JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm the proud owner of a NM M1A that is unfired (so far) that I got off a used rack. The issue is that when dry fired the hammer is against the bolt and the bolt will not open unless I take my foot and place the rifle butt on the ground and muzzel in the air and force the bolt open. When the rifle is cocked the bolt works as it is supposed to. I have had and do own several M1 Grands and used both M1's and M14's in the military and have never had this problem. I'm suslpection the hammer spring is too heavy. I called Springfield and they want me to send the rifle back to them. I'm sure this is an easyer fix than sending and paying for the rifle shipping since everything else about the gun is really good. I'm ammazed that this rifle left the factory at all. Any suggestions other than sending it back would be helpful. Thanks.

Pull the trigger group out and test your theory. You can check for other possible bugs as well. What happens when you dry fire it? A really sharp/loud impact?
You cab get spring kits from Wolff Springs and I think Fulton Armory sell them too.

Good luck!

If you still have that M1....well, the small parts in the trigger group are the same (IIRC). Switch some and do various combinations.

And, since you're taking it apart. Also, check for wear and rub marks that shouldn't be. That would also include the op rod and gas cylinder and bolt etc....

Grease and oil (where it's appropriate). Then, reassemble.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top