JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently came into an old Springfield, so I cleaned it up. Obviously, since I'm making this thread, I don't have vast knowledge of this rifle. I've taken them apart a fair amount of times in the past, but when I reassembled this one I had an "extra" part.

It doesn't look familiar to me, and I can't seem to find it in any parts diagrams. Hoping somebody can help me out since I'm sure it was not superfluous.

D374E526-E550-490C-9B84-8C8F693A9DD7.jpeg 20F6B158-500B-45DB-94BB-1DD1EFF9D3FC.jpeg 1EA5BADD-B923-4C18-A9CB-094B89326759.jpeg 2F5ADFE2-D032-4C54-A4D8-9B12ADEC0E79.jpeg

That Part is Definitely a Block for an M1 w/ a 7.62NATO/ .308 Chambered Bbl.

Looks a bit rough to be one of the left overs from Italian Production but should work.

What does your Bbl Nomenclature read on the Breach area w/ the Op Rod Retracted?

Or try to insert a .308 cartridge/ or brass vs 30.06..
It's Sole Purpose is to Prevent someone from Loading in an Enbloc of M2 Ball and then slaming the bolt forward.
The .308 will Jam tight...OUCH!!!

It is not necessary for the rifle to function correctly w/ it not there...,
just a precaution to prevent inserting 30.06.

If you do have a .308 Bbl & want to replace it Google a "How To" for a wee bit of help.

It's easy, just have to include it when assembling the Internals at the bullet guide/ Op Rod Catch stage..

That is an import mark. However it was likely imported as a 308. Wonder if you have a foreign conversion. What is the barrel length from the front of the receiver to the end of the muzzle?

Recently came into an old Springfield, so I cleaned it up. Obviously, since I'm making this thread, I don't have vast knowledge of this rifle. I've taken them apart a fair amount of times in the past, but when I reassembled this one I had an "extra" part.

It doesn't look familiar to me, and I can't seem to find it in any parts diagrams. Hoping somebody can help me out since I'm sure it was not superfluous.

View attachment 1216746 View attachment 1216747 View attachment 1216748 View attachment 1216749
Go and pickup the most recent Guns & Ammo magazine. They have about a 6 page spread w/ pics on the old M-1s. Has a silver coverpage