JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've given up on shortie 5.56s, they're just awful to shoot. The blast is brutal, and you lose more energy than I'm comfortable with. Got rid of my 10.5" guns, I feel better served with a pistol caliber carbine than I did with them. 30 carbine wouldn't be my first choice either, though.
An 1l.5 or 12.5" is my choice for a 5.56" shorty. Plenty of velocity left for the intended ranges and with a good flash hider, I find them quite tame. They also stomp the crap out of any pistol caliber in terminal performance. If it must be shorter than 11.5", a 300blk would better choice.

This inquiry may be based on this thread, or perhaps one other I created.

Between these two in the present battery:

pequenas-armas-de-fuego-jpg.jpg

The choice for me is the War Baby on the left. (It will soon be joined by a more loquacious stablemate.)

Naturally, to each their own. :s0155:

SBR as parts and ammo are more available. Lots of ways to soften recoil. my 5.56 10.5 shoots really flat and i have a muzzle break with blast shield which helps a lot with noise and concussion.

An 1l.5 or 12.5" is my choice for a 5.56" shorty. Plenty of velocity left for the intended ranges and with a good flash hider, I find them quite tame. They also stomp the crap out of any pistol caliber in terminal performance. If it must be shorter than 11.5", a 300blk would better choice.
I have less distaste for the 300 in a shorty. For me, the reduced blast of a PCC makes up for the lower power. Throw in the lighter ammo, more compact magazines, it just fits my needs for a compact pack gun better. Could all be excuses because I just hate shooting them, feel like my teeth have loosened every time I take a sub-10.5 5.56 to the range. Feels like there's more recoil in most PCCs I've used, but they're so much gentler on the skull.

As for use, my mind goes to reasonably close encounters. I'm confident in my little 9mm carbine for that. Longer range, and not needing something tucked away in a compact bag, I'll grab my rifle instead of a compromise gun. Honestly, I really only expect to use my ammo on paper, steel, and the occasional critter I'd like to cook.

SBR as parts and ammo are more available. Lots of ways to soften recoil. my 5.56 10.5 shoots really flat and i have a muzzle break with blast shield which helps a lot with noise and concussion.
Yep. If I'm allowed to put a linear comp on the 5.56 then that's what I'd go with. I've owned 7.5 and 10.5 inch ARs and the concussion from the 10.5 is bad but the 7.5 is brutal. A linear compensator can make a huge difference. The availability of 5.56 ammunition is a big plus too. With no comp I'd be pretty tempted to go with the carbine though.

And if we throw out the rules I'd want a 12 or 14 inch 300BLK. You get hard hitting subsonic or near .308 performance just by switching mags.

I found the 9mm ar pistols I built had pretty decent felt recoil because of the extra reciprocating mass the blowback design requires. I figured if I was going to have that amount of recoil I might as well have the terminal performance of a rifle round, so down the road they went. They are fun and I know the 9mm ar's are all the rage but they are just not my cup of tea. As far as the op's original question, I would choose 5.56 for most of the reasons mentioned. However, I would probably prefer 7.62x 39 if the net was cast a bit wider.

Last Edited: