that's 16" in length. In capable hands, the 16" can reach 1000 yards effectively when using appropriate ammunition. You shouldn't feel under gunned with the shorter barrel, I don't.

Well I wanted a 16" 308 to get it in and out of a vehicle more quickly and easily. I have others with 18" and 20". I don't need nor want anything bigger than 308. I do think 22" is what the military selected as 'best'. The Army said maximum effective range was 500 yards. That was the distance you could likely recognize a man-sized target with open sights.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top