JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1466fe38d4968646664935fc6d7df20280c1432eb70.jpg

I don't have experience with the SOCOM model but I have shot and owned the Scout and the full size rifle. They are my favorite rifles in 308 both in looks and performance.

I like the size of the 16 but it has two issues that bug me.

The first is the muzzle break is very loud and second you cannot change it out without buying a whole new gas port/muzzle break at 200 to 300 dollars.

If you go to the 18 in bbl Scout Squad it has a standard gas block and muzzle break that can be changed out easy.

If you never plan to suppress it or change breaks it does not matter.

Other than these issues great fun rifles.

Last Edited:
I really like my Springfield M1a full size. It's a heavy rifle and absorbs the recoil from the 308 extremely well.
Walnut stock
22 inch barrel
Suppressor
4-12 scope

Yes. Get it. And soon.
That or get a standard M1A
People complain about the larger front sight post obscuring distant targets but you can swap that out anyway.

Recoil and muzzle flash are minimal even with the 16" barrel. I love mine and will NEVER sell it. I do regret selling my standard M1A though, that shot just beautifully.

You should buy any gun your interested in.

Follow your passion. Right? ;)

I cannot agree with this more if you want it get it as life is two short. I hunted with a full size one for about 7 years and yes it is heavy compared to modern bolt action rifles but it was a joy to shoot and did the job I asked it to do very well. I have played with the 16 in and 18 and the 18 is still my favorite.

I guess I should not say too much as my current hunting rifle is a DSA SA58 with a 16 in that replace the M1A.

Scout all the way. Socom is a strange little beast. Super fun, you won't make any friends to the left or right of you when shooting. Not for HD unless you're already deaf and dgaf about lighting that thing off in enclosed spaces. That comp is absurd.

I fired a Springfield SOCOM 16 a few years before I commissioned Smith Enterprise to build their CQB-16 for me. The Socom is a great little blaster, and the proprietary factory muzzle brake/comp works as advertised, but the blast & occasional fire ball are more than some can handle.

I am using the SOCOM 16 muzzle device kit that Smith Enterprise makes, gas lock front sight base that accepts standard GI & NM front sights, a DC Vortex flash hider, and their extra volume gas plug. SEI's kit makes the 16.25" barrel a pleasure to shoot & suppress. Mine has been in many different stocks, and it's at it's best in a Blackfeather RS.

IMG_5208.JPG
IMG_5209.JPG

I fired a Springfield SOCOM 16 a few years before I commissioned Smith Enterprise to build their CQB-16 for me. The Socom is a great little blaster, and the proprietary factory muzzle brake/comp works as advertised, but the blast & occasional fire ball are more than some can handle.

I am using the SOCOM 16 muzzle device kit that Smith Enterprise makes, gas lock front sight base that accepts standard GI & NM front sights, a DC Vortex flash hider, and their extra volume gas plug. SEI's kit makes the 16.25" barrel a pleasure to shoot & suppress. Mine has been in many different stocks, and it's at it's best in a Blackfeather RS.

View attachment 316339
View attachment 316340

That's a beauty

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR